What is going on here?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by caroline00, Sep 26, 2006.

1. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

we have had 2 goats in the back, cannot be seen from the house. The kids have been milking them. I glance once in a while but more at the children and how they are doing than at these particular goats.

Last week we moved them up front, so they are with the other goats and can be seen from the house.

The first time I *really* looked at the LaMancha she looked a bit bloated... she was eating well, acting normal except for laying around the yard a bit more than the others.

She just keeps slowly getting bigger. It is a low carriage.. she is sort of sunk in near the hipbones, backbone. She looks like she is pregnant with twins.. just a nice double bulge, one on each side of her body. It doesnt feel like it is full of air etc.. it is fairly solid. She was not *fat* when we got her...

I dont remember when we got her.. probobly May or June/ possibly July. She has not been with a buck on our property. I am used to the vulva of a pregnant doe to be smoother (not wrinkled) and pinker. WE are still milking her. I am beginning to dry her up, just because???? I guess I could heat her milk to see if there is any colostrum mixed up in there???

What do you think?

2. TC

TC Well-Known Member

If she is "heavy" pregnant, by now, you should be able to feel them. I find the easiest way to do this, is late at night when they are sleeping. I run my hand down to their right side and wait. I can usually feel them after they are about 4 months pregnant. However, some does, you never can feel it.

3. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I never can "feel" for kids. I think it takes talent! Hopefully you've got the touch. What you could do is watch for her heat periods, and if she doesn't seem to have any, she's gotta be pregnant... but she could be really quiet about them too.

Good luck!

4. TC

TC Well-Known Member

I can never "feel" them either, unless they are laying down resting. I can never feel them standing up. If your goats are tame enough to walk up to them while they are sleeping, try to feel then. The baby goats inside, seem to be active at night, maybe that's why. :shrug:

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Have you tried bouncing her?

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Feeding will also wake the kids up and get them active. This makes bumping easier.
    Our new June purchase appears to be about a month from kidding. I bumped a fetus.

7. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry. If you can afford to dry her up then do so. It would be hard to watch for a developing udder though, huh, if she is milking right now, hmmmm. if you got her at the beginning of July, she might be due in a month or two?

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Was she exposed to a buck within the two to three months before you purchased her?

Another possibility is that she is adjusting to the new browse/hay. Her rumen is adapting to the enw feed and you are just now seeing it.
    Or she could be pregnant. lol
    Our doe was a June purchase and just today she has the low carriage and is showing some hay gut, where she hasn't before. The change in her roughage has changed her appearance. The baby belly is just something I tend to notice early on. With her, her udder is filling that was the biggest clue. Then bumping the fetus was the give away.

I would try bumping her, bouncing her, whatever you want to call it. Check just in front of her udder. You may need to work at it if there is just one. Choose about the time she has eaten some grain.