What is "Evangelizing"

Discussion in 'HomesteadingToday Announcements & Support' started by Chuck, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay folks, here is the definition of "evangelizing," which is a no-no here at HT.

Short definition:

- Using HT as a bully pulpit to foist your worldview on others.

exception: expressing your opinion on a matter is not evangelizing, unless it is done in such a way as to make it clear that you are not interested in providing "neighborly help and thoughtful discussion" on a topic.

- Consistently adding "bad seeds" to a conversation, especially when you are contributing little or nothing of value elsewhere.

- someone who comes here for the express reason that we have a large audience of people who don't share their views. Some people see this as a "target rich environment" and go a-blasting with their views, like killing in a baited field.

- People who think it is fun to wail on "ignorant" folks with their "enlightened" worldview. I don't care if it's coming from the right or the left, that's not what this place is for.

exception: being passionate about one's beliefs is encouraged. Being mean about them is not.

- "Camping out" on GC, while rarely contributing to homesteading related topics, making multiple posts which push one agenda.

- Using HT as an aggregator to post news items that deal with a specific topic unrelated to homesteading.

Now for a more thorough explanation - copied from another post:

HT is a very unique and special place - it's a place where people of diverse worldviews congregate to share their love of simple living, homesteading and small farming.

It's really nice to be able to converse with people who don't think like I do. Think about it, how often, in your "real" life, do you get to discuss the issues with people who have such vastly diverse worldviews, all in one place? If you're like me, most of your personal interaction is with people who, for the most part, believe like you do.

So HT is really cool that way. Now, some folks see this less as an opportunity to learn about other people's worldviews, and more as a target rich environment. They come here to prey upon people's sensibilities, to assault their beliefs, to "hard-sell" what they think to others. Like the most annoying street-preacher who jumps up in your face and screams "REPENT!" when he hasn't even taken the time to ask your name.

Everybody hates to be around people like that.

Because of our unique properties, we get those kind of people here from time to time. Sometimes they are fire-and-brimstone, yer-headed-for-hell type folks who just can't wait to tell you how much God hates you because you don't go to their church or something. These people get me riled up worse than anyone else.

Then, we get people on the other side of the political spectrum - who can't believe that anyone could be so stupid as to: A. love this country, or B. vote Republican, or C. Believe in an objective standard of right and wrong.

Now, look. You're free to believe any of those things, but when you start to see HT as a bully pulpit where you can come to bash on people who aren't as "enlightened" as you are, then you are "evangelizing."

Could a "gay of the day" thread qualify? Not if it was an isolated incident. But if it's part of a concerted campaign to "educate" the "ignorant" people here, then yes, it could be.

Bottom line: Dean's suggestion is a good one. HT is not blogspot. If you want to beat your drum on your favorite hot-button issue, that would be a good place to start.

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

as much as it paines me to compleatly agree with Caballoviejo, I do in this case.

but I didnt want to make the complaint without first thinking of an alternative word to suggest

for the life of me I cant think of a better word to decribe the problem but if there was one I think you should concider changing to it as to not further offend the evangelicals on this forum

my .02

shellybo and Sumatra like this.
  3. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Possibilities:

Sermonize
    Exhort
    Harangue
    Preachify

Dunno, just throwing some out there.

4. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

I agree with caballoviejo. The way you are describing evangelizing has nothing to do with the commonly accepted definition of evangelizing, and it seems to be derogatory to those whose beliefs lead them to evangelize. Why take a word with a distinctly Christian meaning and then assign it to behaviors that have nothing to do with preaching the gospel to others? Are we so bereft of words in our language that we have to make up new meanings for existing words? Don't confuse evangelizing with bullying, as they are two entirely different behaviors.

Seems to be you are talking about trolling, baiting or some combination of other discourteous behaviors. I'd say at least 98 percent of people are on good behavior here, and as for the other two percent, no exhortations are going to change their behavior, so the advice to "ignore people who irritate you" seems pragmatic.

shellybo likes this.
  5. Chuck

I think I described very thoroughly what I meant by "evangelizing," and sufficiently differentiated my definition from the "christian" one. Evangelizing isn't a Christian word, any more than "praying" is. - though in today's culture it's often associated as such.

6. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

<stands and quietly applauds Chuck>

Woodsmokeinherhair!

7. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Proselytizing: definitions below.
    To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
    To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

8. Country

Country Well-Known Member

I was looking for the origins of the word "evangelize" and this is what I could come up with.

The relevant Greek words are evangelizo, used 55 times, evangelion, used 77 times, and evangelistes, used 3 times. In Greek, eu means “good” and angelos (nearly always translated “angel”) means “messenger,” “one who is sent in order to announce, teach, or perform anything” (E.W. Bullinger Lexicon). The idea conveyed by the evangelizo word group is that of proclaiming a good message, or good news. In the KJV, the verb evangelizo is translated “preach,” “preach the gospel,” “bring good tidings,” “show the glad tidings,” “addressed with the gospel,” and “declared.” Bullinger’s Lexicon says it is “to bring someone into relation with the divine glad message of salvation.” The noun evangelion is always translated “gospel,” and the noun evangelistes is transliterated into “evangelist.”

Interestingly, a corresponding Old Testament Hebrew word was often used of a messenger coming from a place of battle and proclaiming victory over the enemy. In Greek literature, evangelizo was also used of liberation from enemies, as well as deliverance from demonic power.

I don't think your description fits any of these. But I do believe that these are the definitions that anyone would have in mind when seeing the announcement to your sticky. As Moonwolf pointed out, the word proselytizing is much closer by definition to what you are looking for.

You may want to change the wording of your announcement to lessen the chances of you being accused of doing what you are warning others not to do. Simple enough way to avoid confusion and hurt feelings.

motdaugrnds and aleefarms like this.
  9. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Chuck, I am not remotely christian, and I have to agree that a better choice of word could have been used, why insult a group of people for no reason when better options exist that would not upset anyone? Other than that I like the idea itself!

10. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Ok so this is the unwritten rule that I am accused of breaking? :shrug:

Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel

Why does that rile you up? As a Christian show me in the Bible where I am at fault, I think this is very reasonable, I am subject to correction backed by scriptures. Also I tell you what the Bible says, because it is a special book of historical references, and future events, and it is relevant to most conversation dealing with man.1 John 3:14

11. Chuck

First, Show me in the Bible where it says you can save someone's soul by annoying the hell out of them.

gardenGnostic and Scott SW Ohio like this.
  12. ladycat

I know that wasn't meant to be funny, but I almost spewed food all over my keyboard.

13. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

lol, i just saw that for the first time. i am glad my cup was empty. hehe

14. charles burns

charles burns Well-Known Member

What an interesting thread. I never clicked on it before not really wanting to know the rules on evangelizing (I followed 'ladycat' in here, I like reading her posts) - I too associate the word with the delivery of some kind of divine message.

I prefer the word 'proselytizing' if I may direct a blow at the proverbial dead horse. I never really knew what the word meant and now I do. You learn something everyday, yup yup yup.

15. ladycat

LOL.

There are certain members I follow around, too, because I like their posts.

16. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

I was following ladycat around just to make sure she doesn't get into trouble.

J/K :p

Jenn likes this.
  17. ladycat

Oh boy! My own Nanny! :p

18. bridget

bridget Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think the admin forum is the most interesting out of all of them. :bouncy:

19. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Lordy, I have to agree with that!

And, Chuck, we may not always agree, but I like you and thank you for my first laugh of the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.