What is eating me beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by figmus, May 12, 2004.

1. figmus

figmus Member

This is the first year (out of 4) that some bug has decided to feast on my beans (& Brocoli). I am getting pin hole leaves, is there a safe pesticide or other home remedy to help out? I planted extra and have not thinned so far, so there will be a crop this year. Any help is appreciated.

2. DAVEOO8

DAVEOO8 Member

Sounds like it could be flea beetles but thats just a guess. If u look real close & see somthing that looks like a liitle black speck & it hops thats a flea beetle. I used neem oil spary on my beans last yr & the bugs stayed away. u can get it just about any place they sell garden stuff. good luck with your beans. DAVE IN WV.......

3. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Yep, thats probably flea beetles and they are tough to deal with if you don't use poison. I've tried getting some turnips going all spring with no luck because of the little rascals, they also love cabbage and eggplant. You might try making a strong garlic spray, I haven't tried it yet but I read somewhere that they don't like garlic.

Tom

4. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

If you have wood ashes you can sprinkle them over the top of the beans early in the morning while the leaves are still wet so the ashes stick to the leaves. You don't need to pile the ashes on.....just sprinkle them so that the leaves are pretty much covered but not weighted down. If that doesn't work, you can also try Dawn dishwashing soap diluted with water (a very MILD mixture) and spray the plants with the solution in the morning and afternoon. Good luck!
    Heather

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I've had flea beetles this year on several of my plants. I put DE (diatomaceous earth, food grade) on them and the ground under them and it worked almost instantly it seems. They are now growing in healthy leaves. DE is natural and does not kill chemically, but physically. The only bad thing about it is that it can kill pretty much any bug but an earthworm, thus your beneficials. Once it rains, it is gone, so you have to reapply. That is also good though, because you can put it on before bloom, then wash it away so it won't kill your pollinating bugs.