what is Diazinol?Dyazinol

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Caelma, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

For the ant situation someone mentioned
    putting out (may not be speeling it right)
    Diazinol? Dyazinol?
    Putting it under the mbile homes black liner?
    (For the ones coming in the house (Big blk ones)
    What is it? Is it toxic?
    Can it hurt other critters?
    She said it smells for a day and the smell
    may come up through the floor.
    Would appreciate more info on it.
    Thank you

2. HUBERT

HUBERT Well-Known Member

EPA sharply restricts consumer use of diazinon, nation's #2 selling home and garden insecticide

Diazinon called unsafe for home use but will remain on store shelves for at least another three years
    Washington— Citing excessive risk to children, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today moved to sharply restrict consumer use of diazinon, the nation's #2 selling home and garden insecticide. EPA scientists found the product exceeded safety standards by a wide margin. The action follows on the heels of the EPA's June 8 announcement banning Dursban, the nation's #1 selling home bug killer. Like the Dursban decision, however, the EPA's agreement with diazinon's manufacturer, Syngenta (formerly Novartis), will allow the toxic chemical to remain on store shelves until current stocks are exhausted.

"This is probably the best that EPA could do for consumers in the face of pressure from a pesticide industry that’s exposed people to unsafe products for decades," said Richard Wiles, Environmental Working Group (EWG) Vice President for Research. "With this action, EPA will remove from home use the last member of a notorious family of insecticides that should have been banned long, long ago. Retailers should pull products containing diazanon off store shelves immediately."

Formulations of diazinon are sold under the names Spectracide, Real-Kill, Hot Shots, Ortho, and No Pest, among others, and its most common use is outdoor application by homeowners. EWG today wrote major retailers, such as Home Depot, asking them to immediately stop selling diazinon products in the wake of the EPA's decision.

The EPA action on diazinon comes as a result of the 1996 Food Quality Protection Act (FQPA), which started the process of reassessing pesticides in order to protect children. Children are especially vulnerable to pesticides because of their size, their developing brains and nervous systems, and because they consume foods likely to contain pesticides. EPA’s risk assessment for diazinon from this June showed risk levels for toddlers from home uses up to 10,000 times what the agency considers a safe dose.

Both diazinon and Dursban are organophosphates, nerve gas derivatives originally developed during World War II. These chemicals were identified as top priorities for regulation by the EPA after the FQPA passed, due to the high risk that they present to the developing brains and nervous systems of infants and children.

3. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

THANK YOU sooo much for posting that.
    I think I'll keep the ants.

As to the big hill out back, I think I'll try the gasoline.
    No chemical here if I can avoid it.
    I was worried when she said it can smell and
    sometimes the smell for a day can conme through the
    floor.
    I always live by these rules
    If you can smell it, it is able to be in your lungs
    If you can feel it, it can be absorbed into your skin
    If you can taste it, it can be inside your blood stream
    Thank you, after reading that,
    those ants aren't looking so bad anymore.

4. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Please don't use the gasoline. I work for the Ag department in Oregon. That is a big No No. I would recomend using Sevin either in the powder or the liquid form. Liquid I would say will work the best, Just follow the directions, and everything should work out fine. But please don't use gas.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I better stock up now!

6. poppy

poppy Guest

Amen Cabin. Diazinon has been used for years inside and outside homes. It is very safe. The biggest problem with it is that it is cheap. Once it is removed from the market, whatever they replace it with will be much higher. Look at Chlordane and related chemicals. The best termite chemical ever made, it lasted about 20 or 25 years. The enviros got all over it and they took it off the market. Supposed to cause cancer. Well, after it is off the market, studies show that people who worked in the plants making it had a lower incidence of cancer than the general population. What is available now is nearly 3 times the price of Chlordane.

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Diazinon smells nasty...I dont trust it, either.

There is an organic, well, semi organic way to get rid of ants in an anthill, it involves Borax, and I cant remember what you do with it.

Anyone remember that trick with the borax to get rid of ants?

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Tempo SC is a decent insecticide that does not require a pesticide license.

9. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Must agree with you and Cabin, Diaqinon and Chlordane. What did they replace it with for the home owner was nothing. Now we have to have a pest control company out to take care of Carpenter ants and Termits, big bucks for pest control companies. I'm looking into getting my pest control license, just so I can use these products on my farm.

10. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

What the pesticide application companies are able to put down is not nearly as effecitve as Chlordane (for termite control) and Diazanon. As a result you they need to make treatments much more frequently.

11. BaronsMom

BaronsMom Well-Known Member

First and most important - find out what type of ants you have. That determines the type of treatment. What works for some species, may not work for others - especially true with carpenter ants.

And just because the label of an insecticide product says it works for ants doesn't mean it is the best choice. A lot of things will kill pests - even hot, soapy water - but it doesn't always solve the problem.

Contact your local County Extension office for help.

12. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I have 2 different kinds.
    The nest outside that is shin plus high and wide
    are the red and black med ones.
    The ones getting in the house (4 to 6 a day or more) are
    the solid big black ants.
    I'm not a chemical person.
    I'll call the extention office tomorrow morning.
    Airotciv why not the gasoline?
    I was thinking a cup, not a gallon :rolleyes:
    But would like to know why since it will burn up quick.
    No chemicals left behind.

13. poppy

poppy Guest

airotciv , i don't know what state you are in, but around here there are termiticides available to the public. They are pretty expensive tho. The newer chemicals are very expensive. Most are labeled to apply to the soil at the rate of 4 gal per 10 linear feet of foundation inside and outside foundation plus 2 gal per 10 linear feet to the voids in blocks. It figures out to a gallon per foot, but that is per foot of depth of foundation. A 2 foot deep foundation would be double that. A 30x60 house would require 360 gallons for the foundation plus treating around pillars, the dirt under the house and any filled porches. At 1.50 a gallon, it adds up quick.

14. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Those big black carpenter ants are a symptom of a much larger problem. You need to look around for a water leak which is causing rot in wood. Remove that problem and you remove the ants. We had them in the Kirkland, WA house, and uncovered a leak under the shower--didn't show. Those ants exist to eat rotten wood, of which there is plenty in WWA.