Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. Had someone offer me a senior rabbit. It is in good shape but didn't know how many more years of having litters were left. Thanks

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
Just curious. Had someone offer me a senior rabbit. It is in good shape but didn't know how many more years of having litters were left. Thanks
Although some breeds go by weight rather than age, a rabbit is generally considered a senior at 6 months of age.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I bred a medium size mutt doe until she was 5 1/2 years old. Her litter got smaller as she got older and she got extra time as her condition called for. She would give me 18- 24 kits a year on avg.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Well, if going by the ARBA show rules, it depends on the breed of rabbit. For example, small breeds up to and including Rex rabbits are seniors at 6 months of age. Larger breeds, like New Zealands, Californians, and including the giant breeds, are "intermediate" (or 6/8) at 6 to 8 months, and "seniors" at 9 months of age.

Pat Lamar

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I have to ask... was the person offering the rabbit conversant with rabbit breeding and showing terms? Because if not, among the general populace, "senior rabbit" could mean "senior citizen rabbit."

·
Budding homesteader
893 Posts
I have to ask... was the person offering the rabbit conversant with rabbit breeding and showing terms? Because if not, among the general populace, "senior rabbit" could mean "senior citizen rabbit."
I was wondering whether that's what the OP thought it meant.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I agree, if I saw someone on the pets section of craigslist giving away a "senior rabbit" I would bet it was a few years old. If someone was selling senior rabbits in the farm section of craigslist, I would assume they were older than 6-9 months. It would definitely depend on the speaker.

Kayleigh

·
Pacific Northwest
219 Posts
Well, if going by the ARBA show rules, it depends on the breed of rabbit... Larger breeds, like New Zealands, Californians, and including the giant breeds, are "intermediate" (or 6/8) at 6 to 8 months, and "seniors" at 9 months of age.

Pat Lamar
Make that 8+ months for "senior" in the large to giant breeds. ;)

·
FourCountryGals.com
149 Posts
If the rabbit was healthy and free, take it. I once received a "senior" rabbit that I would breed at the same time as I bred my junior does.

When a junior screwed up with her litter, the senior was usually willing to take the foster bunnies. She rarely had more than 3 or 4 of her own, but plenty of milk to go around.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
A senior rabbit forgets where he left his car keys. He drives with the blinker on for miles and miles at about 35 miles per hour in town or on the highway. He wears his pants really high up on his waist. He wants to eat at 3 p.m. He goes to bed at 7 p.m. He takes FOREVER to pee. He reads with a magnifying glass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts