What is CL / Johns?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caelma, May 3, 2006.

1. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

Use to have goats and kids were in 4H
    Decided to get some, missed having them.
    It's been 15 yrs and I imagine new things (illnesses and immunizations have come about in 15 yrs.)
    What is CL?
    What is Johns?

I use to immunize with tetanus. BO SE and I think ? C&D.
    I'm familiar with CAE.
    What would be a good yearly testing and immunizations program to have my new herd on?
    How often are folks usually worming?

2. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

Johnes is an incurable infection of the intestine that causes it to thicken. There is nothing you can do for Johnes except cull the animal. :(

CL (caseous lymphadenitis) is a bacterial infection. The infection enters the animal through a cut or other open spot in the skin (or by eating something that another infected goat has contaminated). The disease causes large lumps/abscesses in the lymph nodes (internal and external). It can't be cured, though some farms are vaccinating for it. It's not usually fatal, but it can cause chronic drain on the animal, or if an animal gets it inside it can interfere with digestion. Abscesses in the udder can cause problems for milking or nursing. The best way to prevent the disease is to do everything in your power not to buy a goat with CL, or one that comes from a farm that has CL. It's said that CL can live in the soil for decades.

Most people vaccinate yearly for CD&T.

Worming is done as-needed, rather than preventively (like you worm horses). Most folks have fecals done by the vet to determine what type of wormer is necessary.

I'm new to this also, and I refer to a lot of websites for information. Links are below:

http://www.jackmauldin.com
    http://fiascofarm.com/goats/
    http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/

Oh, and hang out here. You'll learn a lot. : )

T

3. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

Both Johnes and CL are diagnosed by a blood test. However, an animal can be a silent carrier of Johnes...they will test negative and actually be harboring the disease. It is caused by mycobacterium paratuberculosis and is incurable. The good news is....if they don't test positive, they are probably not shedding or spreading the disease. Most of the time, the infection doesn't become clinical (obvious to the naked eye) until the animal is 4-5 years old. The only symptom you will see is chronic weight loss in goats.

I have done a ton of research on Johnes because my favorite doe tested positive last year. She was 2 years old. I got a batch of kids from her and just sold her. The downside is that the disease can pass to the kids before they are born. This is not common but possible.

My recommendations would be to blood test yearly. Cull as soon as you get a positive because then they are spreading the disease. Until then, don't worry about it.