What is Bo-Se?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by April Rain, May 8, 2006.

1. April Rain

April Rain Well-Known Member

What is Bose and where do I buy it?

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

bo-se is a selenium supplement as some areas are deficient and it is needed by goats. check out fiascofarms website and itl has a map of arreas that need supplemented.

3. April Rain

April Rain Well-Known Member

I buy cattle minerals which are high in selenium and copper. Do I still need Bo-Se?
    April

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

If you are in a selenium deficient area, I would still give Bo-Se. You need to get it from the vet.

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

The folks that I brought my does to last month for breeding are very aggressive on Bo-se. They give 3 ccs when putting does into breed, give another 3 ccs 2 months before kidding then 1/4 cc per baby and one more time that I can't remember. They said it has made a big improvement in herd health and reproduction. We are in California and things here are pretty deficient.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I give my nubians 5cc's every 45 days, and the babies get a cc, at birth. that is what my vet said to do. and she has had a herd for 25 years, so she is good with goats.

7. CritterLover

CritterLover Critterlover

Does anybody give BoSe orally? I found this at Jeffers and wondered if anyone here had used it...

Provides all natural vitamin E and selenium selenite at levels appropriate for goats. Real GetlTM base melts at body temperature so when administered won't roll off the tongue. Butterscotch flavor. Use as sole source of selenium. 80 ml dial-a-dose tube contains (16) 5 ml doses.

Here is the manf info:

Selenium and Vitamin E Gel for Goats
    All Natural
    Guaranteed Analysis: (per 5 ml)
    Natural Vitamin E min ............... 500 IU
    Selenium max ............................ 2.5 ppm

Directions for Use: Give orally on back of tongue. Convenient dial a dose tube. THis product is to be used as the sole source of selenium. Excessive amounts of selenium may be toxic.
    Ingredients: Natural Organic Selenium from Selenium Yeast, Natural Vitamin E Supplement, FD&C Yellow No.5, Vegetable Oil, Emulsifiers and Inert Ingredients.

Dosage:
    Goat ................................... 5 ml.

Use Caution in regards in windpipe.

KEEP OUT OF READ OF CHILDREN.

FOR LIVESTOCK USE ONLY.

Not For Human Use.

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Feed producers are regulated in how much selenium is allowed in feedstuffs due to the varying amounts of selenium available in parts of the country. If you are in a selenium deficient area, your feed stuffs generally will not have enough to combat it because if it did it would be too much for areas without deficiency.
    It depends on what you feed though.
    Selenium is one of the focuses when we feed our dairy cattle. We don't do shots with them but I have been doing shots with the goats because they receive a different feed.

9. simplyflow

simplyflow Well-Known Member

10. CritterLover

CritterLover Critterlover

And I must be an idiot because I've looked and looked and can't find the selenium deficient map on Fiasco's site...

11. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature why hide it?