What is arnica?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Jan 17, 2007.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its been mentioned twice in my earlier thread about takeing a fall.

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Hi! I missed the threads about the fall, but arnica can be used to treat bruises and sprains. It is normally used in a compress or ointment for those particular applications. It shouldn't be taken internally.

3. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. After going back I realized I didn't answer the original question. It's an alpine plant, botanical name Arnica montana. Sometimes a variety called Arnica fulgens is also used. Hope this helps!

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I think it has something to do with the book, "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."

5. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

You can take it homeopathically. When my kids get bumped and bruised (hey, they're kids!) I give them a dose. I have been amazed at the reduction of bruising since we started using it. It also helps with falls or accidents to reduce pain. You can get it at natural/health food stores.

6. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Arnica is a plant, a herb. (Arnica montana, A mollis). Herbaceous perennial, also known as Mountain Tobacco, Mountain Arnica, Leopard's Bane and Sneezewort. Grows close to the ground. The hairy-looking, oval leaves form a flat rosette, from the centre of which rises a flower stalk, 30-60cm high, bearing orange-yellow flowers. The rhizome is dark brown, cylindrical, usually curved, and bears brittle wiry rootlets on the under surface. Flowers appear in mid-summer.

Not recommended for internal use, although it is used in homoeopathy for a range of conditions. Used internally, it is a heart tonic, improves circulation, reduces cholesterol and stimulates the central nervous system. Flowers are used in oil infusions, compresses and ointments to treat bruises, shingles, sprains and muscular pain, dislocations, abscesses, boils, ulcers, bursitis, chilblains, varicose ulcers, dislocations, swollen feet. Applied as a cream or ointment to affected areas or a well diluted tincture is used as a hair rinse to treat falling hair. Soak a cloth in the tea and use it as a compress to relieve headaches and visual disturbances following concussion.

Mostly the flowers are used, but the root is also used.

Warning: Do not use on broken skin. Can cause intestinal bleeding, abdominal cramping, increased blood pressure and even death when taken internally. Can cause contact dermatitis when used externally, especially by fair-haired persons. Avoid when pregnant.

Some pix here:

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=arnica+montana&btnG=Search+Images

7. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Okay, here's my arnica question; what percentage rate can it be used at, or can you use it straight on your skin? I bought some oil a year or two ago and never used it because no one seemed to know the answer, and I'd love to make a cream or ointment with it.

8. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I think most of the oil that is sold is safe to use on your skin. I've never seen it sold as an essential oil.

9. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

Moopups, All the health food stores in my town sell Arnica cream for bruises and skin problems. Most of it is from Germany, where it is still routinely used for all manner of skin problems. Works, too! ANY health food store will have it! ldc

10. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Harvesting: Collect flowers when fully opened and use fresh or dried. Root is taken in autumn after the leaves have died down. The entire plant can be dried and then powdered; it can then be mixed with equal portions of petroleum jelly or mineral oil for external use.

11. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

You can take Arnica internally as a tincture. In fact, there are several studies that show it can aid in regulating blood sugar in diabetics. You just have to be careful and not go crazy with it because it is toxic to some people; but just about anyone can take Arnica tincture by the drops.

I make Anrica tincture and my husband has been using it for his diabetes. He does 3 drops 3 times a day in a tad of water. No dramatic results yet, but it does take several weeks to kick in.