What is a MsMansion?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ET1 SS, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

So this term appears to have two separate meanings.

1:The oldest is identical 'cookie-cutter' houses with no individualism.

2:the second meaning is so different from it's surrounding houses as to be totally out-of-place.

I have thought about what kind of house I have wanted to build, and I have been drawing it for about 15 years. Our ideas have changed and grown many times over the years, to finally come to the design that we have today.

We have worked and saved money for this house, we have been frugal and invested. We have finally gotten to the place where we can build the house that we have designed. We are building this house out in the middle of a forest with no other homes in view, totally isolated from any other homes or 'neighborhoods'.

I have recently been told that what I am building is a 'McMansion'.

Am I?

What is your opinion?

2. Brighid1971

Brighid1971 Well-Known Member

I tend to think the term 'McMansion' started here in good ol' New Jersey :rolleyes: From what you describe, it doesn't sound like a McMansion at all. That term is reserved for homes that are ridiculously large and opulent--kind of a "keeping up with the Joneses" status symbol. I guess all those idiots who are building these beasts want their own Biltmore Estate*...

:goodjob: Keep up the good work on your little slice of earth!

*Biltmore Estate is the largest home in the United States...

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

McMansions have just been outlawed in Austin. They are the overgrown, over designed houses that totally don't fit in an existing neighborhood. Like a castle in a neighborhood of 1950's homes. Sigh. I've seen that. It's disgusting.

4. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Just tell them it's your dream house and to hell with what they think. I figure you put in the years of sweat and dreams to make it happen, wouldn't bother me if you were next to me in a tent as long as you were a decent neighbor. Mcmansion?? Hell I'd build a matching garden house and tell them you decided to give 'em fries with it.

5. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I use the term because our original neighborhood was older homes, mobile homes, ranch houses then they come along and build something big and opulant. Big houses with fancy this and that, inground pools and landscaped lawns. Just didn't fit in with how our neighborhood used to be. Then they started wanting the rest of us to change into what they are instead of being ourselves. When we mentioned that we were thinking of redoing our house or rebuilding they tried to convince us to put up a house just like theirs. Uh, no thanks. We heard that our town is one of "the places" to build right now. Wonderful.

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

After having looked at your plans and photos, I can see no connection between your plans and what I would term a "McMansion." I think you would have to go up a few layers, and expand out to qualify. Maybe those calling your house a McMansion are living in shacks or trailers.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Houses that are excessively large on a small piece of property complete with a mortgage that if one paycheck is missed said "owner" defaults....too much house, too little land, too little money.....

Yes, I'm sure, ET1 SS, your house looks like a McMansion(at 2400sq.feet?) in the area you are building...no offense meant...but what folks don't get is that you CAN afford it and you have enough acreage so that you are not able to see the neighbors....and your intentions are to be somewhat self sustaining....unlike most McMansion owners that rush off to the city to work and stop and grab McDonalds to feed the family dinner....And even if they know you can afford it, most folks have a hard time controlling the green-eyed monster called ENVY....

My advice(free BTW) is to do what you want....be humble when speaking with neighbors...and share your bounty.....time, knowledge, skills, what you grow...
    Mainers tend to be very set in their ways but if you are patient and not preachy, we tend to see the practical side of something/someone new or well-done :)

8. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

I can't see how 2400 sq ft is that large. We will have 2200 sq ft when we are done, and it does not seem that large, and I am one that dislike the Mcmansions going up around here. Most are over 3000 sq ft, and with fancy roofs and so on that are a waste. I kind of like ET1 SS's house, and would even consider a similar style if I was to start from scratch.

9. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

McMansions are homes for McIdiots

10. nogreaterjoy8

nogreaterjoy8 Well-Known Member

I would say no.......a McMansion out here is a house for the wanna-be-rich........5 bedrooms for a couple with no kids, that kind of thing. Maybe in the cities it is something different, but here it seems to mean wasting space and money for something just to make you look wealthier than you are

11. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

nah, McMansion is an outdated descriptive word. Everything big and new around here is now built according to a theme - subdivisions built around a golf club or a private airport, etc. - hobby parks better describes what I see happening.

12. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

In Maine or anywhere you can tell if you have a McMansion when you pay your McTaxes.

The area I live in is near about a slum... lots of old ( and I mean old) single wide house trailers... you know the ones with the flat roof that had a pitched roof built over it and junk and trash in the yard. Too cheap for trash pick up so they have it piled in black plastic bags in the yard. I'm about 1/4 mile from this neighborhood but just beyond is Great Moose Pond where there are 300 and 400 thousand dollar summer homes.

13. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

The McMansions in the suburbs of Baltimore are all over 3000 sq. ft, with a patch of chemically green lawn in front, with greek columns and two-story outside decks with screened-in gazebo, all built off of the same basic floor plan and they all look exactly the same as their neighbors. They're usually on newly developed streets in a subdivision that's named after the landscape they destoryed to build the houses, like Brookside Acres or Maple Grove. They usually have a small family, 2 parents and a kid or two living in this house that has three levels, four bathrooms, six bedrooms, a "Great Room" w/ cathedral ceiling and floor-to ceiling windows, a formal dining room and "parlor room", a small library, finished basement that also has two bedrooms and a bath (for guests), a small room for a home gym, and a large room for your pool table and 5ft wide screen TV, and don't forget the wet bar in the corner. The house I just described to you is one I used to work in, as a nanny. Let me tell you, playing hide and seek on three floors is a female dog!

I think that they are a waste of money and resources. All they are is a status symbol. I know I'm not considered normal down here in MD, but you'd have to pay me a LOT of money to live in one of those things. Absolutely wretched places. As for your house - it's not a McMansion, not even close!

14. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

McMansion is a relative term for Maine...Maine McMansions do not resemble the McMansions of Virginia ( which I find disgusting display of wannabee wealth the Caswell place in Norridgewock comes to mind) but if you were to compare them to "typical" Maine homes....The heat bill alone for2400sq ft would astonish most of you if you lived on "Maine" wages :eek: Let alone taxes...but this guy is building in unorganized TWP his taxes will be about $1000 a year after the house is built.....and if he heats with "typical" oil baseboard system he will spend around $1800 a year minimum....A local job might pay $7 a hour and not be full-time.....

In McMansion developments...they have laws against trailers and modular housing....this is just the reverse....the locals are afraid of the "wealth is power" thing....

Btw ...my house was one of the first single wide modular homes built in 1977. It had a pitched roof....We've added onto both sides and it looks like a ranch now and I have trash on my lawn that my dog got into from the neighbors leaving it out :eek: We also have a fridge and two sofas waiting to go to the dump when they have the free day...I'm not paying $15 to the dump after paying property taxes...Our house is not a palace but its paid for... :monkey: And the lawn is big enough to hit golf balls on and complete with a water hazard LOL
    Personally I wouldnt care if someone bought land next to me built a house or put in a trailer...once you buy the land you should be able to do with it what you want for living purposes....business purposes such as junkyards etc should have guidelines

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

DS--where ya been?

16. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

That's how I think of them, too. Big ole house on a tiny little plot, right up against the neighbors.

17. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

My McWhitetrashBedAndBreakfast burned down along with both my McComputers

18. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Arg! Sorry to hear that! We'd wondered where you were. Glad you didn't go up in smoke, and hope you have good insurance.

19. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that an important part of the "McMansion" definition includes poor quality. The house is all square footage and facade, with only average or below average quality of materials. No attention to quality details but all ostentatious "bigger is better" styling. The typical quality of construction and materials means the house will be needing major maintenance and repairs in a few years.

20. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

If this is your dream home that you have planned for many, many years then what do you care what people call it. I say kudos to you for realizing your dream and with all the thought and planning that has gone into it I am sure it will be a happy home and congratulations.