What is a good price?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JR05, Jun 15, 2006.

1. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

A neighbor is offering me thier older jersey milk cow under $1000. She is currently in milk and seems to be in good health. For a cow that is at least 6-9 years old would this be a good investment or should I pass? How old until she would stop having calves and milking?

jr05

2. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Depends on where you are and how well she is trained. Sounds fair if she is bred back, and already trained to handmilk.

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

4. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

We live in Missouri so the weather is a combination of all kinds. She would be in a full size barn with fans going all summer and heated in the winter. I didn't ask bout breeding but I know they have the vet IA all the cows. He did say she was currently milking about 70# a day.She would be the only milk cow here and we only have 3 other cows on the farm so she would not have anything to be stressed about. We also have goats and so do they so that would be the same for her. He said she was a calm cow but couldn't use the milker on her, something about her udder being too wide??? I have only had one milk cow and she was a dream until she got so sick at age 6 that we had to put her down.

jr05

5. Up North

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Assuming she's bred and everything if fine. Have you milked cows by hand before? 70 lbs of milk would be over 4 gallon twice a day. That's a heap of squeezing. If she has short teats it makes it all the harder. If she milks hard it gets to be miserable getting her milked out.
    A couple calves could suck the milk out quickly. It can be hard to put baby calves on a cow that has been fresh for some time without having them get very serious scours. 70 lbs of milk could raise 4 calves.
    You should milk this cow by hand a few times before you decide on whether you want her or not.

7. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I have some of the best neighbors in the world! Another one of my neighbors was using 2 holsteins to raise calves this summer and they are finished and want to go on vacation. Soooo, they are letting me have the 2 holsteins to milk and care for until next year when they will be getting more calves to raise. They will also take care of getting the girls bred so that I don't have to worry about that. They just want some milk occationally for their use. I don't have a problem with feeding them through the winter as they will be paying for their keep by giving me milk. They calved in April of this year so they will milk for quite a while. We also talked about having them bring the calves here instead of taking the girls home so I would still have milk next year!! God Bless good freinds and neighbors!! Pasted on the jersey so can use the $$ to stock up on feed for these girls.

jr05

8. Up North

JR05- Your mention of neighbors recalls story of a grizzled old Pioneer who had a general store at the starting point of The Oregon Trail.
    One family heading West asked him "Well, How are the Neighbors out west?"
    He replied "How were they where you came from?"
    The father of the family moaned and whined about what lazy, no-good, unhelpful neighbors they had. The Old Pioneer responded "Well, I think you will find they are the same out West"
    The next family asked the very same question, "How are the neighbors out West?" And again the Pioneer responded " How were they were you came from?"
    This family went on about what good, helpful, and considerate neighbors they were blessed with!!
    With a WINK the Old Pioneer responded "Well, I think you will find they are the same out West!"

PS ENJOY YOUR NEWFOUND MILK!!!