What is a good price for apples?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Lada, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Lada

Lada Well-Known Member

It's apple season and usually we pick at my parents' orchard, but this year their apples did nothing. I HAVE to have some apples...it's October, you know?!? ;)

I am thinking of going to a local orchard and trying to buy some, but I don't want to get there and not be able to tell if it's a good deal or not. My daughter is selling fruit for 4H and I can get apples for $1/pound, so it will have to be cheaper than that. I think they also sell "cider apples" and I'm wondering if those would be o.k. to use for apple sauce and apple butter?

2. KyMama

KyMama Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what a good price would be, but make sure you ask about their "seconds". These are the apples that are not pretty enough or maybe lightly bruised. These apples are usually a lot cheaper.

HTH

3. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I don't remember where you are exactly Lada, somewhere near me, I think...

Eastgate Meijers has Michigan apples for .49 cents a pound. They had macintosh, jonathan, jonagold, red rome, gala, empire, cortland, and red delicious to choose from and you could mix and match.

4. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

I paid .49 cents/lb for a bushel the other day at the fruit stand. Nice big perfect Jonagolds. Picked ripe, so juicy...James

5. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

I get 1/2 a bushel of #2 for $10 from the local orchard. A half bushel is about 22 pounds (according to my scale). Best store price I can find this year is $.79 a pound, so I keep running down to the orchard, which is about 10 min away (better for the economy that way, too).

6. Lada

Lada Well-Known Member

Pike County - prob 1.5 hours or so from Eastgate. :( The best store price I can find is OVER $1/pound!

I did call the local orchard and they have seconds for $15/bushel, so .37/pound I'm figuring? I'm going to get one bushel and see what they mean by 'seconds', but I'm hoping they're good enough for sauce and butter.

7. scooter

scooter Well-Known Member

We went for our annual fall drive along the Mississippi on Friday and we start in LaCrescent MN, at a market there I purchased 10# bags of McIntosh for 3.00 a bag. Honeycrisp were 6.00 for a 5# bag.

8. mommathea

mommathea Well-Known Member

Yea, I bought my apples for .49lb also. Granny smith, gala, golden delicious, and Johnathan.

9. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

That's a good price. I buy seconds for caning, drying and eating. Usually there will be one or two per half bushel that go straight to the compost bin. But they are usually at the bottom and the bag has been sitting in my kitchen for over a week. I try not to buy more then I can process with in a weeks time.....I'd rather go 3 times to buy apples then have life get in the way and end up with them rotting in my kitchen.

10. zookeeper16

zookeeper16 Karaoke Queen

A good price? FREE! Thankfully mine are!

11. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep....that's the best kind. We have bought some Macs too but our free ones are from an unsprayed "old orchard"....very little extra "protein" in them too.;) Thinking they might be Duchess apples.

12. blynn

blynn Well-Known Member

I got well over 20 lbs for roughly 60 cents a pound. My scale didn't go past 20, lol! So I don't know the exact price per pound, it was a large bag of seconds.

13. Lada

Lada Well-Known Member

I know! I have not had to buy apples in years! Other than the occasional bag between seasons, when last year's are gone and this years aren't ripe yet. This is all new to me!

14. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Ask your local pick-your-own orchard what they charge for wind drops. Last year I paid $2 per 6 gallon bucket (I brought my own buckets). I use them for making cider. Haven't gone this year because I have been so busy....sigh.

Mike

15. KIT.S

KIT.S Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, around here there are abandoned apple trees everywhere, and people all over in the towns that would be thrilled to have someone come clean out their apple tree and yard. They don't just grow like that all over the lower 48? Sigh, I need to travel more and see the rest of the US. Fortunately, I, too, get them free. We'll pick at least 500 pounds next week and make lots of juice to can.
    Kit

16. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

Apples are expensive around here! I see your prices and I can't believe it...you can't find even the cheap apples for less then 99 cents. And the u-pick place, its 2 something a lb.! Thankfully, my tree started producing last year and it was a pretty good sized harvest this year so I don't have to buy any.

17. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

We have 32 apple trees in our orchard, but they are all young. We got 12 apples this year. Hopefully next year will be better.
    Now our pear trees were very generous this year!

18. DamnearaFarm

DamnearaFarm aka RamblinRoseRanc :) Supporter

That's a good price, Lada. Around here I drive about 20-30 minutes to an orchard and buy apples for 10-18 dollars a bushel, depending on the apple type.

19. oregon woodsmok

oregon woodsmok Well-Known Member Supporter

The best sale price seems to be about 90 cents a pound this year.

I've got a lot of apple trees and have had a pretty serious crop failure this year and apples aren't ripening like they should, so I'm going to lose most of them to freezing. Plus the birds are a plague this year, damaging apples that are still rock hard and weeks, even months, from being ripe.

Maybe I'm not the only one with a really poor crop this year, because prices seem awfully high. The convenience store that has always sold apples for 39 cents a pound is 89 cents this year. (They bring in full bins. I suspect that they have family with an apple farm. Best apples, best price available.)

20. Freya

Freya Can't find bacon seeds Supporter

Here at the nearest NON organic large "You Pick" orchard the current prices right now are:

$1.09lb "You Pick"

$1.19lb Already Picked

$29.99/40lb. box Already Picked

Ofcourse it's an hours drive away and not even organic, so most just go down to the grocery store. This week they have conventional apples on sale for $0.77lb. Normally it's about $1.50-$2.50 a pound.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011