What is a good farm dog?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by farmwife, Dec 14, 2006.

1. farmwife

farmwife Well-Known Member

We just had a puppy killed by a car that was given to us. I don't know how soon we would get another one.

However, we want a dog that will be a watch dog, good with our children, and won't kill our layers that have free range of the place.

Any advice on dog breeds would be great!
    Thanks!

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I like Coonhounds. I got mine from a shelter and hes a great alarm system/ chicken watcher

[​IMG]

3. no1cowboy

no1cowboy Single male homesteader

for me I had the best luck with sheppards, they left the stock alone and got along with the barn cats, kept the foxs and alike away and I never had a problem with them around my daughter.

4. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

5. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a shephard, and the only thing I had to break him of was chasing the chickens (they make such a fun noise when he chases them!). He has never harmed them, just likes to make them run and squawk. He is very protective of 'his' chickens and gets confused/upset when we butcher. He is a good alarm when an animal, person, or vehicle that he doesn't know comes on the property.

my other dog, who doesn't have the same 'fear factor' with humans that the shephard does (he's too darn cute to be scary) is a Jack Russell. He does everything the big dog does, except he can fit down holes to get the woodchucks and raccoons!

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Old fashioned, rough-haired farm collie....can't say enough good about them. Had them for years, great with children, love animals of all sorts, good for keeping wildlife out of the yard and garden......excellent, excellent dogs.

7. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Another farm collie fan, english shepherds. They can be a little stubborn, but they are loving and devoted.

8. WhiteChristmas

WhiteChristmas Super Mom and College Kid

All I can say Mutts. best with training and love. just like alot of Americans. LOL what can I say.

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Any dog can be a good farm dog. I have a lab, a golden, a jack russell, and a border collie aussie mix. They bark at strangers, shut up when I tell them to, don't kill chickens, don't chase livestock, but they all know how to help herd. It's how you raise them. If I had to choose an all around breed though, I'd say border collie.

10. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Good farm dogs are not born, they are TRAINED! Come over to the pet board, we've hashed and rehashed the "best" breed(s) for farm life.

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Lassie type collie, Bouvier des Flanders, Rin Tin Tin type German Sheperd, any new dog or puppy you get will need training to leave the chickens alone and stay out of the road.

12. Highland

Highland Well-Known Member

The best dog that I have ever had is a mutt.He showed up here about 10 years ago.He is still "on the job" even thoo he is down to one eye and is nearly deaf.

13. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

english shepherd. Beware, they are independent thinkers who often think they know more than you and act accordingly. Usually they are right.

14. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Unless their names are Hank and there are geese, squirrels, or field mice involved. Then you have to wonder. :D

15. terri46355

terri46355 Well-Known Member

I would recommend any Lab cross. I've had 2. They are loyal watchdogs, learn quickly and love their human family.

16. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I think that training is more important than breed. Any dog can be a good dog. cept maybe those little tiny ones that cats can beat up. :)

17. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

So tell me how to get my border collie to be a good farm citizen and not chase the other animals relentlessly. We've had her since she was a puppy (she's about 18mos old now) and have her around the other animals all the time. Unfortunately, she's not reliable off leash. As soon as she knows she's loose, she chases the sheep, catches the chickens and pulls out their tail feathers. Then she takes off down the road to go swimming in our neighbors stock tank. She can duck under gates and fencelines at a run and even though she comes when called in a contained area, and won't leave us alone when she in the house with us, she ignores our calls to come home. We then have to go pick her up with the car, which she runs to when she sees us coming! We've had other dogs over the years that we never had these problems with. Suggestions??

18. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

i just love their instincts. Amazing what they just do naturally. Ours learns quickly by watching what we are trying to do. you can see the light bulb go on.

Of course, for some reason she HATES the guinea fowl.

19. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I say no dog until you fix the situation where a dog might get killed by another car.

20. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

I love my golden retrievers. Since they are bird dogs they will chase chickens till trained. The chickens now roost on their pen since they know the dogs will protect them.