Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was telling a friend yesterday that I had to get home and take care of some things on the farm; he told me I didn't have a farm. That got me wondering, what qualifies as a farm?

I own two acres, have several outbuildings, I have 50 chickens, 10 geese about 40 ducks and 12 rabbits, 3 turkeys and two peafowl. I compost and use it on the vegetable garden. I believe my friend thinks a farm is supposed to be several acres, a huge barn, cows, horses and pigs.

What is a farm?

·
Super Moderator
16,475 Posts
For the defination of a farm, are we talking about the zoning defination, the tax defination, or what?

For zoning purposes, they may insist on 10 acres. For tax purposes, sales of $1500 OR an attempt to make a profit, I THINK!

Definitions vary. And, people split hairs about what is or is not a farm. As far as the Tax man is concerned, if you are making money off of it you ARE a farm and they want their full share!

With so much poultry I think you are selling eggs, chicks, or meat. That makes it a farm in my eyes. If you were consuming what you produce-as I do- I would call it a homestead.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
USDA says:

Farm
Since 1850, when minimum criteria defining a farm for census purposes were first established, the farm definition has changed nine times as the Nation has grown. A farm is currently defined, for statistical purposes, as any place from which $1,000 or more of agricultural products (crops and livestock) were sold or normally would have been sold during the year under consideration. This definition has been in place since August 1975—by joint agreement among USDA, the Office of Management and Budget, and the Bureau of the Census.

See:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Briefing/FarmStructure/glossary.htm

But it's yours so call it what ever you like. I like "farmstead" and often use that. :)

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Seems defination of Farm and Ranch change all the time.For Tax purposes my place is a Farm because of size even though I don't have Livestock.

Could be a Homestead because we came in here cleard it out by hand,put up shelter,other buildings and Fence.

Seems some people have started calling their places Ranches around here.Anything from 20 acres up. :shrug:

To me I just say I'm headed home to take care of animals,garden whatever.I've got acreage.

There is nothing wrong with calling your place a Farm if thats what makes you happy.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I would call it a farm, as that's what you call it and you have to work it. My place is 5 acres on the back pasture and barn and two acres with the house and I call it a farm. I am taxed as a farm, I work like a farmer, I have livestock and crops, I sell to market and I own some overalls.... :p

I have had people say the same thing, and I tell them to come work it one day, and tell me it's not a farm. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TC said:
I tell them to come work it one day, and tell me it's not a farm. :)
I've told people the same thing.

The selectmen in town call it a farm, lots of visitors call it a farm, I call it a farm and my family calls it a farm.

I am zone agricultural/farming. My feeling is, I treat it like a farm, it may not be even close to the size of the farm I grew up on but I still have to get up and feed and water the animals before work, I still have to come home from work and feed and water the animals and clean before I do anything else and for the most part I work on the property and treat it like a farm.

I do call my place the little homstead more than I call it a farm.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
From American Heritage Dictionary

FARM:
n.

1.A tract of land cultivated for the purpose of agricultural production.

a. A tract of land devoted to the raising and breeding of domestic animals.
b. An area of water devoted to the raising, breeding, or production of a specific aquatic animal: a trout farm; an oyster farm.

3. An area of land devoted to the storage of a commodity or the emplacement of a group of devices: a tank farm; an antenna farm.

Looks like the definition (2. a ) by American Heritage Dictionary, you would be correct to refer to your place as a farm. :)

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
In Ontario any agricultural enterprise that generate $7000 gross income with some exceptions like horse boarding facilities, (I think horse breeders are "farm") and you must register with the OFA or CFF, which are non govt. run associations. You can request your membership fees back and be a non-voting member.

·
Premium Member
2,591 Posts
George in NH said:
I was telling a friend yesterday that I had to get home and take care of some things on the farm; he told me I didn't have a farm. That got me wondering, what qualifies as a farm?

I own two acres, have several outbuildings, I have 50 chickens, 10 geese about 40 ducks and 12 rabbits, 3 turkeys and two peafowl. I compost and use it on the vegetable garden. I believe my friend thinks a farm is supposed to be several acres, a huge barn, cows, horses and pigs.

What is a farm?
Sounds like a farm to me :shrug:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have a 1/2 acre with a house and 4 small outbuildings, including a greenhouse. It is in a small rural subdivision, about 3 miles from the city limits. I call it "Dottie's Farm".

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dutchie said:
Sounds like a farm to me :shrug:
If I were to walk on anyone's property that resembled mine I would call it a farm too. My grandparents had a smaller place than mine and I still called it a farm.

I guess my idea of a farm is any property that is involved in any agricultural persuit. I may not be making an income off my place (yet) but I am working towards that goal. I realize I will most likely never be able to quit my day job and live off the income from the farm and that's Ok with me, I make pretty good money at what I do and can enjpy this little place without worrying about how I am going to afford it. Even as a hobby it is worth the money and effort I put into it. I like coming home to feeding, watering and cleaning because this is what helps me relax.

·
Super Moderator
16,475 Posts
Half the commercial farmers in america have a day job. Either that or their wives work. Don't give THAT a moments thought!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
We call our 66 acres a homestead because we do not produce food or products for the general public.To my way of thinking a farm supports the family and sells to the public.A homestead takes care of the family only.JMHO.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Oh! I just thought of this.Many are bemoaning the demise of the small/family farm.It seems it is alive and well here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Like people trying to define the cowboy,

I believe its whats in your work, and in your heart, whether you have a half an acre or 10,000.

I have a farm, heck I have three if you think on it enough, I have right at five acres I live on raising and selling pigs, 4 acres five miles up the road to raise cows all pasture, and a almost two acre one in the next county I rent out.

heck I recon I am a rancher

you have a farm no worries, no man or woman can do what they do daily on their land and not call it their farm.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
Mike in Ohio said:
George,

Just tell your friend not to harsh your mellow. Then move on with life.

Mike

dude...that's totally righteous! no one should harshing another dude's mellow or wheezing his gig, man. now i am totally stoked to be hanging out on my righteous farm and chilling with the tomatos and berries and stuff, man. right on!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
MELOC said:
dude...that's totally righteous! no one should harshing another dude's mellow or wheezing his gig, man. now i am totally stoked to be hanging out on my righteous farm and chilling with the tomatos and berries and stuff, man. right on!
Word!

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
I would say you have a farm also,, to me any one who raises animals, some type of product, no matter how little or big the acres. I have friends who have christmas tree farm, vegetable farm, animal farm,, We have 8.5 acres we have rabbits,chicken,cows and pigs, we have a farm We went to the state and licensed our name as a farm Ledge Hill Farm, to me its a farm

1 - 20 of 46 Posts