What is a Citizen's Patrol?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ellebeaux, Aug 19, 2005.

1. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I just saw on Motivated's post that the 'Citizen's Patrol' solved the squatter problem. I've never heard of these before - are they like auxilaries to the sheriff's office? Self-organized?

Beaux

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

A group of citizens buy a vehicle,paint it up like a cop car and drive through the area acting as mobile lookouts and searching out criminal activity.Then they call the cops if they see something.A mobile neighborhood watch.

BooBoo

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a Citizen Corps that was created after 9/11 and is under command of the FEMA through Homeland security. Citizen Corps has serveral area, emergency responds with CERT, there is also a neighborhood security piece as well as a healthcare piece. Citizen Corps is a voluntary org.

4. ellebeaux

See, Mightybooboo, that sort of thing kinda scares me. I am all for the Second Amendment and all that but it really concerns me when people 'take the law into their own hands'. I just see too much potential for abuse. Especially, when they take a regular car and paint it to mimic a cop car.

They are assuming an authority that was not given to them by the citizens as we do to our appointed police.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Its painted up with CITIZEN PATROL on it(rather like the private alarm company cars),and yes,they are the same types of cars usually as the police drive.They dont interfere with you,nor do they enforce.They are merely a set of eyes patrolling the streets looking for illegal activities.Like drive by your house when you are on vacation,that sort of thing.They then notify law enforcement if something is amiss.

Believe me,Im like you,a strong believer in personal freedom.That said,I like having these guys out there,They probably deter a lot of crime,just as neighborhood watches do.

They arent a gestapo/vigilante group by any stretch :nono: .And Motivated is a good example how they can influence criminals in your backyard.Crooks dont like being noticed.

All in All,I like em. :bow:

BooBoo

6. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Here the citizen patrol has radio and works WITH the sheriffs dept. They call them if there is criminal activity going on. They are volunteers.
    They can drive by your home up to 3 times a day while you are on vacation etc.
    It was suggested by the sheriff dept.

7. ellebeaux

I can see how this would be useful, especially in poorly populated counties that don't have a large enough tax base to support a large enough police force. Again, if it's supported by the police and has the same code of conduct as they do, I'm all for it.

But, unsupported, it sounds like it has potential to turn into a witch hunt and they could 'harass' people until they move out of there. I'll post later about my new bad neighbor situation and I'd like to see how you would handle it!

cheers,
    Beaux

8. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Citizens Patrol - I used to do that, about 10 years ago. We would usually just patrol the problem areas where the teens hung out. Had a radio and that's about all. No drug action or anything heavy. We also would set up on the side of the road with a radar gun and a display showing people how fast they were going. It's hilarious to watch people hitting their brakes then giving you funny looks. They actually gave us shirts and windbreakers that had a badge on it. In fine print it read "volunteer".