Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished Joe Hill's "The Fireman", excellent read. His best since Heart Shaped Box.

I'm reading Stephen King's last installment on the Bill Hodge's trilogy, "End of Watch" which is another excellent read.

It was fun reading the novels of a son and father back to back. Definitely different writers but both have a fantastic attention to detail.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
I had forgotten that King's family are writers. I stopped reading King's books after Pet Semetary. For some reason I found that profoundly disturbing.

I'm reading The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors which details the naval battle in the Philipine Sea that matched Japanese battleships against American destroyers.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had forgotten that King's family are writers. I stopped reading King's books after Pet Semetary. For some reason I found that profoundly disturbing.

I'm reading The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors which details the naval battle in the Philipine Sea that matched Japanese battleships against American destroyers.
King's later books are more fantasy and less horror, in my opinion. Pet Sematary bothered me too.

Tabitha King writes as well but I've never read her work.

·
Saltine American
6,136 Posts

That's where I started and stopped reading King.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm reading "The Curse on Tenth Grave" by Darynda Jones. It's a great series, funny and sarcastic.

Next up is Stephen King's book of short stories, "Skeleton Crew". It's just been put out in audio.

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
I have found King's last half dozen book to be among his best, best since the Stand. Joyland was one of the best books I have read in a long time.

I finished The Fireman a couple of weeks back. I would give it 7-8/10. One trait they both share, in my opinion is that they are great storytellers. It is like you are sitting around a fire listening to them.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found King's last half dozen book to be among his best, best since the Stand. Joyland was one of the best books I have read in a long time.

I finished The Fireman a couple of weeks back. I would give it 7-8/10. One trait they both share, in my opinion is that they are great storytellers. It is like you are sitting around a fire listening to them.
I'm reading "Skeleton Crew" right now (I slipped in a couple more books), it's an old book of short stories that was recently made into an audio. It's just not as good as his newer work.

Joyland was great, as was the Bill Hodges trilogy, but I loved Dr. Sleep.

Did you like Dreamcatcher, Duma Key, and Cell? I thoroughly enjoyed all three but many people didn't.

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
I'm reading "Skeleton Crew" right now (I slipped in a couple more books), it's an old book of short stories that was recently made into an audio. It's just not as good as his newer work.

Joyland was great, as was the Bill Hodges trilogy, but I loved Dr. Sleep.

Did you like Dreamcatcher, Duma Key, and Cell? I thoroughly enjoyed all three but many people didn't.
I did. The first two not as much as later work. But Cell was very good.

I think the ones I don't like are generally from his drug and alcohol problems period.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just finished "The Wicked Girls" and it was just interesting enough to keep me listening until the end. I'm onto "Tricky Twenty Two" by Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum is my guilty pleasure.

Reactions: MDKatie

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
I just finished "The Wicked Girls" and it was just interesting enough to keep me listening until the end. I'm onto "Tricky Twenty Two" by Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum is my guilty pleasure.
That one sounds good, have to try it. My guilty pleasure are Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series. A is for ...

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished Stephanie Plum and onto "The Jealous Kind" by James Lee Burke. He's one of my favorite authors although I prefer Dave Robicheaux to the Holland family series.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That one sounds good, have to try it. My guilty pleasure are Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series. A is for ...
I tried the Milhone series but just couldn't get into it. I'll have to try again.

Stephanie Plum is just plain funny.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,858 Posts
I recently got a library card again, have been reading ebooks. Went back thru my old favorites, Hillerman and Grisham. Read all the Longmire books by Johnson, they made me miss the series even more. Also re-read some old L'Amour favorites, still waiting for The Walking Drum to be available. I will also run thru the Evanovich books, have read a couple and they are amusing. I think I like the "Wicked" series even better than Stephanie Plum. Would like to see something new from Jeanette Walls.

Reactions: mulemom

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I recently got a library card again, have been reading ebooks. Went back thru my old favorites, Hillerman and Grisham. Read all the Longmire books by Johnson, they made me miss the series even more. Also re-read some old L'Amour favorites, still waiting for The Walking Drum to be available. I will also run thru the Evanovich books, have read a couple and they are amusing. I think I like the "Wicked" series even better than Stephanie Plum. Would like to see something new from Jeanette Walls.
Longmire is my current favorite series, and there's a new book out "An Obvious Fact" due out on Tuesday (9/13) :)

Grisham has a new one coming out on 10/25. I keep reading hoping there will be another "A Time to Kill" or "The Last Juror", maybe this one.

I'll try the "Wicked" series. The only thing I've read by Jeanette Walls was her memoir "Glass Castle", I enjoyed it.

·
Saltine American
6,136 Posts
Longmire is my current favorite series, and there's a new book out "An Obvious Fact" due out on Tuesday (9/13) :)

Grisham has a new one coming out on 10/25. I keep reading hoping there will be another "A Time to Kill" or "The Last Juror", maybe this one.

I'll try the "Wicked" series. The only thing I've read by Jeanette Walls was her memoir "Glass Castle", I enjoyed it.
I have to catch up on Grisham. Read a time to kill twice, but my favorite Grisham is "Painted House".

Currently reading "The Survivor" from the Mitch Rapp Series.
Just Finished "The Crossing" by Michael Connelly and read all he puts out.
Prior to that read "When David Died" by john Locke. Locke writes some weird stuff.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to catch up on Grisham. Read a time to kill twice, but my favorite Grisham is "Painted House".

Currently reading "The Survivor" from the Mitch Rapp Series.
Just Finished "The Crossing" by Michael Connelly and read all he puts out.
Prior to that read "When David Died" by john Locke. Locke writes some weird stuff.
I enjoyed "Painted House" too. Plus there is a new Micheal Connelly (it's a Harry Bosch, I think) coming out on November 1st.

I'll look into the Mitch Rapp series. :)

·
Saltine American
6,136 Posts
I enjoyed "Painted House" too. Plus there is a new Micheal Connelly (it's a Harry Bosch, I think) coming out on November 1st.

I'll look into the Mitch Rapp series. :)
Yes, Harry Bosch, but read the Michael Haller (sp) stuff also.

Check out Jake Lassiter Series and the other stuff by Lavine.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, Harry Bosch, but read the Michael Haller (sp) stuff also.

Check out Jake Lassiter Series and the other stuff by Lavine.
I like both Bosch and the Lincoln Lawyer series, but the best is when they're together and the book is about both. :)

Reactions: po boy
1 - 20 of 316 Posts