What If You Lost It All?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by big rockpile, Dec 8, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

What would you do if you lost everything? I mean your Job,House,and your Car got repoed. :shrug:

big rockpile

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

If that was all I lost I would be okay. I would have the most important things left my God and my family

3. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Pick my self up by the boot straps and find a solution. Survive.

4. Sassafrassa

Sassafrassa WorkerBee

What a hard question to answer!! My first instinct would be to cry. A lot. Then I would pray. A lot.

Then I think that, since I am lucky enough to have a very close circle of friends, I would ask them for help....at least at first. I would look for a job. Any job, and start applying for all public assistance I could possibly qualify for.

Then I would look at retraining for school, and hopefully be able to get back on my feet. I hope I wouldn't be bitter or angry. But one doesn't really know unless one is in that situation. One of the hardest things for me would be to give up my pets! I can't be homeless and have 2 dogs, a horse and 30 chickens!!

You've given me lots to think about, and lots to be thankful for.

Sassa

5. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

Start over ;) Find work, live with friends or family until I could get my own place. Borrow wheels until I could buy my own.

There is ALWAYS work, if a person is willing. I have never (*knock on wood*) even applied for "unenjoyment, as my sister puts it, in over 30 years in the workforce. Not to say it couldn't happen, it could, but I figure I am fairly resourceful, and have done lots of different things over the years-I could make it.

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I would move in with my mom until I was back on my feet again.

7. mowrey1999

mowrey1999 Well-Known Member

Big rockpile, My experience or the closest thing I can relate to losing everything was when I was 18 just out of high school my parents said I was on my own and with that I had a vw beetle paid for and worth about 300 dollars and put my 1 suitcase in it and all the money I had 400.00 dollars and drove to houston texas, no job, no place to sleep, nothing.But within 3 days i found a job slept in the car, and after about 2 weeks had struck up a conversation with a guy I was working with and he new someone looking for a roommate, moved in with him and lived with him for 2 years, I was working for uhaul and oshmans sporting goods 7days a week with both jobs, since i needed the money and both jobs were only around min wage at the time I didnt complain just keep trying to work my way up into better pay or or talk to people who might be able to help me find a better job, eventually I found a better job and worked my way into more money, I survived and think even if you loose everything or are starting with nothing you can sustain your self and work to better your self, So I guess if I lost everything i would just start at the bottom and try to work my way up ,I feel there are opportunities out there but to many people have 1 excuse after another why 1 job isnt for them ,

8. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Been there 2 times. I always make do. And bounce back. It would take me 30 days to start to get back on my feet. Last timer I lost everything. Was when I broke mt neck. Time before thatI was taking care of my father, he went inti A nurseing home I was on the street. But I survived and always will.

9. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

Again?

Well, it will clean the house, or actually - get to start anew...

Make a plan, get to work, enjoy the process.
    and be glad this time the girls are grown and on their own... and I could live with one of them while saving money to find a new place to live, etc.

Angie

10. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Depends on how and why I lost it all. Right now I feel that I have several safety nets in place so if one situation fails, I have plan B. That's crucial, especially when young children are involved. There's insurance -- life, health, home, car. There's credit, which would help for a while. There's redundancy in the skills DH and I possess, meaning that if we couldn't make a living at what we do currently, we could get a job someplace else. We have relatives and friends who could help us a little bit. We're not rich, just cautious. It would take a serious event for us to lose it all.

But okay, I won't rule it out. If I had to start out tomorrow with nothing but a few belongings in a suitcase, I think I'd go get a cashier or waitress job someplace and then look into renting-to-buy a small trailer, both on a bus line. After I was a little more stable and maybe could buy a better wardrobe, I'd get an office job and work up from there, seeking out freelance work on the side, using computers at the library till I could buy one of my own.

11. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

This is my biggest worry. :( As others have said, I would pick myself back up again and move on. Nobody knows what will happen in life, so we need to cherish what we have and acknowledge that anything can change in a moments notice. I guess my advice would be to never become complacent and to never stop learning. :)

12. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Hmm both cars are paid for , the property is paid off , if for some reason we couldnt make payments on the house they can put wheels under it and haul it off . In that case we'd move back into the trailor or bus both of which are free and clear .We dont have any credit cards I suppose they can take the powerlines in which case we will use the wind mill , they can turn off the water and we will have to figure something to haul some with since we dont have a well . let them turn the phone off its no biggy but bills stay current . We can if need be cook and heat with wood . not sure how we would loose everthing.
    Through I have to agree with others as long as I have my family I havent lost anything important. If someone is going to take my family I either am or will be dead before it happens.

13. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

When you hit rock bottom, you have no where to go but up! I had a friend who after 11 years got a divorce, (and they NEVER fouht or even yelled at each other!) Anyway, he knocked on our door with nothing but a pillow & blanket one night.

14. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

BTDT when a tornado took it all. Stayed with family for a few days, got a job, rented an apt. got on with life. Don't ever want to do it again, it's not a good place to be, but I know I would survive.

15. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

I did -- u start over is all,, had a business fail, ended up broke an homeless so started back again, stuff happens!

16. steader

steader Unknown

What do you mean by if, some of us have.

17. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Well, what are the options? Either you start over or you spend the rest of your life grousing about what you lost. Regardless, life moves forward, you'll have to eat another meal and find a warm place to sleep. You could do it on your own power or toss up your hands, helpless, and hope someone will take care of you.

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I dont have a "job"
    my cars/trucks/houses are paid for.

the only way I can lose it 'all' is by taxes, or the mineral rights, or eminent domain.

But if i lost it "all" Ive survived far worse. I'd make it.

19. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

As long as there is life, there is still hope. I think we would try to go into missionary work. Don't need much but the clothes on your back to do that.

Actually, think of how many opportunities there would be if you lost everything and had to start over. Not saying I don't think it would be difficult. It would be! But, the possiblilties would be endless as to what we could do with ourselves at that point. I think as long as you didn't get depressed about it, and tried your best to see it with a positive attitude-it could maybe be a liberating, faith-reinforcing experience. :)

ok, so I'm a Pollyanna! :p

20. SmartAZ

SmartAZ Well-Known Member

Well, gee, I started with nothing and had to figure out for myself how to get along. The worst part of being broke is that everybody thinks you must be some kind of reprobate. (Try getting a job without an address!) It reaches a point where if someone gives you a fair deal you think there must be something wrong with him.

Edited to add: I solved the car problem thirty years ago: don't buy a car until you can pay in full for it. I haven't always had a car since then, but when I did I owned it free and clear.