What if we didn't see the afterbirth?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by lazybee, Mar 27, 2006.

1. lazybee

lazybee Active Member

Our last doe kidded today-twins. The doeling came out upside down, head and feet first. It was a rough delivery but she's doing well. The buckling practically slid out. The mom is fine, first time freshener, but none of us are sure we saw the afterbirth after the boy was born. There was some stuff hanging but not the usual looking afterbirth. Is it possible it came that fast, we left shortly after making sure the kids were okay, and she ate it? I've had some hang on to the afterbirth for a day or so. We don't pull ours- we let them come naturally. Will the afterbirth come on it's own? My daughter is up at the barn checking her now and is going to try bouncing her. I can't imagine there being another baby in there- she wasn't that big. We've never had this happen but of course this has been our year to "try" all the different things that can happen during kidding!!

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had some goats eat their afterbirth and others bury it in the straw. Also, after a difficult birth, some are slower to pass their afterbirth. If no more babies are felt when bouncing the doe and she looks thin, I'd keep an eye on her and pay attention to any bad odors eminating from her vulva.

3. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

congrats on the delivery :p

4. glidergurl03

glidergurl03 Well-Known Member

I've heard give warm water...if they haven't dropped it, the warm water will help them drop it.

5. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never seen my goat pass her afterbirth. I have found it buried in the straw, and I've found it just laying there. If I find it, I remove it. I also watch the does real close for a few days. If they start acting ill, I call the vet. If not, I don't worry any more!

6. lazybee

lazybee Active Member

So far she is doing great- the momma- so i'll relax a little and just observe her. The 2 kids are doing very well also!

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have one doe that I have never seen the after birth after her first delivery. I am pretty sure she eats it because she did her first one. I have other does that take 20 hours to lose it and some lose it in a few hours. just keep a eye on her. If you find it in the straw or where ever make sure you get it out. I always put it in several plastic bags and put it in the trash. I never leave it out because it will call wild animals areound me to come. did you give mom molasses water after she was done? I give it for several days or as long as they want it.
    Congratulations on the babies. :goodjob:

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Does can gobble up that afterbirth in a flash. I only managed to snag half of my last doe's - it was gone in a heartbeat.

9. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I didn't find my doe's afterbirth till the next day. She had a hard labor though.