What I would expect to see??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GoldenWood Farm, Dec 25, 2004.

1. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Ok. I have a doe who is like 2 weeks and 2 days away from kidding. What are things that I can expect from her? Mucus discharge? This is her second time and my first :rolleyes: . As you can tell I am VERY nervous about it. I am not freaking out but I am a little nervous....

MotherClucker

2. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Well I am probably not the best one to tell you here but each doe is different
    at least mine are.
    Yes you may see discharge which will be clear or can be creamy with no apparent smell if yellow or bloody or smelling bad then worry.
    you may see her start to bag up but some does don't until after delivery
    Checking her ligaments at the tail is the best way I can tell when they are close usually if you cant feel them or they are very loose she will deliver with in the next 12 hrs.
    http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html
    Gives you a very good idea of what to look for.

3. GoldenWood Farm

I have been around when does have kidded and I know what to look for when they are just about to kid. The doe has already started to bag up a bit. I am not sure when her mucus plug goes or what. Guess I am just worried about what would be normal..and stuff...she is HUGE! She is probably going to end up having triplits this year she is so durned huge!

MotherClucker
    ps: she is a boer

4. Sondra Peterson

Well some can even discharge slightly up to a month prior in fact I have one that does that. Since you have a date with this one then you shouldn't have to worry too much. With my first goats and knowing nothing I spent abt 3 wks in the barn. Hubby wanted to know if he should just move the bed out there :haha:

5. GoldenWood Farm

LOL...Yea last night when I grained her I had to haul her up on the milk stand because she was so heavy she couldn't make it up her self :eek: . It was so neat because since i helped her up I guess I woke up the babys. I could see them moving and kicking in her belly!!! Talk about cool! I put my hand on her belly and could feel them moving around. Wow it was the coolest thing on earth! Poor baby. I looked at her tail and it looks as if she already has had some discharge but none right now. When should her mucus plug go?

MotherClucker

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

As Sondra mentioned, you might see mucous a few weeks before she kids. If you see a long, thick string of mucous, then you can expect kidding to be imminent. I have also learned to recognize the loose tail ligaments. Watch them, and you will learn to get a good idea without even feeling. The tail might hang kind of funny-like. And, as mentioned, she may or may not bag up.
    Mine tend to hold their ears out and back when they have contractions. But they're Nubians. lol.
    btw, why does she need to jump up on the milk stand to eat? I let mine eat in buckets on the ground when they are big like that. Trust me, when you are that pregnant, you do not want to jump.
    mary

7. GoldenWood Farm

She didn't have to jump as I mentioned I lifted her up. I don't have it set up in my barn that I can let her eat out of a bucket. She has already bagged up some. Not full mind you but she is bagging up. Now does the mucus plus go at like a week before kidding?

MotherClucker

8. Sondra Peterson

oh my goodness I have never seen the mucus plug go so can't answer that question as to when, am totally guessing but would think the plug would go as the first bubble is trying to immerge. Hopefully Vicki or someone will answer here and then we'll both know :) Oh and by the way I only feed on the milk stand so all preggers go up there to eat. fat or not.

9. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

I've never seen a mucus plug either!! Rain get's as big as a house and udders up early and her sister Rose, well, this past kidding, I'd have bet you $50, 15 min before she had her single buckling, that she wasn't even pregnant.. she tends to stay trim and doesn't get an udder untill she kids... go figure ;)