What I get for impulse buying!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hovey Hollow, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

We were at our local farm store last night and I decided to go look at the plants. DD was grumbling about the veggies so I said lets go see what fruit trees they have and I'll let you pick something out. They had these dwarf peach trees with beautiful purple foliage that were COVERED in little peaches. They were in three gallon pots on sale for $8.88 so we picked up a couple. I just looked them up on the internet. They are an ORNAMENTAL and are listed as INEDIBLE!!!! :bash: :bash:
    AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Oh well, they are pretty! But I really would have prefered something that would have given us some fruit occaisionally. BTW......these were Genetic Dwarf "Bonfire" peaches.

Live and learn! Do your research before you buy something!

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Bummer. But then, maybe the songbirds will appreciate your mistake and sing real pretty to thank you :D

3. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

Now I'm finding a couple of sites that say sweet, white fleshed with red streaks ripening in August. Are they lying trying to sell plants or could they be "edible" but with small fruit and big pits so not worth the trouble? Anyone know anything about this peach tree?

4. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

I think I'd be surprised if any type of stone-fruit was really inedible. I'd guess they're just considered too small or not tasty enough to be worth it. Similarly, flowering plum trees are just grown for the flowers, but I think the tiny, tart plums are really good!