What herbs for kitchen?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ceresone, Dec 19, 2005.

1. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd like to start a herb bed, and learn to use them in my cooking. what do you grow? what do you think is a necessity? and how do you use them in cooking?prefer hardy types, but i can move them inside if necessary--zone 6 here.

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

We HAVE to have chives for baked potatoes, soups and mixed with Cream cheese and stuffed into celery

Basil is something that you will plant every year...but I have to have it for pesto, spaghetti sauce, pizza, and salad dressing

Garlic of course...for everything!

oregano is great for Italian food and also a bit in Mexican casseroles etc...

Thyme is good on chicken...and just because I like the way it attracts bees....it is great for infection used as a tea.....antiviral and antifungal, and antibiotic....

Sage for dressing

parsley ...a dab in just about everything that I make....soups, sauces, meats, etc...

dill for making pickles and using on fish fillets

mint for tea and adding to some pork or lamb dishes...but we don't eat much of those...I use it mostly for tea

Rosemary, savory, feverfew(for migraines), calendula(for rashes), ....the list could go on and on..it depends on how you cook and what you will be using them for...and also if you are going to use them for medicinal use too....

3. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

I grow and use,Chives,garlic,rosemary,thyme,basil,sage,parsley,oregano,
    peppermint,sperimint,and lemon balm.

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Try them all. If I had to recommend one besides what others have already mentioned it would be pineapple sage. It has a great red flower that hummers love and a great pineapple scent.

5. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Depends on what you like to cook, of course. I grew lots of stuff this year that I never ended up using because it just didn't fit into my cooking scheme, no matter how good it looked on paper.

Here's what we DID use:
    Mints!--several kinds, mostly for flavoring iced tea--tastes great, and the sprigs sure look pretty in the glass tea jar
    Basil!--tons, mostly for pesto (have quarts of the stuff in the freezer), but also good with eggs, mixed in salads, on sandwiches... everything, really
    Sage--good in soups, etc., made a really classy pesto out of it with walnuts, can also throw some thyme or marjoram in the pesto
    Thyme--in pesto, various dishes for flavoring
    Cilantro--great to top squash soups, in burritos, with potatoes, a bit in salads
    Parsley--mostly just garnish, but lots of recipes call for it

What I was too lazy to figure out how to use a lot of:
    Lemongrass
    Thai Basil
    Marjoram
    Rosemary
    Lavendar
    Chamomile
    Roses
    Dill
    Perilla
    I might be forgetting some here, since I never used them....

P.S. I don't eat meat, so all the stuff you often use to flavor meat is totally wasted on me. You might find more use for it than I did.

6. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Do you usually bring your outdoor plants in for the winter, or do you just start new ones for indoors? If you start new ones, when do you start the seeds?

And what do you do with you lavendar? It's so pretty, and it smells good--I want to like it, but I haven't found it to be too useful so far. Mine always dies anyway, so it might be a moot point.

Thanks!