Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happens to me regularly, I'm not even surprised any more. Do you have the same kind of luck? Is it good luck, or bad luck? If so, does it bother you? Or, is it just me?
This morning, I was looking for a pair of pants and for some reason looked in the wrong place. I found 4 pair of brand new, tag never removed, high quality (Dickies) work pants. After the house burned(4 years ago) and we lost everything, I had gone and bought 7 pair of pants, 4 workpants and 3 jeans. I kept rotating the bluejeans, and forgot all about the workpants, so this morning was like an early Christmas.
Several years ago, one cool March morning. I replaced a bathroom faucet for a lady, it was an $80 dollar (including the material) job. She paid me with 40 two dollar bills. I put them in my jacket pocket. December of the following year(18 months later), I was buying some supplies one morning, went to put the receipt in my jacket pocket, there was already a bunch of papers in there. I pulled them out to see what kind of receipts I had...........it was 40 two dollar bills.

·
1-5-acre dreamin'
393 Posts
This was a year or so ago, but I found $70 in a pocket of a pair of dress pants once!

We could probably do Christmas for ourselves just going through all the boxes of stuff we have packed up just to get it out of the house.....

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Well, not so much forgotten about as "lost." My in-laws visited us from overseas in August and my MIL left gifts for everyone for birthdays and Christmas. She made my hubby a beautiful leopard picture and we had it framed and she gave it to him early. I put all the gifts in our back room for safe keeping.

When hubby's birthday came around in October I was *sure* she had also left him something else to open on the big day but I dug through all the gifts and couldn't find anything. So I figured I must have been mistaken.

This past weekend when I was looking for fabric in our back room I moved some stored baby blankets around and there under all the blankets were FOUR wrapped packages! Three for hubby for his birthday and one for me to open on his birthday. All contained chocolates from South Africa - *real* Cadbury's Top Deck, and for me a bag of Cadbury's Eclairs to share with everyone. Yum!!! So we had a good laugh and now we're enjoying a bit of chocolate each time we watch a movie together :D

·
If I need a Shelter
21,614 Posts
Use to have a standing agreement with my wife if she cleaned my Truck she could keep all change she found.Well she found $600 that I had forgot about :confused::Bawling::shrug: Oh well a Deal is a Deal.

big rockpile

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
I forget stuff, but it's always bad. I keep giving things away that I think I don't need anymore. Two years later I want it and look and look and then finally remember that I gave it away :rolleyes:

:) RedTartan <- blessing others and cursing myself!

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I was down in the basement rotating the stock just yesterday. Deep in a cobwebby corner I discovered a half case of Mead that I bottled. The labels say 2004. I thought that stuff was long gone. SCORE!

I always do things like this though. "Hide" things on purpose, mostly from my family...then break them out when no one is expecting it. It is totally fun.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I "found" something I didn't even know we had! When we got married over six years ago, my friend from Boston sent us up a beautiful woven picnic basket. Inside was a set of melmac dishes....underneath those was a liner of red tissue paper.

We've used that basket umpteen times, whenever we would go out on the boat. This summer, coincidentally on our Sixth Wedding Anniversary, we were going to go to friends and I needed to use the picnic basket to bring stuff along.

I dropped the basket and the tissue paper fell out. Underneath that tissue paper had been a cooking magazine. My friend had put that in there as part of our wedding present.

I emailed her and explained what happened and said "Thank You for the Anniversary Present"! We all had a good chuckle out of that one.

Annie

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
I would always take chritmas presents for my brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews to my mom's to be distributed. One year as we were getting ready for a trip to my sister's we found the presents from the 2 years before packed away in a cooler. Delivered them just 2 years late.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I did have a surprise mid November when I came across a rifle I had forgotten that I owned. I had laid it on top of a bookshelf in the recess and couldn't see it there, hence forgotten. Guess I need to clean there more often.

Here is info on the antique Remington rolling block action #4 .22 cal. http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearm_models/centerfire/model_4.asp

I found that there was a very light amount of rust on the gun so I disassembled it and used 0000 steel wool to remove it before oiling and storing properly.

Thankfully I didn't need any help to reassemble the simple mechanism--but where is gunsmithegirl when you need her anyway?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
One year our son gave me a candle for Christmas. I thanked him for the candle. Imagine my surprise several weeks later as I was putting away all the Christmas decorations and bags I pulled out the tissue paper from one bag and there was a card with $45.00 in it. I felt terrible. I called son and apologized.

At the time Hubby and were doing the Dave Ramsey program and really were eating mostly beans and rice and whatever we had from the garden. We ate very little meat. Our son knew this so inside the card was a note with the money that read "Go out and have a nice meal on us. For one night no beans and rice." LOL

SGG

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Yesterday, I pulled on a coat I had not worn since early October...and found $75 in the pocket!!

Of course, I have chronic late stage Lyme, so everyday is a "new" finding for me...ketchup in the dog food cabinet, spoons in the junk drawer, 8 boxes of fruit snacks for my daughter (I kept forgetting I had bought them)...

·
Registered
430 Posts
A year after graduating from High School I lost my class ring. I thought maybe the cat (who liked to play with things on the top of my dresser) had batted or somehow put it somewhere. About 8 years later (and moving two times) I thought it was time to clean out my closet and was putting clothing in a bag for Good Will and I checked a pocket of a really old skirt and there was my class ring! I was so happy. All those years I blamed the cat for something he didn't do, boy did I feel silly.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
I actually keep a pretty good mental inventory of what I have stashed or stacked. But I've been donating/selling/passing along a certain amount of stuff since I retired from teaching .... and find myself thinking I still have this or that in the other closet, or shelved in the basement. It's typically nothing I WANT, what's missing is something I think I should unload, but I already have. How funny is that?? Sue

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Its always frusterating to be digging thru stuff to find some particular item. But sometimes I do find stuff I forgot about!
A few yrs ago parents moved to assisted living. Dad (in his 90's) had rented a storage facility and decided to clean it out. We told him we could bring it to our place.
One of the items was a manilla envelope marked "Wills & funeral directions" Dh was starting to go thru it and I said "Hey wait a minute..." But he had already discovered $450 cash. We both knew Dad wouldnt remember it but took it to him anyway...rather, gave it to his wife cause she still has all her marbles. The look on her face was just priceless..she had a big grin as we joked we would split it with her. She insisted on a $50 reward.

·
Registered
415 Posts
This past summer I was going thru some birthday cards from my 40th BD. I had stuck them in the back of a drawer. Glad I did found $ 140.00!! I was saving it for something "special" Over the last 9 years there were many times I could have really used it!! Told the kids when I die be sure to check any envelopes before tossing them out!

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
what have you found that you forgot all about?....

recently found what was left of my mind. Life is getting better :)

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
When we were packing for a trip several years ago DS found a wad of $20 bills in the pocket of a suitcase. It was a total of $600. I had put it in there a couple years earlier to save for our next vacation. LOL

Yes, DS got a nice reward for bringing the money to me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts