What happened?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Snugglebunny, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny Well-Known Member

We live in an apt without acess to a yard, so this summer I wanted to grow some sort of veggie indoors.

SO I bought a bag of Miracle Grow potting mix, a self-watering windowbox style planter and some very cheap Lettuce seeds (Black seeded simpson I believe) on sale from Walmart and went to town.

Well, those little seeds sprouted in 2 or 3 days (we had a heat spell - it was about 80 degrees where the seeds were), grew awhile then nothing. They just sort of sat there as sprouts and never actually turned into...lettuce. I am very confused, since I was told Lettuce is one of the easiest things to grow. I watered it just right and everything, waited a good three months and they never did anything more than sprout and grow a couple inches.
    What happened?

Also...

I would like to grow some veggies indoors, specifically tomatoes (since they're horribly overpriced right now). I am also considering perhaps a container garden on the porch in the spring. There is an old desk sitting out there from the previous tennants..ugliest thing, and I thought it would be neat to have a container garden on the desk...maybe in the drawers too. Any advice? What to grow and how? I do have the "Square foot gardening" book...love it!

My mom has the greenest thumbs I've ever seen...I'm beginning to wonder if I have them...I can't seem to get it right.

Thanks to all!

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, lettuce does not like heat. You said it was hot when they germinated. When did you plant them? Did you plant them where they got too much sun and heat?

3. Snugglebunny

Ummmm...probably. Like I said, the window area (it's a kind of hallway with two big old farmhouse style windows) was a good 80 degrees just after I planted them (this was way back in april or may). I would say it gets a lot of sun. It seems to be sunny all the time there. (Not sure what direction they face...it's snowing so I can't see the sun to tell)

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm afraid vegetables just do not do that well indoors because of the humidity and quality of sunlight. Veggies need six good hours of sunlight.

Do you have a balcony? You may want to look into renting a public plot or asking some older folks if they would like help in their garden in exchange for growing your own?

5. Snugglebunny

No, no balcony. There is a porch where our entrance is, though, that I will be able to use. I wouldn't be able to ask other people, etc...too much involved for that.

Actually, the windows I had the lettuce in do get tons of sunlight...and I don't think I'd be reluctant to say 6 hours, either. they're two huge windows side-by-side, and it's always sunny. Even now, in the midst of a snowstorm with overcast skies it's still sunny in these windows. They're old tho, so they might get a bit drafty.

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Miacle grow does have some nutrition in the potting soil. But, when that is used up you may need to fertilize.

Next time, you can pick and eat the individual leaves. Though. lettuce does get bitter if it is too warm, or too dry, or under any other kind of stress.

Since lettuce is a cool weather plant, why not try again right now?

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

Snugglebunny, is there a way to get someplanter boxes built 12"Wx12"D by length of the window.to attach with brackets on the outside of the window?That way you could open the window to the box garden.I have one on a building window that I open the window to water the flowers I put in there.

8. dare2b

dare2b crone