Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why did just this part of the forum become private? seems you can read all except for countryside families without being logged in. curious as to why. is it due to some commercial money reason that makes it a must to join?

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
was this your idea Melissa? just curious, as like I said no other part of this entire forum requires you to be member to read. just countryside families. I'd think this was a tame and family oriented part that people could feel welcomed whether logged in or not? I'm just asking as I've mentioned this forum to other people that now are confused.

·
Lovin' my Fam
4,459 Posts
SEP makes you log in too- it was announced by Angie over there- these are the 2 test areas-

Reactions: nehimama

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just feel bad as I mentioned this site for people to visit to receive friendly help and advice. some people don't like the 'feel' of having to join a site, yet they do appreciate reading helpful information. how sad this part of the forum seems to ban the public.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh. ok. just seems so sad that only countryside families seems to require a membership. I would think general chat or such would require such. not general family chat. oh well.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Melissa, is it some kind of experiment? Is it just temporary or is it permanent?

It does seem to be rather unwelcoming at first but in thinking about it I think I can understand why Countryside Families and S&EP forums would require readers to be registered members and logged in to read on them to protect the privacy and safety of HT members.

When you look at the stickies at the top here, there's links to people's blogs and to people's personal family photos, and there's people's personal life stories - then there's the topics that get posted here about people's personal family, health and legal problems, etc. - so much very personal and intimate information. Some of it is a little too personal and intimate and a little too trusting, the kind of stuff you don't want strangers, stalkers and predators finding on internet when they're doing searches looking for potential victims.

I'm glad though that it's only those 2 forums that require readers to be registered and logged in. I hope it won't extend to all forums. I browse through the forums every day but I usually don't log in unless I get an email notice saying that I have PM's, or if I want to post a response to a particular topic of interest that I noted while browsing. I imagine there are lots of other registered members who do the same thing or don't log in for various other personal reasons. Out of sight is out of mind and soon forgotten for some people, so due to certain forums and posts being overlooked or not noticed because registered members were not logged in I wouldn't be surprised if the number of registered members readership and postings drops a little bit on the 2 closed forums now if it's going to be closed as a permanent thing.

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
I do the same as Paumon. just log in when I want to post or find that i have a pm. I saw a couple posts today I would like to read but didn't bother to log in. ~Georgia.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
I, too, sometimes just want to read and don't log in unless I wanted to post. When I couldn't open a thread tonight, I thought I had been banned or some such thing. I made up my mind to just suffer the withdrawals and go on - then decided to log in - -

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
This makes sense..actually I like it.

Sometimes I share things to you all in this forum regarding my family, but would rather keep private FROM my family. Funny, I had just changed my username because a few days ago I realized if you searched for my previous username, threads here could be viewed by anyone. My username was very similar to my email and I was pretty easily searchable through google. (I know..I sound paranoid..swear I'm not). :D It's just nice to be able to vent sometimes, without the fear of someone finding out that you were complaining, you know? Some of you who have more generic-sounding usernames wouldn't need to be worried though!

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
For those that don't know your password. If you log out and cannot get a message to me, use the Contact Us at the bottom of the forum. It will get to me, and I can create a new one and give it to you, or I can insert one you give me to put there for you. I cannot see anyone's current password.

Angie

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
is it that the current owners decided that the popular segments of this forum must log in to up their membership for money in advertising? there has to be a logical reason to target certain parts of this forum for 'tests'.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts