Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 month old H.. sorry.. had a 1 month old Hereshire bull calf. He was still on goat milk and doing quite well. He was starting to eat hay and grain a little. He was doing great! That is.. til a few days ago. I noticed a little snot around his nose but not really runny. We have had snow and sleet lately. He had a shelter he shared with a bigger steer and some goats. All was well...

til last night. I noticed he was standing out in the rain/sleet (40ish degrees) As the temp dropped it turned to snow and i could see his tracks as everyone else was in the shelter. He hadn't hardly moved since it started snowing. So I dragged him to the shelter and put him away for the night.

I went out at 8am this morning and he was laying in the shelter when everyone else ran out to come attack me for grain. I wnet in there and he wouldn't get up. I brought him in his milk and he did drink it but he was weak. He had some drool and a bit more mucus around his nose but nothing horrible.. Other than not wanting to stand up, he seemed strong and fine. He just woudn't put weight on his front legs.

So we went to town and came back about 5 hours later and I had bought penicillian for him and i went to give it to him and he was in the same spot I had left him that morning. He was bleeding around the tag that was in his ear and it looked a tad infected. I had to carry the calf out and put him in a shed and put a heat lamp on him and gave him the antibodics. We tubed him and fed him his milk because he was so very weak. He pee'd right after we fed him and he perked up a bit and was mooing but wouldn't get up. But he sounded good. I came inside and watched biggest loser for 2 hours and went back out and he was cold... gone...

i am quite dishearted... and very sad. We have lost a lot of chickens this week to Fowl Pox. I know death is just part of farming life but I am not used to so much death so short of time.....

what happened to my calf? what could I have done to save him?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sounds like the bigger steer might of bashed/pushed him too hard and seriously hurt him. I have a feeling that is why he was outside in the bad weather, too.

·
Registered
720 Posts
" I noticed a little snot around his nose but not really runny."
I would say from living in almost the same climate your in, pneumonia. The reason he was out in the cold and sleet was a high fever. then when his temp dropped down from the cold temp outside. He basiclly died of hypothermia due to his core temp getting to low despite your attemps to warm him.
Here is a tip for cold weather calf raising. If a calf gets cold a heatlamp projected on them will not warm them fast enough to help them. So, this is what has worked for me in the past. I use a 110V milk house heater blowing on them. Improvise a tent type structure over the calf to help confine the heat to the area the down calf is in. It does not need to be very big. Just a tad bigger then the calf. Aim the heater at is butt. Have a Small opening at the other end to allow so air circulation. This is a very quick and fast way to warm a calf back up. Or if you want to you can build a box with a double floor with holes in it. Have a way to force hot air in too the space between the floors and have it coem up through the holes to warm the calf from all 4 sides. They do sell comerecial calf heating boxes too. Last yr I used pink styrafoam fan fold insulation board. I had a 3 sheet piece of it. Layed the calf on one piece fold teh other 2 up and over to form a triangle. Sat the heater at one end and drapped a bath towel over the other to control the air flow. Some slabs of bedding on each side to help keep things in place.
Bob

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we are going to replace him. if possible with a weaned calf but if not, and i get another bottle calf.. am i better off just raising him in a small area with a heat lamp?

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the bigger steer might of bashed/pushed him too hard and seriously hurt him. I have a feeling that is why he was outside in the bad weather, too.

I'd probably think that except we lost a bottle calf in the same way back in February and there was no animals who could have injured him. I wish I had studied up back then

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
I'd buy a weaned one if I were you, losing two calves is not a barrel of fun. Let someone else do all the work, you'll pay more but at least it's a near guaranty to survive.......Topside

·
Registered
720 Posts
I agree with Topside. But, if you do get another bottle calf. You just need a area that has no drafts and a good bedding pack to keep it dry. If you see any discharge from teh nose treat it with a pnuemonia specific drug. Even a calf coat in the winter will help them maintain body heat and help them grow. I have some pics on here with calves with them on. If you do get another bottle calf and want a coat drop me a line.
Bob

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I definately learned here and I can think of several ways I didn't do things right with this calf. I will do my best to get a weaned calf though LOL.. I mean.. I love feeding the little guys but i'd rather dump some hay and grain rather than standing in the cold and feeding a calf now that winter is upon us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts