what happened to this homemade soap???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BamaSuzy, Feb 14, 2005.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

My first batch of goat milk soap EVER was made in January and I've just begun using it and it is wonderful! Everyone is exclaiming over it.

So a few days ago I decided to make a batch of buttermilk soap, using the same basic recipe (5 1/2 lbs fat), one can of lye, and this type two pints of buttermilk and one pint of water (instead of the three pints of goat milk like before).

This time the soap didn't look right when I poured it up and now it is just a crumbly mess...

What went wrong? Could it be chemicals in our water? could the initial stuff have gotten too hot?

I've looked at the "trouble shooting" guides in both my soap-making books and it lists all kinds of other problems but not quite the result I got.

I was so overjoyed with my first batch of soap and so disappointed with this....should I just go back to goat milk or what else did I do wrong???? Any help will be gratefully appreciated!

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Hmmm-not a soap maker yet, but I can't imagine that you can use the same recipe for a thick acid product like buttermilk that you can with just plain goats milk.

And as to your water question--shouldn't you be using soft water rather than tap water?

3. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

ooii....there's nothing plain about goats milk. ;)

4. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

5. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I just looked in my book "The Soapmakers Companion" in the troubleshooting section...................crumbly slab of soap is due to dissolving the sodium hydroxide in hard water. Interesting.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It does happen that batches don't turn out right. Rebatch it with some extra oils. If you want fragrance and/or color this is a good time to add them. To rebatch I just put the soap in a pot with distilled water and let it set overnite, then heat it in a double boiler and put in my extra oils, etc. Stir gently so you don't entrain lots of air. If you want to get lots of lather put in coconut oil at the rebatch.

7. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I'm a soapmaker of over 5 years - it always alarms me when I see soap recipes using volume measurements and not weighted measurements.

Your reciped called for 5.5# of fat, did you really use fat or did you use rendered fat such as tallow or lard, or did you use another type of oil/fat??

What was the size of the can of lye?? Red Devil used to be packaged in 12 oz but their package size has increased now ... not sure if it is 16 or 18 oz. Either way the amount in the new containers is way too high!!

You also used way too much liquid in this recipe!

I want to suggest to you to go get an accuate digital scale, then review my soapmaking page: ttp://www.mullerslanefarm.com/soapmaking.html

there are a number of recipes listed there. Fee free to PM me if you have questions!

8. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

BamaSuzy - let me know if your rebatch works ... :)