Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sent my husband to store to buy some Sevin Dust which is needed to get rid of a whole horrible outbreak of something in a Blackeye Susan Bed. It is a huge bed too large to spray with Safer Soap.

He calls me from store, puts lady on the line and she says there is not any product called Seven/Sevin any more and I have to buy Eight? But when I asked her what is the difference between Seven and Eight, she did not know.

What happened to Seven? And...what is Eight?

What do you use? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,259 Posts
It's on the shelves all over the place here. I'd tell DH to go to another store.

Reactions: Fire-Man

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
We still use it at work (landscaping) in NE Ohio; I hate using chemicals unless absolutely necessary. In my own beds I much prefer to mix up Sunlight dish detergent (hand stuff) about 2 T to a gallon and try that first. When I had apricots and Euonymus (scale issues) I resorted to Malathion on those every other year or so. I wonder if you can still buy that stuff?

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
Sevin certainly isn't a problem to find here. Either dust or liquid concentrate. Last I looked it was even on the shelf at wally world. And Orscheln's Farm and Ranch.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
Thanks everyone. The woman at the store said Seven was not made any more and that Eight is the new Seven. Strange.

Thanks.
I think she is confused, it's not seven , its Sevin you are looking for. I think there is a insecticide called Eight something, made by Bonide, supposed to kill the Eight leading garden insects.

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
All this talk of 7 reminded me of a kid's joke...

Why was 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9. (Maybe next year they'll be selling 9...apparently fearless...)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I purchased some last month at the hardware store. It is readily available around here.

·
Fire On The Mountain
1,458 Posts
Huh, we can still find Sevin here, you can pick it up most anywhere. Maybe that lady is just confused about what you are wanting. Try another store and I bet you'll find it.

This shows what large stores carry Sevin and there's a link to contact them if you can't find it..
http://www.gardentech.com/wheretobuy.asp

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
Maybe you just got pranked by Betty White. Saw her show last nite....What a hoot! Sounds like something they'd do..... :)

geo

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Clerks in stores are not hired because they are brilliant gardeners. They are hired because they are willing to stock shelves all day for minimum wage.

Generally speaking, store clerks are not your number 1 premiere source of good information.

·
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian
1,020 Posts
Sevin certainly isn't a problem to find here. Either dust or liquid concentrate. Last I looked it was even on the shelf at wally world. And Orscheln's Farm and Ranch.
... but Orcheln's Farm and Home is a RIP OFF!!

OMG THIS IS BAD STUFF!!!

Everyone, I am very sad to report that Sevin has struck so close to home... I have written a few times on this forum regarding my concerns about the dangers of Sevin (otherwise known as Carbaryl) and have begged/pleaded that if anyone is using this stuff in their garden to please not use this terrible product... Unlike other pesticides, Sevin will wipe out entire colonies of bees. What happens is the bee carries the poison back to the hive if their body contacts it, similar to the way ants will carry the poison back to the nest...Sevin is outlawed not only in Europe but other countries as well, but sadly is the 3rd! most popular insecticide in the U.S from what I've researched online...
I have a hard time understanding why small home gardeners feel the need to use insecticide or fungicide for that matter. Maybe I'm just blessed that apparently I don't have the same insect and disease pressures as others, but I would never feel it necessary to spray poison in my yard with my young children, animals, and the neighbor kids playing in my yard (not to mention what it does to the environment, ground water, beneficial bugs, etc.) I would not hesitate to rip out any plant unduly burdened with insect or disease issues. Who wants ugly, disease ridden, bug infested plants in their yard?

Lots of people believe if they can buy something legally it must be safe and lots of people do not read the instructions. Just because these items are legal doesn't mean it's smart to use them in your yard.

·
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian
1,020 Posts
... but Orcheln's Farm and Home is a RIP OFF!!

OMG THIS IS BAD STUFF!!!

Everyone, I am very sad to report that Sevin has struck so close to home... I have written a few times on this forum regarding my concerns about the dangers of Sevin (otherwise known as Carbaryl) and have begged/pleaded that if anyone is using this stuff in their garden to please not use this terrible product... Unlike other pesticides, Sevin will wipe out entire colonies of bees. What happens is the bee carries the poison back to the hive if their body contacts it, similar to the way ants will carry the poison back to the nest...Sevin is outlawed not only in Europe but other countries as well, but sadly is the 3rd! most popular insecticide in the U.S from what I've researched online...

·
Fire On The Mountain
1,458 Posts
Clerks in stores are not hired because they are brilliant gardeners. They are hired because they are willing to stock shelves all day for minimum wage.

Generally speaking, store clerks are not your number 1 premiere source of good information.
I find that in smaller stores the clerks are usually pretty helpful. They, at the very least, know the names of the products they stock.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
But when I asked her what is the difference between Seven and Eight, she did not know.
The difference is ONE!!!!!!!!

:bash: sry i had to....lol

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I purchased some last month at the hardware store. It is readily available around here.
Yes I have seen it here and use it around the place. Good stuff. I have even used it on the advice of my vet to help fleas and ticks no the dog, and others as well.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
I just saw it at a store near me too. I don't really use it, but if there is a chance it might go off the market, I'll go ahead and buy some to store in the shed just in case. I've heard it is good to dust around chicken houses and other areas to keep bugs under control. Some people even put it on dog beds and things to keep fleas under control.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts