What happened to Pyrnad's thread?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by greenacresusa, Jul 20, 2006.

1. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

Was checking this morning and Pyrnad's threads about her fun neighbors are gone. It says they were moved but not to where. And when I try to click on it which normally would move me over to that area I get this message about not authorized? I think that most of us want to see how she is making out with those neighbors.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Seems like one of mpillows threads was also moved...to where I don't know. I didn't do it, it must of been Chuck. I'm sure he had a good reason.

3. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

Yea, I'd like to know how things are going for her as well, but it seems that some people on here would rather fight, call names and be insulting. Guess the mods are getting as sick of it as the rest of us. It only takes a few select people to screw things up

Pyrnad we're hoping your doing alright.

Jan

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

It got ugly. Someone started cyberstalking and it got personal.

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh, isn't that the truth! I've been trying to follow Pyrnad too.

Unfortunately, it seems some people don't know how to state their opinions in a civil manner. I wish that they would meander over the General Chat where they can argue their brains out!

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

7. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I said it before and I will say it again... I think it is a shame that opinions can not be expressed without personal insults and malice on this forum!! No one says you have to all agree with each other, but to make it personal is just wrong. Certainly, any thread will have those who agree and those who do not.... that is freedom of speech, but when you are typing, you need to realize what you type and how it comes across to the reader. Those of us who have been really following Pyrnad's progress with these neighbors are now being penalized because of the few that their personal feelings override their brains!! I, for one, was very interested in this subject and, in fact, came in several times a day to view updates. Reading some of the posts, I have to say, made me realize how important it is not to give out addresses, etc. on these forums, as some of these people sounded downright threatening and dangerous. I feel that is the reason that the threads were closed or deleted, and I can't fault the moderators from doing so, but I can fault the ones who allowed themselves to get so out of hand. I hope that Pyrnad will continue to post her progress and I hope that whether we agree or disagree with her, our reponses with be at least courteous and well thought out without any hint of personal emotion in them. Just my 2 cents worth...

8. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Farm act and neighbors thread....

I missed the ending on my thread too (oh well)....pyrnad and I had a nice chat on the phone last night....not to worry she has a good handle on things and we all may be very surprised at the outcome (because she is such a nice person)....we'll all just have to wait and see....

She still wants me to come and milk during PMS....and promised bail money :p LMBO! (a joke...I think :rolleyes: )

9. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Mmm.. I'm not sure at what point people consider the thread to have degenerated, but some of us tried to move it away from Pyrnad in particular to a more general conversation about the "right to farm" and how we as farmers need to be aware of our impact on the community at large.

At which point I was informed (in no uncertain terms) that farmers are free to do anything they well please and I should shut up and take my liberal opinions elsewhere.

I still contend that simply having been on a piece of turf for longer than one's neighbors does not give one a free pass to behave as one wishes. Any more than moving into a community with a certain set of expectations gives one carte blanche to try and make the neighborhood conform to those expectations. I also think there is a fair amount of zeal on all sides when one of these conflicts gets going which boil down to "I'm going to get even."

Nobody wins in a situation that is escalating like that. Even if, in this specific case, Pyrnad is in the right and "wins" I'm sure these people didn't expect to find themselves living in a situation where they are portrayed as the devil's spawn incarnate.

And while it is all well and good for us to armchair this situation and say "they should have..." there's a nice fellow who bought a plot of land in northern Vermont who has discovered the property is (CF correct me if I'm wrong) glacial silt of some kind... which won't support a conventional septic system. The property is 10.1 acres which everyone involved in the transaction may have assumed exempts it from state septic regs... or assumed that surely, on 10.1 acres, there has to be a place that will support septic. Worse, Vermont does not exempt someone with a composting toilet from having to install a backup conventional tank and field.

Sure, in both cases "somebody" should have done their homework... sort of. But anyone who owns property, no matter how long you've held it, can come face to face with an unpleasant surprise. A forgotten right of way, an easement you didn't know about, a spring with an ancient right of use... or a property line which isn't where you've always thought it was.

And in some cases, the guy with the large parcel of glacial silt for example, the surprise can render your asset almost worthless for what you purchased it for and be a financial blow from which you may never recover. People, faced with financial ruin and their lives in shreds, react rather badly sometimes.

And while I sympathize with this woman, certainly over her trees... I'd be livid... I also sympathize for this couple who may never recover from this mistake and have probably been living in a panic stricken misery for some time now.

The real "winners" in this situation are the people who sold the properties and got out from under them, leaving someone else holding the bag. They may not have done it vindictively... the guy who sold the property in northern VT may never have had it perked and may not have a clue what "glacial silt" is. Up until a couple of weeks ago I had no idea there even was such a thing. The person who sold this house in Maine may never have realized their septic wasn't right. But they're out of it with cash to boot.

It's the poor sods left holding the bag and watching their lives evaporate I feel sorry for. Dogs, goats, garden, etc, will still be there when this all sugars off. But these poor sods will be left with nothing. And nobody deserves to go from "I bought my dream house" to being left with absolutely nothing. Nobody.

10. JanO

mpillow I'm happy that she's doing alright, and I'm sure she's going to come out of this OK. She has done nothing wrong and there are a lot of us who are rooting for her.

MorrisonCorner you make a very valid point, as well as some others on here who have been very... shall I say "vocal". But, I think that the problems have not so much been the points made, but the way they've been made. In this case there are so many variables involved, variables that somehow have gotten lost in translation. I'm sure these people didn't set out to become the scum of the earth when they bought that place. But I'm also sure that pyrnad didn't set out to destroy these people from day one either. She just wanted to enjoy her farm, take care of her animals and live her life. Owning 17 dogs, or 70 isn't the issue. (some people on here just can't get over that) She obviously has everything set up right or the law would have shut her down long ago. And being first in line really isn't the issue either, although it does show that she's established and has never been a problem in the community in the past. These "neighbors" are the ones who started this mess. Sure, they made mistakes when they bought that place, but that's not pyrnads fault.

The point I'm trying to make is that if they had a problem with the dogs, her animals, or even her, they could have handled it better and avoided all this. But, they chose to come out fighting by calling the police, calling her at midnight, yelling and cussing her out when she's doing her chores, walking out of public meetings, threatening the surveyor, cut her trees, and whatever numerous other things they've done. Pyrnad has had no other option but to do what ever she can to stop the madness and protect what's hers, and herself. I doubt that any one of us in here wouldn't do the same thing in her shoes.

She shouldn't be bashed just because she is standing up and fighting for what's right.

I also agree that the poor sods are the ones holding the bag in this case, but that's for them to take up with the seller, or whoever they had representing them. It's sad that they are probably ruined, but again, it's not pyrnads fault and she shouldn't be bashed for their bad choices.

11. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

The point I'm trying to make is that if they had a problem with the dogs, her animals, or even her, they could have handled it better and avoided all this. But, they chose to come out fighting by calling the police, calling her at midnight, yelling and cussing her out when she's doing her chores, walking out of public meetings, threatening the surveyor, cut her trees, and whatever numerous other things they've done. Pyrnad has had no other option but to do what ever she can to stop the madness and protect what's hers, and herself. I doubt that any one of us in here wouldn't do the same thing in her shoes.

She shouldn't be bashed just because she is standing up and fighting for what's right.

Very well said, JanO.

12. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

The was no cyberstalking, I searched the web starting with her ID, found out she rescued a bunch of animals to her farm last year. Pyrnad insisted on calling me names and making fun of ME everytime i said i was done with this thread.

13. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

"She shouldn't be bashed just because she is standing up and fighting for what's right."

Disagreeing is not bashing, pyrnad and her supporters were the ones bashing anyone who disagreed because she is "only doing what right".

14. tsdave

tsdave Grand Marshal

"I also agree that the poor sods are the ones holding the bag in this case, but that's for them to take up with the seller, "

ANd until a few of us stood up and said "what about the neighbors" prevelent opinion on this topic was "bad neighbors get whats due" and everyone chanting how evil they were they deserve what they are getting.

15. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

This statement isnt true. Theres nothing obvious about it.
    First Im not speaking of pyrnd here I am speaking generally.
    There are LOTS of cases where someone is doing somthing illeagle for ages and the law dosent shut them down.There can be lots of reasons from simple inertia to local politics and family connections

16. JanO

That's very true, but your forgetting one thing. The first time the police came out it was because the neighbors complained about the dogs. The police checked out her set up and found nothing wrong. I'm not going to get into statistics or generalities here... I'm just talking about this particular situation.

17. Calico Katie

Calico Katie Well-Known Member Supporter

It appears to me that those who have decided to attack Pyrnad, for whatever reason, would most likely fight just as hard as she is if they were put in the same position.

It began with one person who wanted to play Devil’s Advocate, perhaps out of boredom or perhaps for some other personal reason unknown to us, and cast doubt on the validity of Pyrnad’s story. Pick, pick, picking away as though privy to information the rest of us were not. There are always those who will fall in line with the negative and so it began until a cyber war started and those who were interested in what was happening could not continue any thread without it being taken over by somebody with a grudge.

Few of us are personally acquainted with others on this forum. Why should any one of us believe anything that anybody posts? You either accept someone’s word or you don’t. How many on this board are drunks, rapists, murderers, or thieves? How many beat their spouses, their children and their animals? How many cheat on their taxes and lie to their families and neighbors? Who knows? We’re all going to present ourselves as being pretty doggone nice folks. Why would I waste my time trying to track down a stranger just so I can say, “Ah, ha! I knew you were an imposter!”

I’d just like to know if it is possible for Pyrnad to post about what’s happening without the thread being taken over. Perhaps those who have decided to ride this horse to death, repeating over and over and over and over their objections, could start their own thread about what they consider to be the rights of a landowner/homesteader/farmer. Then perhaps those of us who are interested in how this incident comes to a resolution will be able to read Pyrnad’s postings without the fear of having every single thread closed.

Taking over someone else’s thread so that those who are interested can not discuss the original subject is not freedom of speech. It is, in fact, a good example of tyranny.

18. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

They put themselves in this position, not pyrnad. They are the ones that cut the trees and are in danger of loosing their home and land. IF they and left the trees alone everything else might have been able to be resolved.

19. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

It might be an interesting aside for some of you to know that pyrnad has worked as a vet tech for several years....she is quite capable of taking "good" care of her animals....not to mention her husband and daughter....and still helping the likes of "me" on the side....

Animal control officer also has been to her farm a few times over the neighbors dog :shrug: She's done rescue work as well. She has done animal therapy for mentally disabled children....she is an asset to her community not an grits of a neighbor :nono:

20. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm asking that you all drop it. If you want to hear about Pyrnad, ask her in a PM. I'm tired of the bickering about it, and will continue to disappear any topic that gets out of hand.