What happened to my hive?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Qvrfullmidwife, May 12, 2005.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

History--

We are in Texas.

I was helping a retired man from our church with his hive. I do not know much, but am trying to learn. When he moved he gave me the hive. We moved it to our place in late September.

I checked it 2 or 3 times between Oct and Nov, to make sure that they had food, etc. About 2 weeks after I got them I noticed them collecting pollen, ALOT, so I put a super on. Then we had a cold snap, so I took it off as I realized that there wasnt honey in there and I knew that that much empty space was not good for them. I noticed that they looked like they might have mites, so I put the medicine strip in as the directions instructed. I checked them a few times for the remainder of the winter. Everything looked fine. They had food, they looked like they were working...I figured I had a great hive going. :no: We put the super on about the first of April. They seemed to be fine at this time, they had food, everytime you looked at the hive (it is visible from our deck) you cold see them coming and going, all looked fine.

Went out today, to check on them. Found 4 or 5 dead bees at the entrance of the hive and NOTHING else. No bees. No honey. Nothing. Nada.

Does this sound like they swarmed?

How do I prevent this from happening again? Where do I go from here?

HELP!

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

No, if they swarmed they would have left half the hive behind to raise the brood. They absconded, and I don't know why.

Did they leave behind any brood? HAve you seen any brood this spring? Did you ever remove the mite strip?

It is POSSIBLE that they lost their queen, failed to raise another, and drifted off, but I am guessing.

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Check for hive beetles --if you have these in your area? Sounds like they did not have a queen and did not make one... The last time you went in to the hive did you see eggs, brood, larva or just lots of bees? Have you checked around the out side of the hive to see if there are lots of bees dead in the grass??? Wish I could help more.. Good luck and let us know what you find.. Debbie