What happened to Home Depot???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Nik, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I know it's been a little while since I've done any real shopping there, but man has it gone down hill. Last week, after asking here about which push mowers were the best, I stopped in there to look at their Hondas. I talked to an employee who showed me some that were on the DC list. One had a price of 449 where the other two ones that were identical were 499. He told me I could have it for that price, but since they were DC's they would probably come down in price pretty quick. So I stopped in today to check but that employee wasn't around so I had them call for a manager and I explained to her what the guy had said and asked if they had indeeed gone down some more. She told me that no, they were 499 and that she wouldn't even honor the 449 price because she didn't have any proof. Not I'm sorry, I'll see what I can do, but this is the price and that's it. I told her that was fine that I would just spend half a grand some where else then. Do these companies realize that by treating customers like that they are going to be losing not only that immediate purchase, but my purchases down the road?? Oh well, when they are sitting around wondering why their sales are down and no one shops there, I'll know why.

Nik
    P.S., I went to ebay and bought the same mower for less then what they had, so I guess it all worked out in the end.

2. Big Sky Country

Big Sky Country Well-Known Member

I like Lowes better. Every time I had a question it was answered by them. Not only that, but we had a water leak in our temp portable shower. The department manager got up in the ladder, took the water faucet off the model and GAVE it to us.

Lowes has really helped us in the past. Though their hardware department is lacking some brain cells.

3. Nik

Nik Well-Known Member

I hope we get a Lowes soon if they are that much better. I remember when HD was actually a cool place to shop, with helpfull employees and a desire to do stuff the right way. Not anymore.

Nik

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I've always found Lowe's to be more user-friendly.

5. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

We would rather shop Lowes too. We saw one of those garden wagons the kind that the sides have hinges and go down. Anyways they were on sale for $69.95 I been lookin at that price was cheap!! So we go there and they had like 5 or 6 lines up ready to go and on the handle was the $69.95 price sticker. We went to pay for it and the gal says $102.00 please. DH said nooooooo......the price is $69.95. Well she goes to explain there is a fee for having it put together DH said noooooo.....I didnt ask for it to be put together there is a bunch of them like this she starts argueing with DH (oh noooooooo LOL) Well after the manager could not convince him that it was 102.00 she finally got tired of argueing and all the customers that had gathered around to watch the 'fight' she knew she would loose big time on a few sales. And possibly get a lot of complaints from customers she let us have it at $69.95 yahoo!!! I love my garden wagon even more the lil guy won!!!

6. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

One of the best things about Lowes is the ability to get assistance. They have several "call" buttons in each isle that pages overhead for the employee for the isle. If the light hasn't been reset after 2 pages it pages a tone overhead and the manager for that area shows up. Whole process takes under 2 minutes and you don't have to go anywhere, just stand by the call button and wait.

7. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Lowes -- they screwed up my bank card -- manager cut the bill in half since it was his mistake -- some of the best service around!

8. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

It is my experience to find that Menards is far superior to Home Depot as far as customer service.
    It's as if the workers at Home Depot have only one thing at a time on their mind...and its NEVER the customer.

(Haven't been to a Lowe's.)

9. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We got a new Lowe's & HD at about the same time. We had been driving 60 miles to shop at Lowe's, so we decided to try HD & see how we liked it. DH said he thought it was awfully trashy to be a brand new store. It was dirty, the people were rude, & the prices were a little high. I vote for Lowe's, too.

10. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

The quality of a given chain store depends on the management. I am certain there are some unfriendly Lowe's and friendly Home Depots. It all depends on the staff and supervision, as well as what is tolerated there.

Meanwhile, I shop at Lowe's cause that is what we have. The 84 Lumber is overpriced and doesn't stock much at all. We are getting a Home Depot soon about 20 miles away. We'll see.

11. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

I stopped at my local HD to price some cabinets for a mud room...even though
    it was about 10:00 AM I was told they couldn't help me today, but could I
    come back tomorrow (it's 140mi roundtrip) None of the display cabinets had
    any useful pricing info posted .

Needless to say HD lost about a $3,000 sale, along with any future cabinet business. It really seems short sighted to spend a small fortune on kitchen displays and then not have people who can sell them.....

HD needs to check out what happened to Builders Square.......most of
    their stores look like the BS ones did just before they folded

12. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

DH and I prefer Lowes too. The only one near us so far is about 30 miles away,we happily travel that distance to go there. There are several HD between here and there and everytime we try one we are disappointed.

When DH and I went to buy are washer and dryer, we first looked at HD. The whole department was filthy and unattanded. I went to read the label on one machine and got all dirty.

DH and I headed up to Lowes and found a large, clean large appliance department with a pleasant, friendly and knowledgable staff. The fellow that sold us the machines was a former HD employee and said he left because of the overall disrepair and uncleaness of the stores. We bought the machines on two separate occasions and they where delivered and professionally installed on time.

13. lilrose

lilrose Member

I think Lowes is far and away the better store. Their staff are knowledgeble and helpful. Sadly, since moving to Northern Calif, the closest Lowes is hours away. The Home Depot here is so bad I just don't go there anymore if I can help it. Last spring, I went there to buy some annuals for the garden.....I needed some advise on a certain plant but the people working there were completely and utterly clueless.
    Also, in HD you could wander around for an hour and not find someone to direct you to the right aisle. I think their prices are very high as well......
    I vote for LOWES!

14. Momo

Momo Well-Known Member

The HD near us has been open for less than 2 years. It is amazing at how bad the store has deteriorated.

We usually go to Lowes which is further away but we have had problems with them. We ordered our kitchen cabinets from them and it took 6 months for all the ordered pieces to arrive correctly. All the problems stemmed from the guy at the computer who overrode alot of things when ordering the cabinets. This causes the measurements on the following cabinets to be messed up. It was quite frustrating. DH got to the point where he would go in the back (the employees only area) to find the last few pieces of our order.

15. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

The last time I went into a Home Depot, I was assisted by an exceptionally helpful employee who helped me figure out how to handle a bathroom tile problem.

But I'll agree with y'all - that is unusual for my experiences with Home Depot.

16. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Here in marion we have a Lowe's and an HD right next door to each other about a half mile from my house. The lowe's parking lot is always busy, the HD parking lot always has plenty of places to park. That about says it all.

Duke

17. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

One day I had a manager at Home Depot refuse to give me a refund on an item. I had my receipt and it was about 2 weeks after the sale.
    First they said it was because I waited too long - I should have returned the (broken) item the next day. When I explained I lived FAR away and that their posted policy right over our heads said you have 90 days - he still refused - just walked away.

Next day I went to Home Depot website and tried to send a complaint in that way.
    I spent all that time typing it in and lo and behold - i got an error message.
    Did not go through. Message was gone, of course.

18. edjewcollins

edjewcollins Well-Known Member

I worked at HD for 1.5 years about 7 years ago. at the time, it was still run by the founders berni and arthur. They left about 6 years ago exactly the time it started to suck. The new manangement came in and fired all the people that new their grits from a hole in the ground and hired 18 yo kids who don't know the working end of a hammer. Kind of reminds you of wally world don't it?

Ed

19. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

In Winchester there is a Lowes and a HD 10 feet away from each other. The Lowes store is twice the size of HD and their parking lot is almost allways full. Like Duke said, the HD lot is usually empty. There is an advantage to the HD being the less frequented of the two stores, and that is if Lowes is out of something, HD may still have it in stock. I have had better luck with customer service at Lowes than at HD.

20. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

In the Memphis area, right off Hwy 64 by the Wolfchase Mall, there is both a Lowe's and a Home Depot within a half mile of each other.

The Lowe's store might be a bit cleaner than the Home Depot store, but when either I or my husband go in that Lowe's, the staff is, well -- they are useless. We've never been able to get help there.

The Home Depot, on the other hand, seems to be full of knowledgeable, courteous people.

Probably the best one is the department head of the electrical department, a guy by the name of Sam.

I swear, there isn't an electrical question he cannot answer. And he can answer questions about hardware or plumbing better than the staff in those departments. I don't think there is a piece of merchandize that he doesn't know where it's located at.

I drive a long ways in order to shop at a Home Depot. If that Home Depot at Wolfchase ever looses Sam over in electrical, I'll just go to the closest store to my house.

But I drive over an hour, to make sure I go in that store during Sam's hours.