What Hand???

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by james dilley, Jan 18, 2007.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

O K Who here is left haned and who is right handed.?? And who is Amidextruos?? I Am predominitly Left Handed. But can also use my right hand just as well . So who else?? And how many other family members. Other than my Nephew I Am the only one left handed. A friends family is 5 kids both Parents are right handed as well as 4 of the kids One is left handed.

2. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I'm right handed but learned to eat with my left hand so I could do crossword puzzles at lunch time while I was eating. Years ago I learned to write left handed in case the occasion ever arose that my right hand would be injured. I wanted to be prepared, just in case.

As a maintenance person I had to learn to do some things left handed. There are times some jobs won't let you work right handed and there isn't always a lefty there to help. To me it's an important part of life that's necessary to be able to work with either hand.

Edited to add: None in my family are left handed.

3. lsulenes

lsulenes Well-Known Member

I have 3 kids and my middle one is a lefty. We have known since he began clapping his hands together as a little bitty kiddo because he is so left-hand dominant. He is also a very talented athlete and uses both hands regularly. He plays the drums and due to everyone else being right-handed, he has to play the drums the way they are set up and does really well. No one else on either side of the family is left-handed. He is our adorable "odd-ball" :angel:

My dad and 3 brothers played baseball and slowpitch softball and all are switch hitters. One brother still plays fast pitch softball and he is hard on pitchers. He is good which ever side he comes up on. But that is about all we have in the way of ambidextrous folks.

4. Brian        N.E Ohio

Brian N.E Ohio Well-Known Member

I'm right handed and my wife is right handed. My father is ambidextrous, he cant use either hand. :shrug:

5. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

My wife and I are both right handed. There are a few lefties in her family. Our son is completely ambidextrous thus far. Pretty interesting to watch him actually. I've been trying to figure out why he chooses which hand to use but I honestly don't think he even considers it. Just whichever is easiest at the moment.

6. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

My husband and I are right handed, but my son is left handed like my dad. I love the way lefties think! I swear it's a completely different process than righties. My dad and son are both really smart, and analyse things in the most unusual ways.

7. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I am amidextruos. It depends on what I am doing. I write left handed almost 100%, eat with either hand depending on who I sit next to, and almost everything else I do right handed.

In my husbands family all the blue eyes are lefties and the brown eyes are righties. Go figure....

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

My son is ambidextrous, but tends to be a little left-dominant (writing, for instance). DH (not blood-related to DS) is ambidextrous;he writes mostly with his right hand, but shoots lefty.

The only thing I do well with my left hand is shave my legs. :) But I can often wrench lefty when I'm working on the Jeeps, and I hang laundry with both hands. :rolleyes:

Lots of leftys on my side of the family; don't know of any on DH's side, and none of them are ambis, either.

Pony!

9. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Completely left dominant here, Don is right dominant. Many lefties in my family, most of us started out our careers as bankers. Wonder what that's all about???

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

ambidextrous, though my left was my dominant till i injured it! now use my right for fine point work (was always my trigger finger) and writing (if you call the henscratch writing!)

11. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I'm right-handed. I can, however, legibly write with my left hand while also writing backward with my right hand. I can also draw two different (simple) shapes at the same time, say, a circle with one hand and a triangle with the other.

Hand me a pencil and ask me to simply write something left-handed, though, and I can't. :shrug:

/VM

12. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

My bio dad is left handed, bio mom was right handed, and my brother is right handed. Dh is right handed, ds is right handed, and dd is left handed.

I write and pitch right handed but use my left hand for everything else. Lead me to a long conversation with a firearms instructor back years ago after he saw me sign the release with my right hand but started to shoot lefty when we went to the range. He couldn't seem to understand that even though I write with my right hand I shoot lefty and my left eye really is my master eye lol. With anything other than a handgun I could be near dangerous trying to shoot at something right handed lol.

13. Anniebek

Anniebek Well-Known Member

DH family: Left Handed- Father in Law, both brother in laws, one sister in law, unsure about the neices and nephews. Right handed- mother in law, one sister in law.

My Family: Left handed- Mother, one sister, one niece, one nephew. Right handed- Father, one sister, one niece.

Immediate family: Lefties- my Husband, myself, our son. Right handed- our daughter.

Anniebek

14. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

Two of my brothers are left handed. I am right handed as are hubby and DD. DS is a lefty...he can only write left handed but seems to do other things pretty well with his right hand...like batting and hitting a golf club.

donna

15. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

Me, my husband and son are right handed. My daughter is left handed and my brother is left handed. It is really funny watching the lefties write :)

16. HeavenHelpMe

HeavenHelpMe Well-Known Member

I was born left-handed, but my parents trained me to use my right only because they felt it would be better for me. Now I can barely use my left hand at all. I suppose I should nurture my left hand for awhile. Like some said, you never know when you'll lose a limb, and then where will you be?

Husband was born and bred right-handed.

Our son is rather ambidextrous. You never know what he's going to use for any task. He just picks something up and starts using it, no matter what hand it is.

17. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I am a leftie - husband rightie - daughter leftie - son rightie .
    I write , eat , crochet , knit leftie . Scissors I use rightie . Most tasks like washing dishes and cooking is done left to right direction .
    My right hand is the worker hand . When I am doing some thing both hands are doing something .
    I also think left handed - very abstract thought .

18. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I write and feed myself with my left hand. I crochet right handed and do just about everything else with either hand.

Early in life I taught myself to use my right hand a lot so as to use that part of my brain.

19. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Before our first day of school, my mother told my twin and I that the teacher was going to be like Mommy while we were under her care, so we had to listen to her, and mind what she said to do. So, when the teacher decided that wacky me on my left hand to keep me from using it, because I would have problems thoughtout my life if I was "allowed" to be left-handed, I was afraid that my mother would also be upset with me for not minding the teacher. I was attempting to hide my hand at dinner that night when my mother asked me what had happened on to my hand. When I tearfully told her, I just knew I was in big trouble, I was soooo relieved when she put me in the car and drove over to that teacher's house and told her if she ever harmed me again my mother would personally break both her arms. I'd never ever seen my mother act like that before or since but I sure was happy to be her daughter that day :)

My parents were both right handed. Of their four children my older brother and I are left-handed, and my twin and younger brother are right handed.

Hugs
    marlene

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I was the only lefty in my family until my children were born. They are both lefties. My daughter was ambidextrous until about age 7-8 when she finally began writing with her left hand only. It was amazing to watch her write...she would write half a word with her left hand and the other half with her right hand. You couldn't tell one from the other...the printing was all the same.