What grows in Alabama?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jenn, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Blueberries? Apples? What kind? Cherries? Not really?

Do daffodils or tulips return yearly?

Please tell me what fruits/flowers you can rely on if you live/d there. Thanks, on my way there...

2. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Hurry up...

In North/Central AL, where I live, zone 7, we can grow almost anything. Daffodils, iris, daylillies, Asiatic lillies, all return every year. Tulips will also return every year but we've found that they only bloom well their first year. Maybe we're not doing something correctly. Since we're moving, we've made a pact with each other to not buy anything that is not "practical" until we get the garden and some fruit trees established. We've grown blueberries, strawberries, pears, apples, peaches, native and European plums and even cherries.

3. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

You name it, and you can just about grow it here. My daffodils come back each year. They are starting to bloom this week. My iris' and lillies shouldn't be much longer now before they are blooming as well. Depending on how far south you are wanting to be in Alabama, depends on what your temps are going to be like. We may have had 5 days of below 32 degrees this winter. Most of this winter has been in the mid 60's and 70's for us here along the coast. About once every 3 or 4 years we will get a pretty cold winter.

I have just about every type of fruit tree planted that you can imagine. Apples red and golden delicious, peaches, 5 different types of oranges, satsumas, lemons, limes, plums, apricots, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, figs, sugar cane. I still need to order my kiwi vines. Nut trees do real well. I don't have any, that's because I get all my pecans from my grandmothers orchard. I also get my pears from her.

Where in Alabama are you heading to?

4. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Fort Rucker area. I wish people listed homes for sale by the fruit trees instead if the square feet!

5. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Those are supposed to be more cold hardy than most other citrus fruits. How far North will they grow? Birmingham area? Where can I get some seedlings?

6. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

You should be able to find them at a Lowes in your area. Or maybe one of your local nurseries. If the nurseries don't have them, they should be able to get some in for you. I get mine from a neighbor who grafts and raises them. He has a large orchard that he sells from each year. And I might add that they are some pretty good eating. They are my favorite citrus fruit. I'll eat them until I got satsuma juice running out my ears.

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My uncle in south Alabama has a fabulous blueberry patch and so does my mom in north Alabama. As stated above, you can grow just about anything in Alabama. There are daffodils on my parents' place that have been blooming every spring (they're in full bloom right now) for over 40 years.

Here's a link to help you learn a little about the wonderful place you are moving to:

http://www.donitaworld.com/States/Alabama/links.html