What goes with Oysters

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Joe123, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Joe123

Joe123 Well-Known Member

We don't fix blackeye peas for New Years we fix certain things different and this New Years going to fix oysters.

What would go good with fresh oysters?

They will be baked not fried as found out my DH has to watch what all he eats due to high cholesterol now. Which really never fixed lots of fried foods but it must run it the family.

Need some ideas as oysters will not be around here long. They are only here from Dec-Jan then can't get any others in.

Thanks..

:rolleyes:

2. ErinP

ErinP Too many fat quarters... Supporter

which kind? Lamb or calf?

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My mom used to make a wonderful oyster dressing for the turkey. It was oh so moist!

4. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

i thought you were talking about oysters but when Erin said "lamb or calf? i'm not sure now. if it's the kind of oysters i'm thinking of i was going to say my husband and i always had oyster stew or soup?for New Years. we just used 2 cans in place of the fresh but of course fresh is best.we always looked forward to this.i was thinking of starting it up again this year.~Georgia.

5. Farmerwilly2

Farmerwilly2 Well-Known Member

I always found a six pack and pretzels went well with fresh oysters. If on the shell add a spritz of tabasco or worchestershire and a sprinkle of pepper. If shelled in crock then just slide them out and enjoy.

6. Joe123

Joe123 Well-Known Member

NOT MOUNTAIN OYSTERS THE OCEAN TYPE.

SORRY.. For not being more clearer on that but a phone call came in so had to hurry..

:dance:

7. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Oyster stew is the traditional New Years supper in my family, but we now use it for Christmas dinner instead since there aren't very many of us. A stew fills you up and then a green salad and a dessert and that's it. Everyone says it's a relief not to have to eat another large dinner in the "season of overeating". :)

Jennifer

8. Tim1257

Tim1257 Well-Known Member

here it would be french fries or baked potato, salad or cole slaw.

9. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I had an uncle who died eating mountain oysters.

The bull sat on his face.

10. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I agree with FarmerWilly

For me, the best sauce is fresh sea water... I like them like that with a loaf of fresh french bread and butter to sit on the bread... and a nice red wine to swallow after. (and a course enough knife I don't ruin opening them!)

Pat

11. Joe123

Joe123 Well-Known Member

Jennifer I had thought about oyster stew but not found a really good recipe of yet so thought just bake the oysters since Dh has to watch what to eat now.

12. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

Doesn't hanky panky go good with oysters?? :p

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  13. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

You have to be careful when baking oysters that you dont dry them out and make them tough. Have you thought about steaming them? Then you can use a vinaigrette dipping sauce and have some crusty french bread and a nice salad.

14. Joe123

Joe123 Well-Known Member

Nope sure haven't thought of this. I sure don't wont to dry them out as we can only get oysters here from Dec-Jan. That sure isn't long at all.

Do you have a really good recipe for them?

Thanks...

15. Joe123

Joe123 Well-Known Member

Minelson talking about making me laugh you sure made me do that.. Outloud too.. :p

16. Lyra

Lyra Well-Known Member

On the coast, they usually serve corn on the cob, red potatoes, cole slaw, and sausage as sides.

17. firegirl969

firegirl969 Well-Known Member

Joe123,

DH likes for me to shuck the oysters then roll a piece of bacon around them and bake them in the oven. They don't dry out as the bacon drippings keep them moist and gives them a superb flavor. I do the same with jumbo shrimp. Sometimes I even take a can of crabmeat, mix up a stuffing, and stuff a jumbo shrimp with that and then wrap the bacon around it. This is really to die for! We live near the coast, so shrimp are a frequent meal here.

18. NCLee

NCLee Well-Known Member

When I eat oyster stew the only thing I want is a big bowl, a spoon, a sleeve of saltine crackers, the pepper grinder, and a glass of iced tea. No sides, no dessert.

My Mom's oyster stew.
    1 pint oysters
    3 cans evaporated milk + 2-3 cans of water
    1 stick of butter
    salt & pepper to taste

Slowly heat the milk, melting the butter. When the milk is hot, add slightly warmed oysters. Let simmer until the edges of the oysters begin to ruffle.

The evaporated milk gives a creamy texture (for lack of a better word) than using plain whole milk. IMHO. I've made oyster stew both ways.

Lee

19. MaryE

MaryE Well-Known Member

Saltines and a Pepsi. At least that's what I've always heard from my oyster eating friends and neighbors in eastern NC.

20. Kmac15

Kmac15 This is my life

we like baked potatoes, coleslaw, corn on the cob. With the oysters we serve saltine crackers, cocktail sauce or melted butter and (for the really brave) horseradish sauce.

We steam ours, this can be done in your oven or on the grill. Pop the oyster open and just dip into the sauce of your choice, than pop in your mouth or on the cracker.