Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Hiccoughs after eating
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making cinnamon chicken tonight for supper, but I can't think of anything that would go well with it. I am roasting some apples for dessert. What kind of veggies or other sides would go well with the entree?

Thanks, all! Hope everyone's been doing great!

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
yeah, the strawberry pretzel salad...

I wonder how much wonderful it would be to make it with mango and an appropriate jello instead of strawberry and strawberries?

NOT lime jello... That's reserved for hip waders and an inflatable wading pool...

·
Hiccoughs after eating
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must be missing something. I just looked for a jello thread and didn't see anything. Would someone post a link, please?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm contemplating rice and green beans, but sauteed onions and peppers sounds good, too.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I can't imagine cinnamon going with chicken. Is it good? How do you make it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
albionjessica said:
I must be missing something. I just looked for a jello thread and didn't see anything. Would someone post a link, please?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm contemplating rice and green beans, but sauteed onions and peppers sounds good, too.
On behalf of sancraft and I, I'll trade you the link for the recipe. :D
jello thread

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I would like the recipe. I'm always looking to something new to try. This combination in intriguing me.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
sancraft said:
I would like the recipe. I'm always looking to something new to try. This combination in intriguing me.
My mom adds about 2 tbsp of cinnamon and a half cup or whole cup of orange juice when she cooks her chicken. It's insanely good. She puts the chicken in a glass pan, covers it with foil, and puts it on the grill or in the advantium microwave thingie.

Kat

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Sandy, How about Chicken with Chocolate? .... Have the recipe if you're interested.

The thought of chocolate being served with chicken may sound really wierd, but it sweetens and darkens the sauce, and combined with apricots and prunes, doesn't overwhelm the taste of the chicken.

Shin

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Ok now I need recipes for chicken with chocolate AND the original cinamon chicken.

I used to make a moroccan chicken that had cinnamon in it and it was wonderful.

Recipes please....

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Chicken with Chocolate
(Serves 4)

8 dried apricots
8 pitted prunes
1 1/2 kg (about 3lb.) chicken pieces
seasoned flour
2 tbspns oil
2tbspns butter
3 tbspns plain flour
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
15 grams (1oz.) cooking chocolate

Soak apricots and prunes in cold water for at least 1/2 an hour. Drain.
Wipe chicken with paper towels and dust lightly with seasoned flour. Heat oil and butter in a pan, brown chicken pieces all over, and place in a casserole.
Add flour to pan drippings and cook until brown, stirring constantly.
Add stock gradually; bring to boil, stirring until thickened.
Blend in chocolate and mix well.
Pour over chicken pieces, and arrange apricots and prunes on top.
Cover casserole and bake for 45 minutes.
Serve with rice or ribbon noodles.

Footnote: I always put the flour into a plasic bag, add the meat and shake it around until the meat is lightly covered; a lot easier than dredging the meat through a dish of flour as my dad taught me. (Many years ago - can't remember seing plastic bags back then.)

Shin

·
Registered
264 Posts
Coconut Chicken made with canned coconut milk and soy sauce is my all time favorite but the others sound delicious as well.

Coconut Chicken:
Brown chicken in it's own oil. (I add 1/2 sliced onion at this time too for flavor)
When blood is cooked out, drain. Add 1/2 c. soy sauce and half a can of coconut milk. Simmer at medium low heat. During this time add a variety of vegetables if you prefer. I always slice up carrots, celery, bell pepper, and also like to add cauliflower, brocolli, mushrooms, etc. The choice is yours. Once the vegetables are tender, add other half can of coconut juice. Give it only 5 more minutes and take off of heat. Serve over a bed of rice. Delicious!

*Don't let coconut milk come to a boil.

·
Green Woman
1,957 Posts
Chicken with chocolate = ~chicken mole.

Very Hispanic.

mole = chocolate "sauce"

Grilled cinnamon oj chicken sounds wonderful...

Wonder if turkey breast would do about the same? Or pork loin?

I know one of MY favorites is roasted pork loin that you encrust with a packet (or two) of Chili magic (Chili O, whatever). Would be exquisite on the grill as well...

·
Driftin' Away
745 Posts
I roasted a chicken last night with my own seasoning mix. I place butter under the skin over the breast, and then rub softened butter over it. I then rub in paprika, garlic powder, pepper, and cinnamon. Add a little water into the pan and pop in the oven. Bake for a couple hours, the last bit uncovered so it browns. Excellent flavor.

Oh, and I served my 'cinnamon' chicken with potatoes, gravy, mixed veggies and a salad :).

·
Yuppie Scum
1,432 Posts
Just a word to the wise, if any of you women are pregnant, you should avoid cinnamon altogether, as it's an abortive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts