what gauge for electric fence?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by glenberryfarm, Mar 19, 2005.

1. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi,
    we are fencing in new pasture with 6 strand electric. The guy at TSC said 17 gauge was just fine for sheep and goats. Others say 12.5 and still others say go with aluminum since it won't rust.
    What do you guys suggest?
    Also, on 2 sides this pasture is lined perfectly with mature trees. I really want to use them for posts. Is there a way to do it without harming the trees?
    Thanks
    faye

2. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

glenberryfarm,

My own choice for perimeter fencing was the 12.5 ga high tensile steel (galvanized) wire. I love it when a deer jumps on it and bounces off. Around here they have gotten in the habit of simply crushing down most fences and that just doesn't work well with hot high tensile electric fences. Don't forget to include some ground wires along with hot wires in a six strand hot fence. Best suggestion that came my way was to alternate hot with ground with hot on top and bottom.

Around my orchards I also used the alum wire for a ground and placed a "horse tape" both above and below. Seems to work pretty well. Deer simply jump over it, but my trees are big enough the deer do little damage.

If you have to deal with bears don't forget to lay some bacon pieces over the hot wire to "introduce" them to your farm. Works pretty well at keeping them away.

As far as your trees go, what I did was nail a pressure treated 2 X 4 to the tree and then attach all my wires to the board. Only if left alone for many years will the trees grow around the board. Treated simply for longevity.

bearkiller

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

12.5 gauge
    I do not recommend using the trees. I realize that is the easy and cheaper method but the wiring will not stay a taut and you will damage the trees. If you must use the trees nail a short length of treated wood to the tree then fasten the insulator to the board. In so doing as the tree grows it will force the board out and the tree will not grow onto the insulator. Do not use the trees for the corner posts, just use them for line posts.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Bearkiller, I see we think similarly and posted at about the same time. :)

5. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

What would the 17 gauge be used for? The store is highly recommending it.