Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting some feeder pigs next spring to raise for our own use and sell the extras. I have permanent pasture that I need the hay from, but was wondering what annual forage crop I could use to get a hay crop off of and then pasture it the rest of the summer. The ground is dryland, but we get an average of 18 inches of moisture. We get very little rain after the middle of June. I was thinking of rye or wheat, but am open to any and all suggestions. I live in southeastern WA and the soil is loam it has good yield capacity, wheat yields are 100 to 120 bushels per acres.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

·
Registered
142 Posts
i'm sure you'll get some great suggestions from forum members; but another great person to ask is your county extension agent. you can usually find them in the phone book under county government, or ask your librarian.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A friend of mine planted sorgum sudan grass and I think he put soybeans in with it for his cows. I'm not sure if he used the soy with the hogs. I've heard of people planting peas with corn or sorgum sudan. I'd try turnips, rape, sudan, peas, oats, rye.... give some variety. (Not all of these would work to hay from)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts