What foods to avoid?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by livestockmom, Sep 18, 2006.

1. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I'm new to pigs. Bought 2 feeder pigs and wondering a few things..

Do you feed the sacked pig feed wet or dry?

Are there foods that are toxic or to avoid?

Can you feed produce and such free choice, of space bulk foods out?

How much bread can be fed?

Sorry for so many questions at once.... I appreciate your help!

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

1. If you can keep the feed dry you can pretty much keep it in front of them all the time. If it gets wet, and they don't eat it up pretty quickly, it'll sour.

2. About the only thing to worry about with hogs is salt. Salt intake can't be more than 1% of the total.

3. You can pretty much feed them all the scrap produce that they'll eat. They like it, and it'll cut down on your feed bill.

4. Never really fed bread other than an occasional moldy loaf or fresh table scraps, so I'm not really sure on that. The main thing is you don't to drop your total protein down too low.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

If you have a big enough pasture you might not need to feed them at all. We only get whole grains, usually whole kernal corn and use it as a daily treet to train them to come to the paddock so when I want to catch one I just have to close the gate

4. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Don't know about toxic, but I fed an armload of sunflowers that the goats knocked over to one of the sows a couple days ago, and she's pretty 'loose' since then without an appetite. So I'm not sure, but the sunflowers don't seem to be very good idea...

5. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the tips...
    Sounds like it will be alot of fun to feed them and a great way to deal with surplus food...
    Thanks for the advice about the salt, I had no idea.

6. JennNY

JennNY Mom to 6 great kids!

We feed our feeders feed mixed w/water... we get this really good feed from a place that makes their own, smells so yummy.

We also feed our pigs whatever we have available, as far as scraps. Dh gets scraps from the cafeteria at school and I bring some home from work, at a restaurant. Our pigs love pasta! LOL

We also let our pigs out in the garden, (this time of year) to till it, fertilize it and feed them. Not a bad deal.

Enjoy,
    Jenn

7. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

One thing I always avoid is meat in any form for them, I don't want them getting a taste for it. oh last month before the trip from hog to pork, we add apples to the diet.

8. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

We keep a "hog bucket' in the kitchen. During the day, we will scrap our plates into the bucket, all but any pork products. After dinner, we toss the contents into the pen and they eat most all of it.

I have noticed they will not eat a whole potato. Cut it in half and they will, just not whole for whatever reason.

The idea of apples the last month is great. By then we have picked all we will want, and the rest will now being going to the hogs.

9. DazzleBunny

DazzleBunny Member

Goodness! Well I am a first time hog owner this year too, and I must be spending way too much on feed. We have been giving ours all the pelleted feed she will eat, COB with molasses, rolled corn, and apples/pears/pumpkin,tomato etc.. from the garden. She does get bread sometimes too. Darn pig DID eat a bunch of my baby chicks that wandered into her pen too. A real porker she is....
    She gets butchered on the 10th and I have no clue what she weighs... I have a 4 month old little male pig that hasnt been castrated yet. Too late? If we dont do him, will he not grow as fast as the other?

10. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

I have heard to many green apples can kill a pig, gives them the scours. Don't know if that is true though, just heard it once.

11. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

Giving some apples will not hurt pigs. 1 pound or 1/2 pound aday in the last month gives the meat a real nice taste, I have and do finish my hogs this way. My family has been doing this since the 1860's.