what ever happend too???

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by KSALguy, Apr 13, 2006.

1. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Thatch what happend to your colord bunnys out of your white breeding colony?

2. KSALguy

3. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Well, the colored buns are all doing well. I ended up with 3 broken blacks 1 broken gray, one solid black and one agouti. They all are progressing well and I plan on keeping the better part of them as breeders. They are all growing out well, comperable to any of my others and since I'm not selling stock or meat to processors the color isn't a bad thing for me and in fact I prefer it.

We recently had bad rain storm that washed out the hillside of the colony and let several escape. Sadly this coinsided with the arival of 2 stray rottweilers that found great sport in attacking them, killing one doe and I thought my buck whom I found at the bottom of the hill barely breathing an unable to control his own movements. I knew I should put him down but I like Jack and put off the job because I didn't want to... and leaned on the off chance he'd get better but I knew he wouldn't, thinking he had in fact had his back broken. Well in 2 days he started to look a lot better. He's got his feet back under him, moving around some on his own and seems to be headed for a full mend. Regardless of whether he mends completely or not I have a weekness right now in that I have no secondary buck and his death (or sterility) would kill production for months.

I'll see what I can do about getting some pics of them now that they are much older. I'll be trapping again soon (maybe tommorow if I get all my other work done .. well, most of it, "all" won't ever be done). Was there something in particular you wanted to know about them (now that I've babbled on about them)?

J

4. KSALguy

was just curious as to if they turnd out to be of the same type as NZ's or if they appear to be a throw back to something else?
    sounds like they are of the righ type though,
    are you planning on expanding your colony then? or just getting rid of the older white does?
    that really sucks about the wash out and the dogs, did you loose very many?
    i had a thought about how to get vegitation to grow in your colony, to help hold the dirt togather, take some 2x4s and make a sort of grid out of squairs with these 2x4's and put the rabbit wire from the bottom of cages over the 2x4 frame, then plant a good strong grass or clover or something that has good deep roots and let it grow up through the wire and the rabbits can eat it and it can help hold back errosion. obvioulsy dont put one over the top of a burrow opening but i think it might work,