What Else Will Go Wrong???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by silentcrow, Dec 31, 2005.

1. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

Lovely. Just went down to check the fire and noticed my furnace is leaking water! :grump: How do I fix that? It's a small furnace (boiler) that heats water and circulates it through the pipes. I'm guessing it's a pipe inside that is leaking, since the water is coming from the furnace.

How do I repair the leak once I find it? I don't have the money to call in a repair person, and need it, with the wood stove, to help heat the house. I know there would be soldering involved, and my dad used to do that kind of thing, but I don't know how. Got the tools, just not the know-how :shrug:

Any advice???

2. shellbug

shellbug Well-Known Member

J.B. Weld?????

or barter something with a repairman

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I wonder if a rad leak stop for engine radiators would work, something like Barrs leak stop.........

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We used a car radiator stop leak on our big outdoor wood boiler and it worked find. We had been negligent in using the rust inhibitor in our water and learned our lesson. No more problems since we put it in and we were loosing about 25 gals. water a week. DEE

5. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

You REALLY never, never, NEVER wanna ask that...'cause sure as shootin', you're gonna find out!

Keep us posted!

Mon

6. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

If a "stop-leak" for car radiators will work, how do I put it in??? Will it get in my other pipes? The pipes for the heat are tied into the main plumbing, so that the pipes never totally "empty". I'm assuming the water goes in through a "one-way" access?? Will it do anything to the pump? Does the pump need to be running? Sorry for all the questions. I'll try to get a few pics of the set-up.