What does this behavior mean?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by astrocow, May 29, 2005.

1. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

I've had my goats for a week and a half. One doe is a year old the other is 3 years old and has a kid. I also have a buck. About 3 days ago the does starting doing this. Each time I approached a doe she would urinate. I walk them to new grazing areas and milk one at the end of each day. The one I milk started doing this first. i've looked up material on goat behavior but have found nothing about this. They are obviously doing it because of me.
    Why?
    Leigh

2. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

All of my goats urinate (and produce goat berries) as soon as they get up after laying around for a while. So when they have been laying around waiting for us to show up, it happens when they come to greet us. But when we have to go track them down in the field, it doesn't. Could this be the case with you?

Nancy

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We have 8 goats, and it is very common for them to "team urinate" as a group under certain situation.

First thing in the morning they'll pee and drop nannyberries as a group before headion out from their night pasture to go forage on the main property.

During the day, they'll team urinate and drop raisinettes when they are preparing to move into an area where they need to be alert for potential predator risk. We'll see them do this when leaving the woods and moving into a clearing, when moving from a favorite sunning and cudding spot to less frequently accessed feeding areas, and at one particular turn on one path where they must think they are transitioning into a risk situtation even though we haven't been able to figure out quite what they're thinking there.

We interpret the behavior as prey animals preparing themselves for the possible need to make a fast getaway if there is a predator nearby. The team pee locations are the same locations where senior does will thunk a kid soundly if they venture ahead without pausing to assess potential risk.

My guess is that your doe isn't threatened by you approaching, but still thinks it's good policy to go into a change in situation prepared to run without a full badder or bowels.

Lynda

4. astrocow

astrocow Well-Known Member

I tether each one (they are watched closely) and I guess they have learned that when I approach that means they will be moving to a new area shortly. that's interesting about their "team work".
    Thanks.
    Leigh

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

We have a Boer doe with huge long horns who gives the BEST massages with her head. She rubs her head and horns up and down the backs of your legs, but she ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL has to urinate first. That's your sign you are fixing to get a nice massage. LOL
    :)