What does the type of animals you keep say about you?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dreams30, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Dreams30

Dreams30 Lady Rider

I've been noticing and wondering...what is it about certain animals that make you want to keep that type of animal?

I know that there are "cat people" and "dog people". What about "chicken people", "pig people", "cattle people", "rabbit people", "goat people", etc?

I suspect that it is sometimes based on the type of animals a person grew up with. Are there certain animals you won't try to work with and for what reason?

2. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I dunno what my chickens and ducks say about me. Probably that I have an issue with saying, "No," as I tend to keep bringing more home.

Horses say that I can be dependable sometimes, and if you're not paying attention I could go nuts.

My dogs say that I need psychological counseling. No really, they told me that. It seems they are concerned about me speaking to them in 'baby talk'. They want to be treated as the adult dogs that they are.

My ferrets say that I can be cute and sweet, but I will bite. :D

Horses, dogs, and cats have always been a part of my life. We also had rabbits, cattle, and OEGB growing up.

I don't like fish, unless they're on my plate. House cats and froo froo dogs annoy me.

I suppose a lot of my feelings toward certain animals are due to my Grandpa and just growing up around them. Some of it seems to just have been programed into my personality from birth. I think horse was in my vocab before Momma.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

having grown up around "dog people" i tend to stay well awayfrom them!!! having said that we have had a noahs ark of various animals over the years .the list of animals i get along with is much longer than those i don't. lizards and snakes top the list of don't get alongs. dogs cows sheep horses chickens cats and rabbits are at the top.long before "wisperers "appeared we got along with some hard to get along with animals ,still do to some extent though aches and pains limit some of that work. a lot of times if you raise a certain type of animal then you stick with people that raise your breed and look down apon lowly ------------- fill in the blank people. we grew up raising dogs but have good raport with any one but dog breeders! takes time but eventually you figure out that once you get a animal figured out they can still throw you a curve ball!!

4. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    What kind of critters do I keep the most of? Hmmmmm...........5 Kids!
    Not sure what is says about me. Maybe that I have patience, maybe it says I am crazy though :eek:

I also have dogs and chickens, but I don't find the same joy in them as I do a house full of boisterous kids.

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I was raised around both cats and dogs, and both have their merrits. Right now, I have a cat, mainly because she can take care of herself while I am at work or on vacation. If I had a dog, I wouldn't be able to leave her alone for more than a few hours. The pack mentality is hardwired into a dog's genes, and no amount of training or breeding can eliminate it. Mischief keeps my bed warm at night, reminds the mice, bugs, and spiders who is boss, and protects the house from rampaging dust-bunnies. All kidding asside, she does have me well trained ;). If I worked out of the house, I would probably have more beasts, but as it is, cats are more my speed right now.

6. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

We always had a dog and at least one cat when I was growing up. My dad and grandpa usually had some work horses around, and a few cattle, except when they had the diary and they had a lot of cattle! They had a pig for a while, and put me off pigs for life when my dad told us kids to stay out of her pen (she had babies) because she'd eat us. (Which she probably would have.) Then later when we were back in Oregon we lived in the middle of cattle farm/ranches, with horses around. So how did I end up with dairy goats?!? I don't remember even seeing goats when I was growing up, never knew anyone who had them. But the first place we had where we could keep livestock, we only had room for goats, and I found out I really like them. They are my size. I still like cows and horses, but goats fit me. I still have a dog, and I suppose there'll always be a cat or two around the place, but if I could only have one type of animal, it would be goats. I have poultry, but mostly for their practical value, not so much because I really like them or anything.

Kathleen

7. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I grew up with horses, chickens, dogs, cats, and hermit crabs. We always had a couple of bummer lambs from spring to fall, they were always darned tasty. Sometimes we would have a pig - they actually were lots of fun. Dad experimented with geese and fallow deer briefly.

Now on my own place I have goats, sheep, dogs, cats, some ducklings peeping away in the bathroom and chickens on order. I've decided that horses are just too expensive for my blood when I can cross our boundary stream and borrow one of the neighbor's horses for a ride. I also have to admit that I like the "interesting" trouble that goats get into - it's maddening and funny at the same time.

8. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been an "animal people" since birth. I love them all. When I was a kid we had dogs, cats, chickens (they were my chickens!), turkeys, ducks, geese, peacocks, cattle, a mule, pigs, goats, rabbits, crows and possums. We were always rescuing animals. As kids, our rescued snakes, frogs, etc. have escaped in the house. And my Dad was the one who rescued the crows (Mr. and Mrs. Black...they would come to him when he called) and possum (he found it still clinging to its dead mother in the road...when it got bigger it chewed a hole in the cage wire and escaped).

My kids have had snakes (once again escapees in the house), saltwater crabs, lizards, an aquarium full of praying mantises (they hatched out on our Christmas tree), rabbits, guinea pigs, parakeets, dogs, cats and hamsters.

What does it say about me? Most people think it says I'm nuts. That's fine with me...I'd rather be in the company of animals than the company of most people! Right now we have five horses, five dogs, five cats and a chicken. I have big plans to add a lot more animals. For the first time in my life I have the room and the resources to care for a lot of animals.

If that makes me crazy, so be it. I'm more than happy to be a little off kilter! And I'm very lucky to have a husband who is off kilter too.

9. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

10. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Guess I'm a rabbit person at heart. They "speak" to me like no other animal, and I speak fluent Rabbit. They're the only critters on our place that are true pets and don't do anything to earn their keep. The pleasure I have in their company is more than enough.

I do also love our goats, though, and am very fond of the ducks and turkeys as well (the geese, well, we just sort of tolerate each other). Does anyone on earth not like goats?

I'm personally not a dog person because I don't like the way they automatically suck up to people. A lot of people like exactly that about them and don't like any animals that don't behave that way - hey, to each his own!

11. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

We have 4 dogs, 7 cats, upteen chickens, and 4 horses. If all 3 mares settle I'll have 7 horses next spring. I'm a horse person, I always have been and always will be.

I grew up with animals and can't imagine living without them.

Stacy

12. DwnByTheCreek

DwnByTheCreek Mom of 2 boys(5 & 3)

I have horses, dogs, cats, chickens... I have had cats since forever, had cats as a child.. always wanted horses, but did not have the opertunity until the last few years, never had dogs until I met my husband.. now I have my first puppy who is my "baby" ... I am a leo and absolutily love the independant cat, and recently I found out that my chinese zodiac , I was born in the year of the horse.. I find working with animals to be second nature.. my chickens I have for eggs and meat, and some really good entertainment.. the only animal that comes to mind that I really do not like would be "ankle biters" those little yippy dogs just frive me crazy, give me a big ol' dog with a nice low deep "woof" and that is great!!

JoAnn
    :)

13. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I have banties because I love chickens and they are cute and don't take up as much space. But I have so many that that point sort of has become moot, lol.

I love rabbits and ducks, will be getting some as soon as I get some more secure areas built. I REALLY love goats, am very very tempted to get a mini Nubian, or Nigerian, but have to be sure that I will have time to milk first. I have no idea what all of this says about me as a person, though? I do NOT like cats. But I love dogs and would have one if I were home more hours a day.

I think my spirit animal might be a coyote.

hollym

14. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had just about type of domestic livestock except, Donkeys, And swans I still would like to get some peafowl later.

15. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

I currently have 4 box turtles 2 inside birds 2 ducks 2 dogs 1 cat and fish, I've had small rodents and small mammals, and several different species of herps.

Since we are drawn to that which resonates with us, what animal, bird, or insect are you drawn to?

well I'm drawn to all animals..

When you go to the park, forest, or zoo what animal are you most interested in seeing?

huh, well chelonians and large mammals I suppose.

What animal do you most frequently see when you're out in nature or in the city?

chelonians, probly because they're out basking, and humans.

What animals are you currently interested in learning about?

most all of em,

Which animal do you find most frightening or intriguing?

I'm not frightened by any animals unless they come out of no where then vanish it's like the sasquatch sort of deal and I find all critters intriguing

Have you ever been bitten or attacked by an animal?

been bitten by numerous animals

Is there a recurring animal in your dreams or do you have one you have never forgotten?

no.

so what're/is my animal totem(s)?

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Interesting questions.

As a kid I had a fondness to learn about animals and nature, even microscopic animals that I collected in creeks like planarias, rotiferras and paramecium? :haha:
    But beyond the molecular level, when I was young I kept pigeons, rabbits and had always a companion pet dog, and the odd cat. I preferenced as a dog person probably because of the quintesential idea of their association with humans and 'man's best friend' concept. I still believe that and love my companion or protection/work dogs.

Other animals I had as pets were guinea pigs, hamsters, doves, finches, parakeets, love birds, chinchilla, and I even consider many of the birds that come to the feeders in the wild as my 'pets' which include humming birds and the several tame generations of evening grosbeaks and killdear that come to nest every year here.
    In the wilderness, I also love the animals in their environment and behavior. Obviously, the ones I've seen are too numerous to mention, except some that stand out are either social animals like wolf packs and the solitary ones that hang out like moose. It's a real joy to come upon a small group of fox kits like I did last year at the side of a logging road while bike riding. Things like that make me an 'animal' person, I guess. I love the symbolism of polar bears and things like dolphins, though they are not in my natural world of immediate experience.
    I would love to have a pet caribou, bobcat, or muskie...though I know it's not practical, so they look fine where they are in their world, and I would like to know they remain to indicate our ecology is intact that has room for us all.

I have also had aquarium fish including baby aligator gar, spotted sunfish, and pearl dace.....to ghost catfish and many of the store bought ones. I have a 'pet' river shiner in my pond that I trapped as a fingerling and is now nearly 2 lb, as is the white suckers in there. I have netted them out before to harvest other baitfish, but always return my 'pets'.
    I'm not a terribly fond person about house cats, but I love my terriers. Together they are not compatible, though the barn cat serves it's place and I don't mind them, especially if they are doing their jobs of mousing.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate myself a dog person of 9 and the rest of the animal kingdom somewhere in between. Most days I rate humans as 1 in their dominance about animals, but I know that the intent by the creator was for a 10 rating, which we don't deserve.

17. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Before a second marriage and after the children were grown & away on their own, I had (and still have) an african grey parrot to talk with, a dog for unconditional love and to guard me, and a horse to explore on. What gentle times they were. I still have those animals, along with many more, but there seems to be a special bond with them.

18. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

we never had animals growing up dd was in the military and we moved alot, maybe i'am rebelling now, we have 1 cat, 2 dogs, a cockateil, fish inside and out, 10 chickens and 2 pigs and goats are coming next.

19. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

im a goat person , i can take or leave most of my other animals even my horses , but that might just be because of where i amin life now, right now if the animal doesnt turn a profit or at least pay its way, its existince on the farm is dubious at best ...
    , but i love my goats, when there was about 2 years when i didnt have them , i missed them , in fact my hubby would tease me cause every time i saw a goat it would be like ohhh, i want a goat so bad ..(((even the darn ricola cough drops commercials with the pretty saanen.))) now i have a small herd of 10 , and i love my goaties i like my rabbits, i respect and enjoy the eggs from my chickens, the pigs im completely neutral about, i would be fine if i could just toss them in a pasture and see them 6 months later at butchering time, course thatsn ot possible ...
    i enjoy , of all my animals the pregnant mommies most of all, when a mommy whelps kindles or farrows, thats when i love them the most, sad but true ...maybe more now cause i m pregnant too.....

20. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Right now we have goats, chickens, geese, muscovies, rabbits, barn cats, one lizard, three snakes, and one macaw. I grew up with goats, chickens, ducks, geese, milk and meat cows, pigs, rabbits, dogs, cats, parakeets, lizards and snakes. I kinda feel like I've cut down! (but i'm still ordering turkey poults from rabbitgal!)

Seriously, I won't raise a pig, because we don't eat enough parts of one to make it worthwhile. I'll raise a calf off goats milk next year. I wouldn't mind finding homes for all the non-food animals here, and just have food animals, although it would be hard to give up my bird, and the snakes are good for eating culled poultry and rabbits, so nothing is wasted. I guess that leaves the lizard. Anyone want a Tokay?

Meg