What does it mean when a dairy cow is "burned out"?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Terri, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have heard many times that dairy cows "burn out" in just a few years.

This means?????

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Generally it means they simply cant produce much anymore, due to them being pushed for a lot of milk. Many that burn out end up with F&L problems. Generally an animal that doesn't burn out, is shipped because her udders ligaments have become weak, and the udder starts sagging. But you generally will see burned out animals at a dairy that uses BST heavily, and pushes their animals to produce unnatural amounts of milk. The F&L problems generally are swollen hocks, from the BST.

Jeff

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

How does BST make for foot and leg problems, and would a long rest set things right?

I am not set up for cattle, but if I were, the idea of buying a potentially good cow at beef prices would be very tempting!

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I forget why it makes the legs swell, but it does make their hocks swell up. Someone told me the other day why it does, but I forget why, sorry about that.

Jeff

5. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I've heard stories from my relief milker and my neighbor dairy (non BST) about BST cows spontaneously breaking legs and pelvises from osteoporosis. The BST makes the cows produce past their ability and they can't replenish their calcium.
    Also heard BST is why heifers are so expensive. The big dairies that use BST can't raise enough replacements to replace cull cows.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I would be a little leary of buying a burned out BST dairy cow as I have a friend whos daughter tried the BST for two years....when she decided to no longer use it, her cows would hardly produce any milk without it....these were mostly holstiens. :shrug: