What does everyone do with all this milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Raftercat5, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

I only have one goat, and I'm still feeding her milk to her 2 babies (via bottles). When they're weaned, I'll have all this milk to myself! I plan on making cheese, butter, fudge, soap, and having milk. But...gee, what do you people who have a herd of milkers do with all your milk???
    - Kathy

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I have two LaMancha milkers now and will have two more early summer when they kid. I do get alot of milk. Not as much as someone with twenty milkers! But still, lot's of milk!

I keep my family in raw milk, very healthy, make dairy products, freeze milk for times when I am not milking, sell/barter "Pet Quality" milk (check your local laws regarding selling goat milk). I also feed it to my dogs, chickens, and may get some pigs to feed it to.

I crossed one of my milkers with a Boer buck and she is raising triplet meat goats for the freezer and still giving me a gallon a day for our use. So some of the milk can be used to raise goats for the freezer. You can dam raise meat goats because you don't have to worry about CAE prevention since you are just going to butcher them anyway.

It's wonderful, isn't it?

3. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

Advertise at feed stores, vets: Pet quality goat's milk for bottlefeeding bum lambs, calves, crias, or other orphaned animals...
    You'll probably have a good market for it this time of year!!!

4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Surplus milk is GREAT for feeding to chickens and pigs.

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I make cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. My family can eat cheese like you wouldn't believe!

Oh, and I can the excess and feed it back to the bottle calves. I usualyl wait until I'm getting enough surplus and have enough stored that I can do two calves at a time. And I only get 2 gallons a day...so if I store up 70 gallons of canned milk, I get to keep one gallon daily to my family and two calves get the other gallon plus a gallon of the canned stuff until they're weaned. No milk replacer used here. :)

The chickens, the dog, the pigs, the bottle lamb...you get the idea. Iowa is one of those horrid states for selling milk: not allowed unless you have a dairy license even for pet food...I'm working on them to convince them that I can do it without one for on the farm sales! LOL Wish me luck! It's very frustrating...

-Sarah

6. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

I'm still waiting to get to that point....but I'm anxious to do so. I want to make cheese and with 8 dc we go through a LOT of cheese! Only one doe milking now so we just have enough for the babies and milk for drinking. Two more does due in May so I'm hoping this summer we'll be flowing with milk.

7. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Still haven't made cheese (except for cottage cheese, once), but have mades lots and lots of pudding, icecream, and even yogurt. When there is more than we can anyway use, I put some up in the freezer for the dry period, and can milk for future livestock use (bottle calves, bottle goats, etc.)
    I only milk a few at a time.
    mary

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Well, right now I don't have a lot of milk to spare. First doe to kid was a first freshener, and her teats were still quite small so I left her two kids on her. I won't do that again. When I started separating the kids at night a couple of weeks ago, and started milking Linnet in the mornings, she didn't think I should be doing that, and two weeks later we are still having a wrestling match every morning. Aaargh. I'm getting maybe a quart a day from her, if I can salvage it from our wrestling match (and am having dire thoughts about the freezer if she doesn't shape up in short order). The second doe to kid is a sweetheart, thankfully -- no problems milking her. But she had quads, and by the time I save enough milk to bottle feed them, there isn't much milk left from her for our use. These are both Kinder does, and don't give a whole lot of milk but what they do give is extremely rich (and good!). The next doe due is the OberXBoer. She's always had twins, and is a pretty decent milker, peaking at ten pounds a day last year, so then we should have enough milk to start doing something with it besides just drinking it. Then the last doe will be a yearling Kinder, and I'll be happy if she gives enough for her own babies to start with.

When we DO have a surplus (after all these babies are weaned, sold, or butchered, as the case may be), I make lots of cheese, and some yoghurt. I'll freeze some milk, and also a bunch of cheese. We may make some goat milk ice cream. I'll be making goat milk soap to sell. Any sour milk or milk that just is surplus can be fed to the poultry. The dog gets a couple of cups of milk each day on top of his dog food when we have enough to spare. I hope to start selling milk, too. (Oregon allows raw milk sales under certain conditions: no advertising; no more than two cows or nine milking does on the place; customer uses own containers and has to pick the milk up on the farm.) If I really had a large surplus (unlikely in our current situation) I'd buy a calf to raise, and butcher it for baby beef in the fall. You can also raise pigs on milk -- I don't like pigs, and we have neighbors too close to keep them, anyway.

Kathleen

9. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have three nubian milkers and this is our third season milking. The first year, I bought two, and then borrowed a third! We eventually bought her too. We are adding three more to our milking line very soon. We have no problem using up all the milk. I make cheese, kefir,etc, and we drink LOTS of milk - my dh drank 5+ gallons a week when we were first married, with no children! Now, with three boys, plus dh......

We raise four pigs a year, supplement our lgd with milk, and give any that's left over after that to the chickens. In fact, a friend of mine milks 18 and has lots of extra milk right now and is throwing the old milk out - I pick it up in garbage cans, and feed it to my two hogs. The hogs will be finished soon - and I am planning on buying three piglets, and a couple bottle calves. Some are projects for the boys to raise for profit, and the others are for the family freezer. I can always find a use for milk.

niki