What does a leghorn hen bred with

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by katydidagain, Aug 28, 2009.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

either a RIR or a white Plymouth Rock produce? When I was a kid, I did a science fair experiment involving incubating eggs, opening them at 3 day intervals to preserve in formaldehyde (yes, very unPC and day 18 was awful) and raising the rest. My father picked the breeds: leghorns (the one his family had in 3 huge barns on their farm), RIR and Plymouth Rocks. I'm not sure I had a leghorn rooster but I had hens of all 3, 2 RIR roos and 1 PR roo. I incubated some of the fertile eggs of all colord and ended up with good layers that didn't resemble their parents; it's been 40+ years since I had chickens and cannot recall if I got more roos or not.

I'm having a discussion with Bill about chickens; he totally discounts leghorns but loves Golden Comets. I know I had mutts but is there a name for what I had or might have had? I've searched for information regarding these crosses and come up empty.

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I don't know about that cross, but I have a New Hampshire X brown Leghorn in the brooder right now about 4 weeks old... :)

3. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Leghorn crosses used to be very popular, and the various crosses had their own names. I don't remember all the names, but I remember:

Australorpe rooster X White Leghorn hen = Austra-White
    California Grey rooster X White Leghorn hen = California White

There were others, I just don't remember what they were called. Rhode Island Red rooster X White Leghorn hens was also a popular cross.

4. Saffron

Saffron Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone ever crosses a RIR hen with a Dominik Roo? We did by accident and got a beautiful black hen with black legs

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

My personal favorite cross that I would like to repeat in the future was Blue Andalusians x Easter Eggers. I had a black roo and a blue roo result, both with brown 'highlights', and several blue/black EE pullets the same. Gorgeous birds.

6. cowcreekgeeks

cowcreekgeeks Well-Known Member

The cross between a RIR and a Leghorn produces a Red Star sex-linked chick...in a perfect world.

7. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Red stars lay brown eggs. When you cross a leghorn with a brown egg breed, you get hens that lay off white, cream, or pale brown eggs.

Also, crossing a white leghorn with a colored breed gives chicks of both sexes that are white with colored flecks. They can't be told apart by sex just by looking at down color.

Red stars are a cross between a RIR male and white rock hen.