What do your scarecrows look like?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jackie c, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Do they move and make noise? I'm building lots of them this year out of tin cans. I'll string light peices of metal to make them clang when the breeze hits them, and hang old cd's to dangle from their arms. Hopefully this will help keep birds, rabbits and deer out of my veggie gardens.

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I don't have an actual scarecrow, but I've been saving the shiny CD's for a couple years. I was thinking I'd string them up with fishing line-should work pretty good.

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

two things to add to your scarecrows are unwashed clothing and human hair .also triggered motion sensor spray cannon and a talk radio station to amuse the coons!! have not found anything to deter coonsYET!!! and our neighbour does not like radios playing all night(if it was up to me then they would play at mach all night!! his dog we found eating a sheep!!!!)

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks FM, good tips, I think I'll be getting one of those sprinklers.

6. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I don't have a scare crow, but have successfully kept birds at bay using a combination of approaches:

a six foot, inflatable snake

a full sized owl with movable head

and 100 feet of string with multi-colored banners hanging from it (like they string up around the new car sales lots).

I string up the line with the banners hanging down just a few feet above the tallest vegetables (the corn and the tomatoes).

I move the snake and owl every day, so the birds don't catch on that they are not real.

This method really works.

7. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

My scare crow is a tree branch that I buried in the garden, with an old shirt, sleeves on the two side branches. They hang off the ends a bit so they move in the wind. I put a gourd on for a head and my dh donated a hat to the cause. I've been known to hang an expecially smelly tshirt from work in the garden, and old shoe liners too. The deer are my problem, the birds aren't bad.

8. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

One looks like a remington 12 gauge with a 26 inch barrel, the other looks like a ruger 22 with a 4 power scope. shadowwalker

9. twind59

twind59 Well-Known Member

Mine looks like a high powered b-b gun at close range. It works great...if I have my glasses on.

10. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Hmmm, shadowwalker, I like yours better. :yeeha: