What do your rabb it hutches look like?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rwinsouthla, Jun 28, 2006.

1. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been tossing the idea around for a while and I think I am going to do it. Only, I don't have any cages built yet. What do yours look like? A little about my situation....

4 daughters, would like them to have access to the keepers, not the meat rabbits
    2 acres, half wooded and shaded
    South Louisiana, on average 4-5 30degree nights a year (only one last year, to 31)

Can ya'll post a picture or two, if ya can? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ray

2. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

My rabbits are in all wire stacking cages with trays. I know a lot of people try to avoid using wood because it is hard to sanitize and the rabbits chew it up.

I think rabbits have a harder time in the heat than in the winter(at least mine do)

I have angora rabbits and we also have meat rabbits. My kids play with both but they understand that the meat rabbits will be eaten. I think it is good for kids to know where their food comes from.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I'd agree with holleegee...the traditional wood hutch does absorb urine, it's harder to clean, and the rabbits will chew on it. Now if a hutch is the way you want to go, you *could* build or buy standard hanging wire mesh cages (constructed from galvanized 14 or 16 gauge wire), build a roof and maybe a back wall, but design it so that the cages can be removed for cleaning.

You could also get a small metal carport and hang your cages inside...they're relatively inexpensive and I'm thinking that option may work well for larger home meat operations.

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Um, ok...too busy knocking hutches to read your original question. :) Living in southern Louisiana, I think your biggest concern would be heat. Most rabbits handle cold weather MUCH better than warm weather. A few nights down in the 30's shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a 21' x 30' heavy-duty carport for my rabbits (essentially a small pole building??). With two double rows of large cages, there's room for about 40 cages. It's completely open, basically just a roof, although we will probably be adding wall panels later on. During the winter, I'm probably going to hang tarps or greenhouse plastic on the sides to cut the wind but leave a gap along the eaves for ventilation.

The roof is off-white to reflect heat and sunlight and we also have openings near the peak to help pull heat out of the building. (Heat rises and escapes through the vents.) Controlling summertime temperature extremes and providing good lighting and ventilation were my biggest concerns when we put the thing up. (Gets pretty hot in Virginia.)