what do you use for a food trough?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by luvrulz, Mar 24, 2005.

1. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

I built a v-shaped trough with 2 x 8 on the ends and it's really heavy. One is about 2 foot long and the other is about 6 foot long. The pigs keep tipping them over and moving them so far from the gate that I can't reach them to pour the feed in them! Geesh!

Was wondering what everyone else uses...somewhere I saw some metal ones that attached to the side of the fencing. Does anyone have something they built from lumber? Any ideas will be appreciated!

2. Horace Baker

Horace Baker Well-Known Member

I just use rubber Fortex pans. Yes, it is a pain to collect them every time, but after endless brainstorming about homemade feed troughs, I decided that I needed to have something that was easy to dump out.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

luvrulz, put a post in the ground at each end of your V trough and then lag bolt the trough to the posts. The trough will be in the same place afterward.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I have used a old hot water tank cut in half and used each half one for water and the other for feed , I used to wire them in seperate corners. That kept them from moving them much.

5. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

How timely. I just picked up my bred tamworth yesterday from Wendell. He had a bunch of these feeders like small barrels but cut in half and very low to the ground. Every animal feeder seems to be for horses, cows or goats (way to big)

What feed supply place would have these? I didn't catch a name on the side. Any ideas? He also had these waterer like the galvanized tubs but with a panel on the side that the pigs drink from. Any idea? Thanks!

Dan

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

I bought a regular feeder that will hold 100# of feed at a time, it has two doors that the hogs will raise with there snouts and eat. No wastage this way. Also have a 2 ton feeder that I use when I have 15 or 20 hogs to feed.

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

i have a plastic feeder made from a food grade barrell, cut in half lengthwise, yes they move it , and yes they dump the food, but then they clean it up too, pur piggy hasnt been eating much feed now that hes in a new pasture though