What do you think when you see fireworks?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Jan 5, 2007.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

It's late here but I'll post this question anyway lol.

When you see fireworks, what do you think?

Normally I think, ohhh pretty!...stuff like that.

On News Years I was thinking how the sound of fireworks bothered my Grandpa. He was a veteren of Korean War and Vietnam war. I never remember Grandpa liking the sound of fireworks.

Kat

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Funny you should ask.

When I was working for a personal injury attorney in Texas in the 1980's there was a really disturbing case that came through where a family had been sitting in their pickup truck (mom, dad and two twin girls about 2 years old), watching fireworks across the lake when an unexploded firework "shell" came crashing through their windshield and exploded. One of the twin girls died and the other three suffered burns and extensive hearing loss.

I know that sounds gross, but that is the only thing I can think of now whenever I see a big fireworks display.

As for small fireworks (the kind you buy in a tent). I remember when I was five or six and I grabbed the lit end of a sparkler. I still have the scar.

I am not a big fireworks fan.

donsgal

3. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a young man who rented a place from us once. He was a vietnam vet - and a really sweet person.

Once we were burning trash and there was an aerosol can in the trash. This young man as walking down the trail from his house to ours and the can blew. He dropped to the ground and yelled, "Incoming". No more of those as long as he lived there.

4. SouthWesteader

SouthWesteader Gardener

Ouch! That must've hurt! :eek:

When I see fireworks, I just think "Great display!" - but then, I've never had any accidents...

5. hassette

hassette Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we went to the 4th of July fireworks every year. My mother brought a big orange terry blanket for the four of us to sit on. I loved to watch them explode but the big bang always scared me so I would lean back against my dad and he would put his arms around me. It felt like the safest place in the world to me. He passed away on December 22, 1986 at the age of 49. Today was his birthday. He would have been 70 years old.

Living near Disney World hubby and I go to the Illuminations fireworks at Epcot pretty often. No matter how many times I see it I always get a thrill. I even bought the CD to listen to the music from it in the car. Hubby calls it our theme song. :)

6. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

My parents and I went to watch the fire works one July 4th and had one hit the roof of our car so I like to be a good ways from them.I like to watch them, but I don't like the sound.

7. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

well as for safety since 1970 the ammount of fireworks used in the us has grown to over 6million tons a year (1000%)while the nuber of injuries has dropped to under 9000 (that include sparkler burns ) in 2004 there were I believe 2 fatalities both of which were professionals . Accidents do happen two years ago three young men I knew and had worked with were killed when a shell went off in the magazine they were working in . in seconds 10,000 pounds of fireworks were discharged. Last 4th of july I personally narrowly escaped with my life when a shell ignited in my hand while setting up a professional display
    http://www.ksffa.com/July Firenews/one_injured_in_independence_fire.htm
    http://www.ksffa.com/July Firenews/one_injured_in_independence_fire.htm
    now this is one reason why you should always question what is in new reports .
    all the larger shells were safely in their tube and none ignited . The accident started when I put an eletric ignition device in a 4" shell which ignited in my hand. All safety proceedures were being followed, the ignition was appently caused by static eletricity. I was also the only one one the truck and that was on the liftgate.
    had I been sitting I wouldnt be here today
    What do I see when I see a fireworks display .
    Magic! the magic created bye skilled hands forming paper and chemicals into paints of fire , painting the sky. An art form that while may only last for seconds can leave a child dreaming of them for the rest of their life.
    I get a rush from a good display and when people are still talking about them months or years later you know you did good .
    Today our 94 yr old neighbor lady told me how much she enjoys watching our displays, she said the one 4 months ago was the best yet. she said thank you when you are shooting fireworks it takes me back to my childhood.
    Now what could be better than that

8. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

A friend of mine helped design the air launch system used at disney world.
    I have also had the honor of speaking with the people who design the shows.
    Magneticly armed shells, electronic inshell delays , and some zero fall out products,hard to get any better.

9. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I do think how pretty they are and I do enjoy watching a good display. However, I must admit I also thinking about all that money going up in smoke.

10. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I cringe and try to get home to console my spastic critters and assure them that the sky is not falling. Poor things, they don't understand....

I too, think of the money just burning away... and we had all those stories about kids getting so terribly hurt back home, I just don't see the need for fireworks. As a kid, I never even liked sparklers... family would hand them to me and I would hold it as far away from me as possible and squeeze my eyes shut. Was always afraid if I just dropped it, it might bounce and "get me".

Hmm now... why do we tell kids not to play with fire, but then hand 'em fire on a stick? Just wondering....

11. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I think $$$$$$. Millions of them going up in smoke which could far better be used for medicinal research, feeding the starving millions or a host of other good uses.

They ARE pretty, though.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I used to think they were pretty, if I could watch them from far enough away where the noise wasn't an issue (My son and I both have issues with noise)

Since we got our homestead, though, all I can think of when I see them is how bad it would be if a spark got into the hay.....

13. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies! Many interesting replies! :)

Kat

14. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I think of all the poor terrified dogs (including ours!). My old Lucy was so bad that I would actually have to tranquilize her on holiday weekends. :grump: