Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
late one night about two months ago the dogs started to bark (bout Midnight I guess), anyway... Hubby and I went out to see why..
There was a Jeep parked outside our house, running, lights off.

come to find out, it was a few kids from my boys (15 &14yrs old) school.
Seems they had snuck out of the house and were riding around. They were trying to figure out which window was my sons bedroom window so they could get him to go too.

I stood out in the back yard by a tree watching....

My son opened their window.. and told them they were CrAZY and their Mom would KILL them if they snuck out. (good boys! lol) He then told them to go home before they got into trouble.... At that time I chimed in and said.. "Yes boys..... Go home! there is nothing good that you could get into at this hour."
They apologized and left quickly. VERY quickly, probably because they saw Hubby standing beside me w/ his shotgun lol.

The next morning the story hit the news....
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,282475,00.html

Not long after I saw them 4 were dead. Needless to say I was very upset thinking about the parents and thanking God that mine had the good judgement NOT to go.

This morning this hit the news... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5042725.html

The driver has been brought up on 4 counts of murder.

I'm not sure what to think about it all. YES this boy did very wrong. He killed his younger brother and three of his friends.

But..... wernt they just as guilty as him?

I'm not saying the charges are wrong. and I DO NOT agree thats its the RR company to blame.
But should it be murder charges??

I just don't know. Gotta think on this one.

Its just such a senseless tragity, and too close to home.

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
Yes a tragedy to be sure- thank God your boys knew better!

An unmarked un-lighted RR Xing, it sounds like an accident, but an accident while breaking the law, there is reason to press charges, so sad this young man will have to live with this horrible choice for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
It is such a senseless tragedy.
My first thoughts were on how a railroad crossing did not have any sort of lights or warnings. It seems criminal that there was no warning.
Not to condone the reckless behavior of the children who stole the car, but one has to wonder if the loss of life could have been avoided if common place things had been in place.

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so many rural RR crossongs are unmarked here. Well. they ARE marked w/ a sign, but no flashing lights.
I dont know about other places... Its just known here.... out in the country... Not all are marked....
Thats why you do NOT go 90mph down a dark country road.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do they not offer manslaughter charges in that state? The kid who did this is an idiot, yes, but he's 15 and clearly wasn't out to kill anyone in that car.

I think justice could be met with 2 counts of grand theft auto, reckless endangerment, and manslaughter charges for each of the 4 killed. Murder has to meet the burden of proof of intent and conspiracy. I doubt the prosecution can meet that burden.

My condolences and prayers for all involved. What a waste. :grump:

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
TxCloverAngel said:
late one night about two months ago the dogs started to bark (bout Midnight I guess), anyway... Hubby and I went out to see why..
There was a Jeep parked outside our house, running, lights off.

come to find out, it was a few kids from my boys (15 &14yrs old) school.
Seems they had snuck out of the house and were riding around. They were trying to figure out which window was my sons bedroom window so they could get him to go too.

I stood out in the back yard by a tree watching....

My son opened their window.. and told them they were CrAZY and their Mom would KILL them if they snuck out. (good boys! lol) He then told them to go home before they got into trouble.... At that time I chimed in and said.. "Yes boys..... Go home! there is nothing good that you could get into at this hour."
They apologized and left quickly. VERY quickly, probably because they saw Hubby standing beside me w/ his shotgun lol.

The next morning the story hit the news....
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,282475,00.html

Not long after I saw them 4 were dead. Needless to say I was very upset thinking about the parents and thanking God that mine had the good judgement NOT to go.

This morning this hit the news... http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5042725.html

The driver has been brought up on 4 counts of murder.

I'm not sure what to think about it all. YES this boy did very wrong. He killed his younger brother and three of his friends.

But..... wernt they just as guilty as him?

I'm not saying the charges are wrong. and I DO NOT agree thats its the RR company to blame.
But should it be murder charges??

I just don't know. Gotta think on this one.

Its just such a senseless tragity, and too close to home.
I suppose this is one of those situations where, if you try to blame the parents, everybody just throws up their hands and says..."you can't watch teen agers 24 hours a day". But I can tell you from personal experience that A. There is no way in God's green earth that I could have ever "snuck" out of my house and not gotten caught and B. There is no way in God's green earth I would have ever even tried because I know if I EVER did something like that I would be in such trouble that I would regret it for YEARS, not months.

Today, it seems, children have very little respect for the rules that are set forth by parents. I don't know why that is but this kind of thing is the result. I am very thankful that you have the kind of kids who do respect the rules of your house.

While it is very tragic for everyone involved, I say they got what they deserved. There are consequences for our actions and since they were the ones breaking the rules, then they are the ones that paid the price. Tough noogies.

donsgal

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
TxCloverAngel said:
so many rural RR crossongs are unmarked here. Well. they ARE marked w/ a sign, but no flashing lights.
I dont know about other places... Its just known here.... out in the country... Not all are marked....
Thats why you do NOT go 90mph down a dark country road.
I stop at the ones that are marked *and* have gates. Why? Because when I am driving everybody's life is in my hands and I take it very seriously. No way am I going to cross a railroad track unless I see for myself that nothing is coming.

And I have *never* gone 90 miles an hour, ever.

donsgal

·
Registered
254 Posts
So sad.
Around here we also have unmarked crossings, might get a RR sign, but very unlikely to have lights and all that you might see in town.
I don't know, it was an accident. Yes he was in a stolen car, but wow it was an accident. Don't let him get his license ever, let him serve the time for stealing the cars. He has the rest of his life to know that he is the reason his brother and three friends are dead.
Is he physically ok? I mean how hurt was he? He will also have that to deal with too.
So sad anyway that you look at it.

Blessings,
Debi

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I think driving into an idling train(which would be making noise) is like driving into a wall, if you have your headlights on you can obviously see it, if you can see the road you would likely see a shadow of it without lights, it didn't come speeding up and hit the jeep while they were crossing.
I think "The charge of felony murder is used in cases where someone performed actions that were clearly dangerous to human life while committing a felony. It differs from capital murder, which requires prosecutors to prove that the death was intentional." fits in this case.

·
Living in the Hills
4,537 Posts
I think they are going to have a hard time getting a jury to convict for murder. But he is guilty of stealing the vehicles, speeding, reckless driving and here for driving during restricted hours. The penalty of those crimes is still going to add up to a long sentence. He is already going to service a longer sentence living with his own guilt. The sad part is that nothing the justice systems does will bring back any of those lives. 15 is to young to be responsible enough to drive except for very limited conditions. Are they also charging the other children with grand theft auto? Would every child in the car be chargable? This is incredibly sad.

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
How incredibly sad. It sounds like it was a childish prank gone horribly wrong. The article says he could get up to 40 years in prison for EACH death... that's 160 years in prison. Even at half that, it's still 80 years in prison... most people don't live to the age of 95. If "they" are so set on making this boy an example, why not just stand him up against the courthouse wall and execute him now.... it would be ever so much kinder.

Yes, I do believe in punishment for crimes committed, but the possible sentence he could get is NOT "punishment".

Kitty

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I think it sounds like an horrible, terrible *accident*

Those kids all knew they shouldn't have been out that night.....to blame the driver alone I think is irresponsible.

I feel for the kid .... I think he is going to carry enough of a burden for the rest of his life without being tried for murder.

Thank goodness your boys didn't get in the Jeep with them! How did they handle the news of the accident? I bet that was a lesson drove home. :(

Tracy

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
I don't think murder, manslaughter probably, and all those car issues.

But I also think the train bears some of the blame for being parked across the road at night. I think the train should have pulled clear of the crossing before stopping. (even if it is the custom).

Angie

·
Registered
988 Posts
How awful.......but kids can be so dumb/vulnerable and irresponsible......really this could have happened in day light too. We have RR crossings like that around here too. This is every parents nightmare. Really a car is like a 2 ton weapon and kids really don't get it. When my girls were teens we had rules that never were they to have other kids in their cars....NEVER and of course not be out in the middle of the night messing around. Close tabs on teens with cars is critical. Stolen cars are another deal, altogether. Very sad, and I don't think that the boy that was driving necessarily should be charged with murder, I really don't see any point to that. I surely do pray that his life will turn around.

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
AngieM2 said:
I don't think murder, manslaughter probably, and all those car issues.

But I also think the train bears some of the blame for being parked across the road at night. I think the train should have pulled clear of the crossing before stopping. (even if it is the custom).

Angie
I live in an area where there is a lot of train activity. Sometimes the trains are several hundred cars long, which makes the engine very far from some of the cars, that alone dissapates the sound the engine makes. Sometimes the "parked" idling trains block more than one crossing here. Many of the crossings here you cannot see in the daylight until you are right on them, let alone see them in the distance at night! Many of the crossings here are not marked.

Like I stated before, I do believe this boy deserves punishment for his crimes, but he already has a life sentence and hasn't even been to court yet.

Kitty

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
another fact that was left out of any news reports....

the "stolen" car.... was the boys uncles' car. they took Moms car but it stopped... so they got in their uncles car (had the keys on moms key ring) still wrong.... but its not like they were roaming the streets casing out cars.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
What a horrible situation! How does your son feel about it? What a horrible way to learn that there are really good reasons for mom and dad's rules. I agree that murder will be hard to prove and is overboard. There was a kid in my high school that had a pile of other kids in his car when he passed another car and crashed into an oncoming vehicle. He had been such a happy go lucky class clown kind of kid and it haunted him forever. I don't know that I ever saw him smile again.

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this is one reason why I am sooooooo happy for the new law here...

NOONE under the age of 18 may have more than one other unrelated minor in their car with them at a time.

LOVE it!! And I'm gonna have 2 16 yr olds in the next year!! **shudder**

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
HeavenHelpMe said:
Do they not offer manslaughter charges in that state? The kid who did this is an idiot, yes, but he's 15 and clearly wasn't out to kill anyone in that car.

I think justice could be met with 2 counts of grand theft auto, reckless endangerment, and manslaughter charges for each of the 4 killed. Murder has to meet the burden of proof of intent and conspiracy. I doubt the prosecution can meet that burden.

My condolences and prayers for all involved. What a waste. :grump:

You apparently didn't read the second article, which says:

"The charge of felony murder is used in cases where someone performed actions that were clearly dangerous to human life while committing a felony. It differs from capital murder, which requires prosecutors to prove that the death was intentional."

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.