what do you think of this lamb??

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by punksheepshower, Nov 5, 2005.

1. punksheepshower

punksheepshower LiveLongLaughLotsPlayHard

shes for my school show in february....shes not that bad..these picture really make her look horrible....umm well...can you tell me what you think of her even though the pictures arent that great....and im probably not the best at bracing her because i got a little to used to having my big lamb for harris county and now....i got a lil one so i guess i ll have to learn of course. lol...so..yea..jus give me your opinions on her if you can...
    thanks, steph

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/stephanieslambs/2005-2006 humble lamb/front.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/stephanieslambs/2005-2006 humble lamb/5months-side.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/stephanieslambs/2005-2006 humble lamb/5months-rear.jpg

she really looks like she has no loin and she's short bodied in the side view but thats really not the case....anywho...opinions??

2. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

First off, I want to say your awesome. You never stop! Keep up the GREAT WORK! :goodjob: 2) She'll look fine with maybe another 90-100#s on her...Awesome! :sing: Good luck! I can't wait till ours hit the ground in Feb...WOOTWOOT!
    AJ

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

4. punksheepshower

she'll look good with another 90- 100lbs on her????? that would make her 200 lbs!!! umm..maybe that was a typo??? woooo...im confused. lol. help!

5. Celtic Herritag

Celtic Herritag Celtic Heritage Farms

200 pounds :eek: ahh run away big fat sheep! lol I don't even think a lamb could put on that much wiehgt by feb, its hard enough to get them up there in time then you get them where you want them and they don't stop. Bad! Bad lamb stop getting fat!

6. punksheepshower

no no no. shes not fat. shes only 100 lbs now. i dont even think she'll make it to 120 lbs for show. she doesnt gain weight well. I was just wondering what smoked cow meant. sorry for the confusion.....

7. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

OH LORDY!! I thought we was 50 lbs! hahahaha...Oh dear...Yeah she looks grea tho...15-20 lbs on her woudl be great plenty...haha..I always told dad i cant look at an animal as guess it weight..lol... :D And i have got a sheep up and over 200 before..a yearling ewe..yes...a yearling! she weighed 225, and we've gotten show lambs in the 180s-190-s....its possible! and this is when they are born in Feb and shown in Aug..CRAZY! had a ewe gain close to 2 lbs aday once...
    AJ
    SORRY!!

8. Celtic Herritag

How old is she I'm guessing you guys show at 6-8 months? Is it your first time? If she weighs 100 now she'll weigh more than 120 at the fair, 3 months is enough time to get wight on her.

9. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Actually, she does look long. A little chilly weather might be just the thing to make her pack on the groceries, too.

Here's a pointer that you didn't ask for, but I hope it helps. I know when you snap pics to post here, you're just getting it done quick, but I see something in your pics that I have seen at sheep shows for about 15 years now, and correcting it can make all the difference in the world. Look at your from-the-front and from-the-rear photo's. See how you have the head cocked sideways? Some of that is just how you're holding the lamb, and some of it may be the lamb bracing away from you. Take some time and work to get a feel for having that head absolutely straight center, with the nose pointed straight ahead. With the head straight, the lamb won't cock out that shoulder the way she does in the picture, and the judge will get a perfect view of actual loin length and width instead of flat ribs on one side, a bulge on the other, and an s-curve in the spine. It's really difficult to see when you're standing to one side of the lamb and bracing at the same time, but if a friend can stand behind like the judge and help you get a perfect line, then you'll know how to adjust when you're doing it in the ring.

Good luck with this one! Boy, am I glad we never had to do any February shows... May through October was PLENTY enough!

10. punksheepshower

celtic - we show at 9-10 months. the lambs this year are just tiny. my friends lamb is only 73 lbs.
    and sliver..thank you for the tip i will keep that in mind.

11. Celtic Herritag

Ours were around that weight too, they all looked patheticly small but the fleshed out really nice (everyone else at the show had nice lambs too, I wish I could have taken my lamb back to last year, he would have gotten champ grr). You just have to grain the hell out of them they should pack on enough by fair. I've used calf mana(a small amount be carefull with the copper levels), protien powder, and some powdered wheat germ oil to get them in proper flesh when the looked like they were going to be under. What breeds went into her cross, she looks comercial from the pics?

12. punksheepshower

i honestly have no idea what breeds went into her. she is a mutt. lol. some of the lambs look like dalmations, some look like hamp/suff crosses and alot look like her. with light speckling. theyre all from the same breeder, crossed with the same things, just different percents. soooo...im guessing some hamp, suffolk, and obviouls a finewool...dorset or...maybe some of them have southdown because theyre just sooo tiny....but i doubt that...but im really not sure what is in her. they never bothered to tell us.

13. Celtic Herritag

They never bother to tell us either, it's just "hey this lamb looks good it's yours, when it was born what is it I don't know, around april and it looks like a cross". Just pray she didn't get too much dorset, crazy sheepies. Don't know if you like 'em but i just can't stand thier temperment.

14. punksheepshower

im pretty sure she got a lot of dorset. shes got the realy fine wool and oh my god is she a crazy sheepie!! AGH jesus! lol. i think ill stick with my massive hamp crosses. lol.

15. Celtic Herritag

I love comercial crosses but not when they have dorset, my fave was a hamp columbian, she had the best temperment and frame

16. punksheepshower

well our school got a new breeder this year and i guess he obviously breeds crosses...so we get one more set of lambs from this breeder and then hopefully for my senior year ill get to raise a black face again. i ge trid of this lamb in february and them in getting another one in about april or may. a blackface who hopefully is sane. lol. .....hopefully....;)

17. Celtic Herritag

We basicaly gave up on calling ours suffolks or hamps, they're just crosses now, it was to hard to dispute with the ladies at the fair why the lamb looked a little like whatever.

I'm raising my own from conception, from my own ewes so I can proudly say it is a purebreed suffolk and not a cross, yes! Hopefully I will get some good babies. Last years crop was born to late so I tried to show one as a feeder, but she weighed 2 pounds over the limit. :flame: They moved her into the very bottom of the suffolk class, I thought we were going to place dead last, but she acctualy got placed 6th out of a 20 lamb class. She was only 4 months old and the other lambs were 8 or 9. I was so proud of her, she's going back in my herd as breeding stock. Her temperment is to die for too she acts like a dog and wants to come in the house. She would sit in your lap till she got to big, I even took her Trick or Treating this year when I took my sibs around and she was great.

sorry that was kind of rambling but I am just so happy about her

18. punksheepshower

haha. thats awesome. dont worry about rambling. i do it wayy too often. lol. my lamb follows me like a dog when shes away from somewhere that shes comfortable....other than that...forget it. she hates. me. lol. i sheared her today and she looks....naked. lol. shes all pink and...jus..naked looking. lol

19. Celtic Herritag

Oh I know isn't that funny they act like you're a vicious dog leading them to thier death at home then when your in a new place they cling to you like you're thier lead sheep. They clean up so nice when ya slick 'em, mine always seem to get so dirty. Lanolin's supposed to repel dirt? Bah! It it attracts it. We did an extreme lamb makeover last year, when we were fitting them for the show. Someone took a before and after picture w/ a polaroid and we put them on their stall cards, they got quite a lot of attention

20. punksheepshower

haha. thats really cool. extreme lamb makeovers....gah...we've only had our for well...a month now and some of them desperatly need it. i give mine a bath about every 2 weeks. i jus dont een like to work with them when theyre so dirty. after every bath or shearing i rub in corn huskers lotion or mane n tail so their hide doesnt dry out.