What do you think of this Angora?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by hisenthlay, Jan 8, 2007.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

This is a link to a pic of a neutered male Angora rabbit at a local animal rescue.
    [​IMG]
    I've been wanting to get started with just a few Angoras (for pets and wool and free manure), and I thought this guy might be a good way to start, especially because I'd love to rescue.

They say they think he's about a year old, but don't give more info than that. I'm sure it's hard to tell much since he's been shaved, but do you have any comments for me? I was hoping to get started with French Angoras, and to my very untrained eye, I thought he might be of that type.

Thanks!

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Oh wow, he looks like a purebred Satin Angora. Love that red color on that dude...wish my German girl had that brilliancy! Wonder if he's tattooed...that would tell you right away if he came from a rabbitry.

Satin Angoras are about the same size as French, but have that unique sheen to the coat...so pretty. I don't think they yield as much wool because the coat is finer and they were developed partly from the shorthaired Satins, but a lot of handspinners like the sheen and intense color of the wool.

3. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

What a good looking guy! You sure found a great wool producer!
    I be he was bought for a younger child that thought he was beautiful and the care of his wool got to be more than they wanted to deal with.... I've seen this happen before.

4. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

I agree - that is definitely a Satin Angora. Since the satinizing gene is recessive, he is likely to be a purebred red SA. COOL!!!

I've raised them for about 3 years now. They are a bit smaller than the French, and as pointed out, they do produce a smaller amount of wool. However, its absolutely gorgeous stuff, and people will pay a premium for well harvested SA fiber. Like $8-12 per ounce - and you should expect around 6-8 oz of wool a year off your average SA(some lines will produce more than this, but I am guessing he is pet quality since he is a rescue). Red - which is what he appears to be, is the most in demand color. They take a bit more care to keep them from matting, but the line I have is nearly as carefree as my French Angoras once they get their second coat and the baby coat sheds out.

I have pictures of my angoras on my website to compare him to and some pictures of skeins of red Satin Angora yarns I have been working on lately are posted to my blog.

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com
    (you can reach my blog off the main website)

5. Somerhill

p.s. - does he have an ear tattoo? I might be able to track down his breeder for you if so.
    Lisa again

6. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Go for it, before he's taken!

7. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

He is a handsome fellow. Nice expression too! :)

Do Angoras always look as uneven as that after they are shorn, or did he go to the wrong salon? We sheared our mutt Angora and he looks like that right now... but then it was my first time ever trying to harvest wool.

8. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

he looks very similar to my red satin angora buck.

9. hisenthlay

Awesome--very exciting--thanks, guys! I'm going to go to the shelter, probably tonight or more likely tomorrow night to meet him in person. I'm hoping his choppy haircut will keep the pet seekers at bay for at least that long. I'll find out then whether he has a tattoo. I've already gotten the go ahead from my fiance on bringing him home, so this could really happen! My first rabbit! I'll let you know what happens! :happy:

p.s. Lisa, I can't believe how RED your skein from Roussanne is--if this guy turns out like that, that will be awesome. Considering how pale his hair is next to the skin, I thought the finished yarn would be more the color of your fawn skeins--and that would be very cool, too. I know that they're all paler towards the skin, so I didn't realize you could get such a rich color as your red skein.

10. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Whoo-hoo! Good luck. Have any names in mind yet for him?

11. hisenthlay

Oh boy--don't want to count my rabbits before they hatch--if I think of a name for him, and then somebody else adopts him first, I'll be even sadder. But I have been thinking about it, I'll admit.... ;)

12. Somerhill

You sound as nervous as I was when we applied to adopt our cat. :rolleyes: I figured they would say "no" when I said he was to be a barn cat. But we got Tom-tom, and he is great!
    Best of luck
    Lisa

:rolleyes:

13. hisenthlay

I know, that's how it is with rescue. I understand the reason for it, but it does make the whole thing a bit stressful. I'm afraid they'll give me a hard time about my dogs or something. It shouldn't be a problem, because we're just going to keep him separated from the dogs at all times (penned in the locked basement), and if it gets to be worrisome, we can always move him out to the garage (really just a potting shed, the way we use it--it's a 100yr old brick carriage house with windows, locking doors, cement floor, etc.--can be hooked up to water and electric), and he can definitely be safe and happy penned in there--his own little bunny mansion. :)

I'm going to stop by and meet him tonight--we'll see!

14. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes!
    ~Carrie C.

15. Somerhill

My - its sounds like you will definitely need at least 2 dozen angoras with that kind of mansion to keep them! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

16. hisenthlay

He's home!! I have a bunny!!!! :bouncy:

I met him at the shelter last night, and they didn't give me any kind of a hard time about taking him home. He is not too shy--he hopped all around the adoption room sniffing and exploring--and he is very comfortable with being handled, poked and prodded, held on his back, and snuggled. He's very soft. I have him in a large dog crate for now. At first, all I could get him to eat was Cheerios, but eventually he ate the carrot greens, carrot and apple slices, leaf lettuce, miscellaneous herb cuttings, and wild bird seed I gave him. I'm going to have to get him some hay tonight. After he ate some, he hopped right into his temporary litter box (a cardboard flat with shredded paper inside) and did just what he was supposed to. He kept his cage pretty tidy all night.

All this is to say that I think somebody must've taken decent care of him at some point. But the humane society actually found him as a stray, terribly matted and caked in all kinds of grossness. They cleaned him up, neutered him, trimmed his nails, gave him a flea bath, and tried to shave him, but their clippers burned out halfway through (no surprise). So, he's still got some mats close to the skin. I figure I'll just get some of those round tipped scissors and cut them out, unless there's a better way.

Once I get him a little better cleaned up, I'll post some pics! I'm still trying to think of a name. I have this insane urge to call him something like Percival Q. Fluffypants, but I think I can come up with something more dignified than that. ;)

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

17. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Oh, congrats! And thanks for helping out someone in need. His face looks a lot like my dearly departed Big Red Bunny (a NZ). :Bawling:

Now you're hooked. You know, one bunny is going to be hard-pressed to provide enough poo for a good-sized garden, or enough wool to make anything significant. A second bunny would be good. :)

Yes, you need to think up a better name. :help:

18. hisenthlay

Thanks! Yes, I think he will need a friend. Maybe one in a nice chocolatey or lilac color... :cool: I'm keeping my eyes open for one, but I need to get used to caring for one rabbit first, I think.

Oh, he doesn't have an ear tattoo, so no help there.

Still working on the name, don't worry. ;)

19. Somerhill

Hooray!
    Hopefully, you also will be feeding him rabbit pellets. :) I feed MannaPro in the red/white/blue bag to all my angoras with excellent results. I know that TSC sells it in 25# bags. I know you will ask me how much......so, I fed 1/2 scoop in the AM, and one full scoop in the evening. Now the scoop :p I use a vienna sausage can, which is the perfect size. (I know, weird)

They also LOVE 1-2" banana slices with the skin on. See, you will definitely need more angoras to be able to eat up all the banana slices before they turn brown. HEHE.

The BEST thing I have ever found for removing mats - and actually I use them to clip off the wool for spinning, too. They are Fisgars scissors with the 2 inch sharp pointed blades and the springloaded handles. I get them at Kmart of Walmart or Joann's fabrics for about $8, and they last absolutely forever without getting dulled. (unless you use them to trim off dung tags from your sheep - but that is another thread) With those tiny blades, you can slide them under the worst mats and snip right at the skin. I use one hand to pinch the mat and feel to be sure I don't have a fold of skin, and clip with the other.

Someday soon, Janet in NW PA will be hosting another bunny clipping and grooming party. You could get more tips there.

Names: Cordovan, Fierenza, Red October, Tanner, Carmine, Russet.......or Percival Q Fluffypants. :rolleyes:

Did you see the free SA doe just north of you on this board today???? :help:

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

20. hisenthlay

Thanks for the good info, Lisa, as always. I'll check out those scissors for sure. I was planning on pellets, but I was reading the archives on here yesterday, and saw the thread about natural feeding for Angoras, and the bit about some pellets having beef tallow in them--I do want to avoid that brand, in any event. I'm a vegetarian, like the rabbits, and I wouldn't appreciate if somebody snuck some beef tallow in MY food. LOL. I'll check out MannaPro at the feed store. Thanks for the info on amounts, too. I was just playing it by ear, giving him not too much, and seeing how much he ate. He probably ate about half a cup of the various food last night. The only thing he really turned his nose up at was the sunflower seeds in the bird seed mix. I'll have to get some bananas now, too. :)

I can't wait for the next get-together with Janet & co.!

I did see the red SA doe posted here, but she's in NE PA, which is probably a 6+ hour drive from me here in SW PA. It's a shame. I asked the humane society to call me if they ever got another angora in.

I like your name ideas, especially Cordovan--sort of along the lines of some of what I was thinking--Vermilion, Cinnabar, Rufus (same etymology as rufous). Or some red flower--I have a good list at home I made up years ago. I'm also thinking of old fashioned boy names that sound not-too-manly, like Percy or Clancy or Felix or....? I have a list of those too that I have to revisit. Or maybe a nice slavic name, since I got him right after Russian Christmas, which my family celebrates. He's kind of shy and cute to have a really strong name. Hmmmm.....